Nikon D880

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Such a shame if the D880 doesn't have pdaf - that means Nikon DSLR live view focusing will never be as good as Canon. BIG shame Nikon.
    Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited January 2020
    I would be shocked if it didn't. Gotta think any future DLSR's will have PDAF. D780 does, after all. And all indications are the D6 does too.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    No posts on this topic in a year and a half. Mirrorless (Nikon Z) is clearly their focus and I am doubting that a D880 will ever be released. However, on a camera thread on another (non-photo) forum, someone mentioned something they saw in the January 2021 issue of "Nikon magazine". (I tried to press for details on which magazine exactly but did not get a straight answer - it may have been N-Photo?). Anyway that magazine claimed that a D880 (D850 successor) and D580 (D500 successor) would be released in September 2021. Since that is only two months away and we have nothing reported here, I don't believe it. But if a print magazine published the claim, does that mean these models are coming at some point?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I doubt there will be a DSLR D850 replacement now, doesn't make sense.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    It seems unlikely to me as well, at this point. But I keep coming back to the new AF module in D6 - would they really have developed such a thing for only one camera?

Maybe D880 was planned but scratched due to declining sales / ROI forecasts.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    mhedges said:

It seems unlikely to me as well, at this point. But I keep coming back to the new AF module in D6 - would they really have developed such a thing for only one camera?

Maybe D880 was planned but scratched due to declining sales / ROI forecasts.

Or part shortages.

Or part shortages.

Yep good point - that too.
    It was the perfect storm to kill the DSLR, demand for mirrorless is strong, part shortages, and a refocus of development dollars.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    PB_PM said:

It was the perfect storm to kill the DSLR, demand for mirrorless is strong, part shortages, and a refocus of development dollars.

Could very well be. If that's how it shakes out, I'll have to fish or cut bait. I like my D750 and D7200. I cannot afford to reinvest in new S-line glass and I like the feel-in-the-hand of my DSLRs. So, 1) stand pat and count on my current bodies for the rest of my photo-taking life, or 2) buy one of the last D500s and D780s or D850s to come off the line. No need to decide now, but I suspect the time may be here sooner than I had thought.
    edited July 2021
    I was thinking the same thing, but then decided I can live with fewer lenses, I don't need to replace all my F-mount glass with Z-mount glass. I can live with 2-3 lenses I think. Likely keep my D850 till it dies, but some kind of mirrorless is the future for sure. I don't take 20+k images a year any more, so my last DSLR should last a long time.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    I am with Capt and PB ...dont take enough photos now to justify spending as I have 3 Nikons 850 7200 600 and the lenses for general and wildlife for myself and wife . To go spend £2-3K is OTT.
    Todays announcement from Nikon about production delays probably says No 880
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I third that.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

I am with Capt and PB ...dont take enough photos now to justify spending as I have 3 Nikons 850 7200 600 and the lenses for general and wildlife for myself and wife . To go spend £2-3K is OTT.
    Todays announcement from Nikon about production delays probably says No 880

Hey Pistnbroke. You have a nice combination with the D850, 7200, and 600. Last year I sold my D750 and battery pack to someone moving up from an APC model and bought the D780. It's a fantastic camera and more refined than the D750. Although I have only just started to explore the live view and movie side of the camera, I am amazed how good it is. As the Nikon Representative told me and 50 others on a Zoom call, the D780 is a fantastic Hybrid camera. It has the DSLR and the best of the mirrorless movie side. The Live view number of focusing points face and eye recognition in Movie mode are excellent.

I am suggesting you sell off that D600 and buy a D780 body. It's a nice lighter weight companion to the D850 and when your ready to expand to movies, it's the best of any movie mode in the DSLR line.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Personal opinion I do believe there will be a D850 replacement and totally agree it has been delayed due to parts and the shifting of sales. Still believe that we will see it, but when? Probably 2022.

I actually went back into this thread to see what has been written, lots of content.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    photobug 850/7200 are for the birds and live in the floor safe. The D600 bought cheap with a new shutter installed is for ebay and around the house/car stuff, useful in DX for small file sizes. Bit of a change from 2 x 850 and 810 2x7200 and a 3200 all for the weddings. The weekend warriors have killed all that .
    I use my 7100 for birds and use the D780 for soccer and baseball and basketball games with my workhorse 70-200 E F/2.8 lens. The D600 fits well for you and I know what you mean about the change from the D850 and D7200.

I have not shot birds (BIF) in years and can't wait to see how the D780 would handle that. My D7100 probably has been not been used much the past two or three years, especially after getting the D780. It's my go to camera and creates terrific images, especially in U9 & U10 baseball games.
    L-Forum (for Leica) has a great, short post from January 2020 that is still just as true today. The two sentence text says little more than the title, which says it all: The Nikon D880 and the Loch Ness Monster are not real.
    https://l-forum.com/index.php?threads/the-nikon-d880-and-the-loch-ness-monster-are-not-real.5365/
    Rethink of strategy:

My original strategy with f-mount was to reserve it for my zooms, particularly the holy trinity of which I have the latest and greatest and since I am not using these where IQ is critical, I feel no need to upgrade to the Z versions - despite having to acknowledge that they are better. That meant buying a second D850 or a D880 so I have two bodies (I often like to have two bodies as it involves less lens changing and I have a backup body).

I have been thinking about the Z9. Just before the D6 came out I thought to myself that if it had the 45mp sensor, that would be my second D850 - the only reason that I bought the D850 instead of the D5 was the sensor.

It occurs to me that the Z9 with its 45mp or greater sensor and Nikon's promise of "AF better than the D6" is my D6 but in Z. But one other issue remains - that is the FTZ adapter. I don't want to be fooling around with that.

So the solution is to get a 6 FTZ adapters - one each for my 8-15, 14-24, 24-70, 28, 70-200 and 105 and never take them off. Then I essentially have decent Z mount lenses without having to deal with the FTZ.

I will reserve my D850 for my 400 2.8E. That is because I have the three TCs and want to continue to use them. Two mount points is too much in my view and I would be back to fooling around with FTZs. And if I need a back up body I still have a Z9 or there may still be D850/880s available.
    @WestEndFoto Why can't you get one FTZ adapter and leave it on the Z9 all the time?

@WestEndFoto Why can't you get one FTZ adapter and leave it on the Z9 all the time?

I will be constantly taking it on and off when I switch between f and z lenses.
    Hmm. Well I'm not sure the F 14-24 or 24-70 really warrant such veneration (ie dedicated FTZ) compared to the Z mount versions.
    edited July 2021
    Seems like a strange approach, when you consider the price of each FTZ adapter (you'd be looking at nearly $1k just in adapters). Might as well just sell of your least used gear and get the Z versions of what you use the most and forget the rest.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    PB_PM said:

Seems like a strange approach, when you consider the price of each FTZ adapter (you'd be looking at nearly $1k just in adapters). Might as well just sell of your least used gear and get the Z versions of what you use the most and forget the rest.

Exactly.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    @WestEndFoto only one of those lenses doesn’t have a markably better Z version. I would take that £1500 in FTZ's and those lenses to trade up for Z versions.
    edited July 2021
    PB_PM said:

Well, let's do that math. We will use my 70-200 2.8E as an example. We will use US prices, despite me being Canadian.

If I buy an adapter just for that and leave it on, that will cost me a couple of hundred bucks. However, I am getting them for $139 CDN as I buy bodies. For a couple of hundred bucks, I have a 70-200 2.8E that works well on my Z bodies.

If I take your approach, how much will I get. Adorama has an excellent condition 70-200 2.8E for $1,649.00. I might get that much if I slog away on Ebay, but my time is worth enough that even if I did get $1,649 for it, I might be in the hole and I would certainly net less than a $1,000. If I took it to Adorama, I would probably get $1,000.

I would then have to buy the 70-200 2.8S which currently sells for $2,596. Subtract the $1,000 and the FTZ and my net bill is about $1,450.00.

Now, I acknowledge that the 70-200 2.8S is the best 70-200 made by anyone - bravo Nikon. However, the 70-200 2.8E is the second best 70-200 made by anyone (IQ wise - I don't care about weight), including the two Canon 70-200 2.8 lenses.

Is that little margin of IQ worth $1,450.00? Nope! Especially when I only use zooms for events etc. and the people that I send the pictures to probably would not be able to tell the difference between the two or even a third party lens.

And since I am talking the 8-15, 14-24, 24-70, 28, 70-200 and 105, that is six lenses. Even if Z versions were available the extra cost would be say: $8,000. I will save that money for an 85 1.2S, maybe a 135 1.4S and I will still have a few thousand left over.

Post edited by WestEndFoto on