E type vs G type vs Tamron: What's the Difference

2»

Comments

• MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I still have not made a decision (not even sure I want another lens to carry around). However I just noticed the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G. Not sure why I never looked at this before. Yes, 20mm is not as wide as what I was considering, but f/1.8 would be better for astro and night shots than f/2.8. The price is really good too. DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE EXPERIENCE USING THIS LENS?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I do. I got it for the reasons you are considering it. I found its performance in terms of abberations to be average so I sent it back. Your mileage may vary.
    Always learning.

I do. I got it for the reasons you are considering it. I found its performance in terms of abberations to be average so I sent it back. Your mileage may vary.

Appreciate the feedback. I may just stick with what I have or go for a bit wider.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

Appreciate the feedback. I may just stick with what I have or go for a bit wider.
    A lot of people rate the 14mm Rokinon/Samyang.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited November 2019
    14mm Samyang ..my favorite lens ..set at 10ft f5.6 just shoot ..crop later . great holiday walk about lens and cheap ( two versions manual and auto focus) Sharp beyond belief.

The major difference between Nikon and Tamron is for many you can use the tap in console so if you have a camera without fine focus adjust you can do it in the lens rather than in the camera and get perfect focus through the zoom and distance ranges.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    I did look at the 14mm Rokinon (Samyang) and that is still a consideration, though I may not buy any lens and just stick with what I have. However two nights ago I was shooting in a tight space (a historic observatory) and a wider lens would have come in handy.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Turning the camera portrait and taking 3 shots to stitch together works good for me
    Well it took almost a year but I finally bought the Tamron 15-30 G2 last week. I have only used it briefly but I love the feel of it. Will have to test the sharpness but I assume it's good.