I HATE MICRO SD CARDS...DO YOU?

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 1,761Member
edited May 29 in Nikon Z cameras
Now the word is that dual card slots means adding a Micro SD slot. Personally I have never had any success with Micro SD whatever brand I use . These seem to be the most faked item on the planet.
Anyone have any long lived Micro SD and if so what Brand ?
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• retreadretread Posts: 506Member
    The only micro sd card I have is in my phone. Don't touch it. I don't want one in a camera just because they are too small to handle and easy to loose.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 1,005Member
    edited May 29
    Totally agree. They are terrible. Super flimsy, so easy to lose. They will slow your camera down compared to just using the XQD. And yes there are fakes everywhere. I have bought 3 micro SD cards and one was fake (or defective, not sure).

I don't consider the addition to be a value add at all. I would almost certainly just stick with XQD only.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 256Member
    I use them in tablets and phones because none of these devices seem to come with a SATA port for a hard drive... :smiley: They're a bit slow for access (even the so-called high speed devices), but to me better that than relying on the internal device media...

I've had failures with them in writing Raspberry Pi disk images, but not in normal subsequent use. They are a PITA to handle; I think I've picked larger things out from between my teeth than these...
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 1,761Member
    It seems strange to match the best (QXD ) with the worst (micro SD) in a camera maybe if its a Z3 the owner will not even take out the card but for a Z9 which is the proposal it seems strange. XQD +micro SD is what I reading for the Z dual card models.
    I read that as only being for the lower end Z, and any Z9 type camera would have dual XQD/ CFe
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 3,933Member
    edited May 30
    I have a bunch of micro SD cards, other than one that was dead on arrival they have been fine. All of the cards are used in continuous loop recording video cameras, that run at least 1 hour a day. I have Lexar, which you cannot get anymore of course, Sandisk, and A-Data, at this point. Most are 32GB, and a few 64GB cards. Some are 3 years old and still going strong.

Are they small and a pain to use? Yeah, not my favorite card format, but smaller devices need smaller storage, no way around it without being forced to use cloud LTE based storage, which would be an endless money pit.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 116Member
    I have tw0 32Gb Lexar SD cards, used as in-camera ((D800) backups (in an adaptor).
    Never had a problem. But I haven't used them much, except for a few videos & a raft of photos, presumably when my CF card was full & I didn't notice :#
    Now residing in my D850 for the same purpose
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,016Member
    As PB_PM said, I also am not a big fan of them as they're too small to be easily removed and replaced. Space is at a premium however, and I understand why they went with it. I think it's not really for storage you remove frequently, it's more for dashcams and phone external storage mostly.
    I just put a 64 gig card in a new dashcam.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Right - they are terrible for applications where you have to take them in and out all the time.

Maybe Nikon figures folks will just connect via USB and not use a card reader? Or use WiFi?
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,016Member
    edited May 31
    mhedges said:

Right - they are terrible for applications where you have to take them in and out all the time.

Maybe Nikon figures folks will just connect via USB and not use a card reader? Or use WiFi?

I'm kind of curious, what happened to WiFi enabled SD cards like EyeFi? How come I don't see them being used as frequently as in years past?

MicroSD cards are super finicky. I was removing a microSD card from my dashcam and the tab on the MicroSD card was so small I couldn't get it out because I had just cut my nails.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S