What Z lenses are you looking forward to or hoping for

123457»

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

mhedges said:

Good point. Also Z9 lost a somewhat expensive component (the shutter) and I'm not sure what could be dropped from lenses to achieve a similar savings.

VR perhaps.
    They already dropped VR from the shorter glass, didn't drop the price. Long lenses, it's been long known that VR in lens does better with long glass, even more so combined with in body stabilization.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited December 2021
    Hmmm. I have no idea how lens based VR works. I wouldn't think it's inexpensive, but I couldn't say. I'm guessing the lack of a price change is about padding the marginal revenue. I'm also guessing Nikon isn't keep in-lens VR for the longer Z mount glass.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    All of the longer z glass has in lens vr, even the 105 macro which isn’t all that long. The only questionable one is the 24-120 - it does not have vr but could possibly benefit at the long end.

As far as cost - the later cheap dslr DX lenses all had vr versions, so it can’t cost too much at least in those cases. Sometimes there were slightly cheaper non vr versions, which made no sense to me, especially in the latest 70-300 af-p lens. My guess is cost starts out cheap for low end implementations (very small moving groups, possibly less precise overall operation) but does increase somewhat for bigger lenses.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    VR isn’t expensive. To make a lens cheeper you drop the aperture size, reduce the AF motors to single or slower motors, and you cut down on weather sealing and build quality. The 800 PF may be cheeper than the F version due to the smaller front element. But in all S line lenses there isn’t anything to cut to make aggressively priced lenses. If you are waiting for a cheep big lens that’ll be the 200-600 f/5.6-6.3 which will likely have one AF motor instead of the two you see in the 100-400.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    mhedges said:

The only questionable one is the 24-120 - it does not have vr but could possibly benefit at the long end.

Most likely doesn't need it, I find the in body stabilization good enough on the Z 24-200mm.

I get having it on the 105 micro, it's tricky to get stabilization right on a macro lens, so the more angles of stability the better!
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited December 2021
    The 24-200 does have VR though. Agree that the 105 probably got it because of the macro.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    My Z S 100-400 lens is very good! Glad I bought it and was able to get one so quickly. I'll need the 1.4 Z teleconverter pretty soon though!
    Yep I plan on getting one too, once my bank account recovers.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Still waiting for the 85 1.2S!
    edited December 2021
    The Z 200-600 may be the last lens I need ASAP. I await the chance to even ORDER the Z 9. But I would be actually far more interested in a Z version of the D 500. Some lust for narrow depth of field I prefer wide depth of filed back when I owned large and medium format cameras wide depth of field was the BIG DEAL hence the F 64 movement. Being able to shift and tilt lens was USED mostly to get near and far, all into focus. Discussion of bokeh is totally lost on me. I still have better than average vision for a human, and never once have I seen circles like in MANY photos and video, or lens flares.....
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    I have been looking for a wide angle Nikon Z lens for The Z9 and my Z 6 II. I see NO reason to get a Nikon 14-30 as many feel the 14mm is not all that great. I would buy a 16 or maybe even 20mm prime Z. I have an old school 20-35mm Nikkor on my F5 that was awesome. Still shoots nice photos with 100 ISO Fuji Film. But I am reluctant to use that 20-35 lens on a Z Camera, either the Z 6 II or Z 9.

I notice that ALL of the responses to what lens people want seems to stop at about 20mm and not much response to wide angle. Having owned Nikon Shift wide angles I would NEVER buy another. A TOTAL waste of money. I had very wide angle Nikon on a 8x10 camera and that was quite good, but mostly I used 210 to 300mm on that format which was from wide to about normal. I got out of medium format and large format in time to get top dollar for the used gear. Which was all bought for the owner of a big camera store.

But a wide even f4 Nikon Z prime might be a good lens to buy. I will NOT buy another FTZ type adapter. I have never even mounted mine....
    edited February 2022
    Are any after market companies making a wide prime for Z cameras?? Like Lowwa which I don't even know how that is spelled, but we use a number of that brand for quadcopters and they make quite wide lens for X7 cameras for DJI quadcopters...We also use quite a few Zeiss lens for the Quads. I'm the one in this family that still uses Nikons the most but we sure have some D500 gear...
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    The newest post on the main page today shows an updated road map (October 2022). A new lens I find intriguing is 70-180. Although it's only a line drawing, it looks quite compact. Assuming it is f2.8 it could be a great lightweight alternative to 70-200. However, given the compact design, it might follow the route Canon went with their R 70-200 which is an extending zoom design that does not take teleconverters.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    Followup to my previous post. After I thought about it, I realize Tamron makes a 70-180 f2.8 for Sony E mount. Considering Nikon is now putting their name on some Tamron lenses, it seems likely it will be this one in a Z mount?

Followup to my previous post. After I thought about it, I realize Tamron makes a 70-180 f2.8 for Sony E mount. Considering Nikon is now putting their name on some Tamron lenses, it seems likely it will be this one in a Z mount?

This is indeed the Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 as is in the same line as the other two rebranded Tamron lenses.
    Yep it's the Tamron but it's considered to be an excellent lens from what I understand. Certainly better than the V1 28-75 we got.
    https://www.flickr.com/groups/14845134@N21

As I did before with the 800mm f/6.3 here is a wee group that I’ll be shoving in wildlife pictures taken with the new 400mm f/2.8 TC. I’ve only just got it and went about hand holding it for four hours in the snow.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Impressive @photobunny.
    Always learning.
    edited December 2022
    https://photos.photobunny.co.uk/_DSC9216.jpg
    https://photos.photobunny.co.uk/_DSC8756.jpg

Here’s two full size jpg from the 400 f/2.8. One with and one without the built in TC engaged.

Again hand held since tripods and monopods can be a fuss.
    Post edited by photobunny on
    I could do with Nikon putting out some tilt-shift lenses(preferably macro) and something in the 1-5x macro for jumping spiders.