4 Bodies, 11 Cameras

2»

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    MHedges, I agree. But it should be done. Even if it increases sales by 10%, the camera manufacturers spend more than this will require on smaller improvements. As a Z50 user, I should be able to connect my camera to SnapBridge on my phone (or whatever) and send small JPEGs to my Instagram feed (or whatever) through SnapBridge. I should be able to select all photos, photos I select on either my camera or phone or whatever. I should be able to select all sizes from about half a meg all the way up to the original raw files. it should also save the files to an online SnapBridge site that I can access anywhere anyhow I want. Will this chew through batteries? Sure, but that is not an excuse to for Canikony not to do it, but an excuse for me to bring more batteries. This and GPS should be standard in every camera Nikon makes.

Will it save the industry? Probably not. But it will stem the decline to some unknown but not trivial extent. It might also create a steady pipeline of new enthusiasts (of unknown size, but not trivial) that eventually upgrade to new gear

For alot less than $50 million Nikon could get this done including working out the bugs in two years (I am conducting a study on creating a vastly more complex piece of software so I have some idea what it will cost).

If Nikon is not working on this as we speak, I might be forced to conclude that they are living in a more opaque bubble than I feared and should probably consider holding off on gear purchases for a while and see if Canon figures it out first. I am probably overstating the problem, but it is tempting.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member

This is a very interesting article from Thom that has given me new things to think about:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/followup-on-nikons-financia.html

The only finding I get from his post is that he's grumpy. Actually it's not even a finding, it's just another confirmation.

Honestly, there is nothing revolutionary about his point, even 10 years ago. Execution is always the difficult part. We all know Nikon lacks competency in quite a few areas, but all he comes across is an armchair quarterback in American terms. Also there is no point for him to keep on rehashing his argument. Whoever read his blog for a couple times knows his position. And I don't even believe having communication capability will save the camera industry.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I think Nikon should focus on Z mount full frame cameras, lenses and accessories, for professionals and enthusiasts. They don't need a lot of camera models, but rather stay focused and release new updates often.

I think that Nikon should try hard to get Sigma and Tamron to make Z mount lenses. I don't think Nikon is big enough to have a mount of their own.

I am not sure that Nikon should make software for Instagram. They should however be innovative when it comes to core photography functionality. For example, I think eye af for birds would be nice :).
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Considering how hobbled together Snapbridge is, I'm not surprised. But like others have said, what Thom Hogan is saying isn't new, he's been saying that for years. We'll see. Seems like Nikon isn't the only camera manufacturer hurting and Olympus may close up shop within the next year.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S