AF with the Nikon Z6 and Z7

2»

Comments

• BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    The XQD card actually only fits in the one correct way, so even if you got confused you couldn't put it in wrong, so not an issue.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    BVS said:

The XQD card actually only fits in the one correct way, so even if you got confused you couldn't put it in wrong, so not an issue.

Right. And there's a tab on the rear top to make it easier to take out which also helps with getting it oriented correctly.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    BVS said:

Yea, somehow even I was able to figure it out on the first try without reading the instructions. Just lucky I guess.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    If you are as stupid as Rockwell you put a bit of white paint in the arrow indent ..dumbo
  • axlroseaxlrose Posts: 38Member
    Here is a presentation of AF of Z6. Even in low light. Nice video to show it (around 8min onwards)

Is maybe there any other video that could show AF-C single point focusing in low light?

Also...Z6 supports CFExpress or not?
    Crap photographer cannot even get the bride on the correct side of the groom but the camera seemed to do a good job.
  • axlroseaxlrose Posts: 38Member

Crap photographer cannot even get the bride on the correct side of the groom but the camera seemed to do a good job.

Yeah, photographer is in his own world. :) Maybe too many things to do, so he forgot to work properly. But it is a good demonstration of AF. But I guess I have to rent it out to see it myself. I won't buy it before I test it.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    I like this video it is just to see the AF in real life.

For single point AF (which I use often) I should use the back button AF. I have this switch under U1 and under a touchscreen button.

User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    In what situation wouldn’t you use back button AF?
    edited December 2019
    When I want to keep my object in the center, crop in post and I know what photo I want, which fit in the frame of course. Most of the time when I don't use AF-C and the single AF point with AF-S , for example in a museum.

On U1 for the Z6 I have the settings:

- AF-ON button set as "Reset select AF Center Point".
    - a7 - AF activation - ON
    - AF-S
    - Aperture - F/5.6
    - ISO - Lo 0.5

At home, the first thing I do is to reset my camera with "my own defaults" on the buttons M-A-S-P, this has everything to do with my short memory capabilities, which are not available anymore :) .

I have the checklist on my wearable brains (my phone of course), where I also have the settings I made on U1 - U2 and U3.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Good plan Ton.
    Always learning.
    I have an even better plan . do all your settings in Aperture mode then don't move anything and tape up the dials
    edited December 2019
    Nah, I want to have some fun and then we do not even need a hightec camera. I use M most of the time, S for bif and even P for some time. Also my mobile becomes better and better :).

But new times are on the way, the camera's with one button and AI, till that time use the AI in Luminar and look at all your overboosted photo's, a lot of people like those.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited December 2019

If you are as stupid as Rockwell you put a bit of white paint in the arrow indent ..dumbo

His Z50 review is up now, and surprise, he loves nearly everything about the camera saying it's one of the best he's ever used.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=F8Z3cl6rmHg
    Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    Yes but I never seen a comment saying the AF is as good as a D850 so we wait ,,,
  • BigSBigS Posts: 2Member
    As an enthusiast photographer, I have found the AF on my Z7 to be more than adequate for anything except very fast action. Shooting my daughter's indoor hockey, the AF was more than able to keep up. The shots I missed was more me than the Z.
    If I must complain its more the wake up speed (compared to my D850) that's more frustrating as it takes a second or so to wake up after a period of dormancy.
    edited December 2019
    @Pistnbroke AF single point is very fast and very accurate. See also the lab tests from Photography Life.

@BigS yeah that wake up is frustrating indeed, there is no setting to change this. I have the Z6 always on and press the AF button, when I get it.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    BigS said:

As an enthusiast photographer, I have found the AF on my Z7 to be more than adequate for anything except very fast action. Shooting my daughter's indoor hockey, the AF was more than able to keep up. The shots I missed was more me than the Z.
    If I must complain its more the wake up speed (compared to my D850) that's more frustrating as it takes a second or so to wake up after a period of dormancy.

The wake up lag is annoying. I try to remember to half press the shutter as I'm bringing the camera up to my eye - that helps some.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member

Yes but I never seen a comment saying the AF is as good as a D850 so we wait ,,,

I don't think it is. See this video for comments on the auto focus when using D850 and Z7 with 500/4 and 500/5.6: