Z7-Z6 Lenses

1246729

Comments

  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 704Member
    My first SLR system was the Contax with the Zeiss 50 mm f/1.8. I was shooting with a Minolta CLE and the Leitz-Minolta 40 mm f/2 before that.
    The extra bit of aperture I got with the Nikon f/1.4, and then my 58 mm f/1.2, was helpful with the limited film speeds I was using, but I kept my Minolta and my Leica because the lenses performed better than the Nikkors. With the Z7, the f1/8 and superior optical performance and lighter weight is more to my liking than any previous system I’ve tried.
    At first I was skeptical about f/1.8 vs f/1.4 for the primes and f/4 instead of f/2.8 for the zooms, but after two months, I am convinced Nikon made some good choices.
    I can always use my faster glass with the FTZ, including my Noct, but after the first week, I haven’t done so.
    That clicking sound you just heard was me ordering the 50 mm f/1.8. Maybe this weekend I’ll try side by side 50 mm comparisons of the F Nikkors, the Sigma, and the S-line.
    Does anyone have any particular tests they want run? I can’t do MTFs, but I do have a USAF test target around here somewhere.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • rmprmp Posts: 572Member
    Nikon has a winner NOW! The z7 with the 24-70, f4 is sharper that the D850 w the 24-70 f 2.8, now. I had not considered the "Nikon is going for Zeiss and skipping Sigma. " possibility. But, I sure love my new toy.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 704Member
    I just ordered a 50 f/1.8. Maybe this weekend I'll run some comparisons of the Sigma, Nikkor F mount and S-line. Any requests for a particular comparison test?
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,603Member
    The Nikkor vs the Sigma, both at 1.8, centre, mid, edges and corners please.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 981Member
    @Symphotic, and it would be interesting to hear your impression of the build quality of the lenses.
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    mhedges said:

    I only have the 24-70 but I am very happy with it. I love getting top of the line performance without having to pay for (or carry around) f 2.8 lenses.

    Nikon's releases and roadmap actually seem to make a lot of sense to me when looking at how the cameras might be used by most people. Were as Sony's have basically just copied a DSLR lens lineup on the FE mount they've switched F/2.8 zooms for F/4 zooms and F/1.4 primes for F/1.8 primes for their high performances releases.

    To me that actually seems the most useable size for the Z6/Z7 bodies, for anything larger I would personally want a Pro DSLR sized grip, I wouldn't actually be supprised if we see a camera like that when bigger Z mount lenses start being released,
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,296Member

    mhedges said:

    I only have the 24-70 but I am very happy with it. I love getting top of the line performance without having to pay for (or carry around) f 2.8 lenses.

    Nikon's releases and roadmap actually seem to make a lot of sense to me when looking at how the cameras might be used by most people. Were as Sony's have basically just copied a DSLR lens lineup on the FE mount they've switched F/2.8 zooms for F/4 zooms and F/1.4 primes for F/1.8 primes for their high performances releases.

    To me that actually seems the most useable size for the Z6/Z7 bodies, for anything larger I would personally want a Pro DSLR sized grip, I wouldn't actually be supprised if we see a camera like that when bigger Z mount lenses start being released,
    Well supposedly the Z mount 70-200 2.8 lens will be about the size of the F mount 24-70 2.8 lens. I will believe it when I see it but that would be pretty great if true.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,603Member
    mhedges said:

    mhedges said:

    I only have the 24-70 but I am very happy with it. I love getting top of the line performance without having to pay for (or carry around) f 2.8 lenses.

    Nikon's releases and roadmap actually seem to make a lot of sense to me when looking at how the cameras might be used by most people. Were as Sony's have basically just copied a DSLR lens lineup on the FE mount they've switched F/2.8 zooms for F/4 zooms and F/1.4 primes for F/1.8 primes for their high performances releases.

    To me that actually seems the most useable size for the Z6/Z7 bodies, for anything larger I would personally want a Pro DSLR sized grip, I wouldn't actually be supprised if we see a camera like that when bigger Z mount lenses start being released,
    Well supposedly the Z mount 70-200 2.8 lens will be about the size of the F mount 24-70 2.8 lens. I will believe it when I see it but that would be pretty great if true.
    Well damn! Then I want a D5 style body stuffed with every possible bell and whistle and an f/2.0 holy trinity! I am not interested in small size, but maximum performance in something I can carry all day and my D850 with battery pack and my holy trinity plus the 8/15 fisheye is no problem.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    mhedges said:

    Well supposedly the Z mount 70-200 2.8 lens will be about the size of the F mount 24-70 2.8 lens. I will believe it when I see it but that would be pretty great if true.

    I wonder if that means it'll extend when you zoom, instead of being a fixed length like the F mount ones.

    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,296Member
    BVS said:

    mhedges said:

    Well supposedly the Z mount 70-200 2.8 lens will be about the size of the F mount 24-70 2.8 lens. I will believe it when I see it but that would be pretty great if true.

    I wonder if that means it'll extend when you zoom, instead of being a fixed length like the F mount ones.

    I doubt they will do that with the 2.8 lenses, but we will see. The mockup for the 24-70 they have shown looks to be fixed length to me.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    mhedges said:

    BVS said:

    mhedges said:

    Well supposedly the Z mount 70-200 2.8 lens will be about the size of the F mount 24-70 2.8 lens. I will believe it when I see it but that would be pretty great if true.

    I wonder if that means it'll extend when you zoom, instead of being a fixed length like the F mount ones.

    I doubt they will do that with the 2.8 lenses, but we will see. The mockup for the 24-70 they have shown looks to be fixed length to me.
    It's hard to tell, but I thought the end of the 24-70 where the hood attaches looks like it maybe extends, based on the way it tapers in:


    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,296Member
    BVS said:

    mhedges said:

    BVS said:

    mhedges said:

    Well supposedly the Z mount 70-200 2.8 lens will be about the size of the F mount 24-70 2.8 lens. I will believe it when I see it but that would be pretty great if true.

    I wonder if that means it'll extend when you zoom, instead of being a fixed length like the F mount ones.

    I doubt they will do that with the 2.8 lenses, but we will see. The mockup for the 24-70 they have shown looks to be fixed length to me.
    It's hard to tell, but I thought the end of the 24-70 where the hood attaches looks like it maybe extends, based on the way it tapers in:


    Good point. It does look like that extends.

    I was thinking more of the lens not looking like it collapsed for storage like the F4 version, because I didn't see any of the dot indicators on the zoom ring. But they very well could have left them off for now, anyway.

    Historically f2.8 zooms have been fixed length, right? Is there any optical benefit to this? Or is it more a question of durability and differentiation from kit type zooms?
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    mhedges said:

    BVS said:

    mhedges said:

    BVS said:

    mhedges said:

    Well supposedly the Z mount 70-200 2.8 lens will be about the size of the F mount 24-70 2.8 lens. I will believe it when I see it but that would be pretty great if true.

    I wonder if that means it'll extend when you zoom, instead of being a fixed length like the F mount ones.

    I doubt they will do that with the 2.8 lenses, but we will see. The mockup for the 24-70 they have shown looks to be fixed length to me.
    It's hard to tell, but I thought the end of the 24-70 where the hood attaches looks like it maybe extends, based on the way it tapers in:


    Good point. It does look like that extends.

    I was thinking more of the lens not looking like it collapsed for storage like the F4 version, because I didn't see any of the dot indicators on the zoom ring. But they very well could have left them off for now, anyway.

    Historically f2.8 zooms have been fixed length, right? Is there any optical benefit to this? Or is it more a question of durability and differentiation from kit type zooms?
    My guess is durability and easier to weather seal. The 24-70/2.8 G and E lenses also move in a out a bit when you zoom though.

    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,603Member
    I have handled and shot both the 14-30 and the 24-70. They both extend.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member

    I have handled and shot both the 14-30 and the 24-70. They both extend.

    You handled the 24-70/2.8 S? What did you think of it?
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,603Member
    Small. So light it felt like a toy, but somehow well built.

    Same with the 14-30. I had to look at the label to tell the difference as they are roughly the same weight.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,296Member

    Small. So light it felt like a toy, but somehow well built.



    Same with the 14-30. I had to look at the label to tell the difference as they are roughly the same weight.

    Are you sure you aren't thinking of the F4 lens?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,398Member
    I do hope the S line 2.8 zooms are smaller and lighter than the F mount 2.8 zooms. I hope Nikon can use a new design to take advantage of the fact that the rear glass element can be much closer to the sensor.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,398Member
    "At f1.8 the Nikon Z 35mm f1.8S holds it own against the reference Otus lens with a slightly softer FX-corner. "

    "The new Nikon Z 35mm f1.8S sharpens up quite nicely when stopped down to f4 coming very close to the Zeiss Otus which still has the sharper FX-corner.

    "Overall Nikon’s new Z 35mm f1.8S lens proves its merit against my reference wide angle lens in this class, the Zeiss 28mm f1.4 Otus. The Z Nikkor may lag a bit behind in the FX-corner but it is a clear improvement over its F-mount predecessor, the Nikon 35mm f1.8G."

    "The new Nikon Z 35mm f1.8S comes in first place over the Zeiss Otus in this long-distance test. Even wide open it produces a slightly sharper DX-corner and pulls ahead when stopped down in the FX-corner, too."

    "The new Nikon Z 35mm f1.8S has a little less coma wide open than the already pretty good Zeiss 28mm f1.4 Otus. And at f4.0 the Z Nikkor is free of coma while the Zeiss Otus still retains some."

    The 28 mm f1.4 Zeiss Otus he is comparing it to costs $5000.00. The Nikon S 35mm costs $850.00. Is that new S lens expensive because it costs more than the $530.00 Nikon 35mm f1.8 G lens or is a huge bargain because it is so close to the $5,000 Zeiss Otus and it includes auto focus? I think it is a great bargain but you may feel differently.

    https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z-35mm-f1-8s-review/



  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,603Member
    MHedges, I am sure that I AM thinking of the f/4.0 lenses. Sorry, I misunderstood. I have the 2.8 holy trinity. The 24-70 does extend.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,398Member
    "Imatest showed the review lens to be a top-notch performer on the Nikon Z7 we used for our tests. Centre resolution in JPEG files exceeded expectations for the camera’s 45.4-megapixel sensor. This is a sensational result for a camera with such high resolution.

    The best results were at aperture settings between f/2.8 and f/4.0, although resolution remained high throughout the full aperture range, with only a slight reduction occurring at f/11 and f/16, where diffraction began to take effect. The graph below shows the results of our tests."

    I could not figure out how to copy and paste the Imatest chart but it is quite impressive. Look for yourself. https://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/lenses/other-ilc/nikkor-z-35mm-f-1-8-s-lens/

  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,398Member
    "The Z 50mm f/1.8 S is terrifically sharp, only fractionally down on the significantly pricier Z 35mm f/1.8 S, and that’s the sharpest lens we’ve ever tested.

    Aberrations are practically non-existent at any aperture, and we couldn’t induce any sign of distortion.

    Of course achieving maximum sharpness when working with such a tiny depth of field available at f/1.8 requires super-accurate autofocus, but in our testing with both Nikon’s Z 7 and Z 6 bodies, the Z 50mm never missed its mark and consistently delivered maximum sharpness with no focus hunting."

    https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/nikkor-z-50mm-f18-s-lens-review
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,398Member
    Imatest "To get superb results across the entire frame, set the aperture to f/5.6. The lens is just about at its best here (4,652 lines), with edges that hover around 4,300 lines—outstanding results all around. We see very similar results at f/8 (4,649 lines) and f/11 (4,597 lines). "

    https://www.pcmag.com/review/364801/nikon-nikkor-z-35mm-f-1-8-s
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,398Member
    "As for Nikon’s promise of exceptional image quality, the Z 35mm f/1.8 S doesn’t disappoint. It is exceptionally sharp and clearly engineered for the high standards of the 46-megapixel Z7 — we couldn’t even tell the difference between f/8 and f/1.8 based on sharpness alone. Most lenses will be sharper stopped down, even with a lens test chart, the Z 35mm performed just as well wide open, from the center out to the edge of the frame."

    https://www.digitaltrends.com/camera-lens-reviews/nikon-z-35mm-f-1-8-s-review/
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,296Member

    MHedges, I am sure that I AM thinking of the f/4.0 lenses. Sorry, I misunderstood. I have the 2.8 holy trinity. The 24-70 does extend.

    No worries. I didn’t realize any of the 2.8 lenses extended till now.

    @donaldejose lots of good info thanks. These lenses are really looking to be great!
Sign In or Register to comment.