Silence will be the end of the DSLR

13»

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Qantas already have a no jab no fly policy
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I agree, but the conspiracy theorists and other idiots are not an insignificant number amongst us. Shame the virus doesn't target idiots.
    Anyway, back to the silent shutter killing the DSLR (or not).
    Always learning.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Thanks for getting this back on track spraynpray!
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member

Thanks for getting this back on track spraynpray!

Yes.....
    edited December 2020
    I do recall that SnP was the first to mention Virus so thanks for getting this back on track SnP.
    In the end, we won't have a choice .for now its DSLR or Mirrorless then it will go mirrorless only available with shutter and silent and in the end, they will remove the shutter. Silence is golden dont they say .I think that's Hobson's choice.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    There are always options. You always can vote with your wallet for something else.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    After years of CD's being king (for music), vinyl records are making a comeback (I believe partly because people like the feel of holding something larger and tangible). Maybe after mirrorless has taken over for a while, SLR's will make a comeback for the same reason (and because people will miss hearing the sound of a mechanical click when they take a picture).
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    We have to remember that the 'old tech' doesn't stop working or start producing bad images just because new tech has come out. Great pictures can still be taken with the old 12mp sensor cameras.
    I'm with wef in that I want all the buttons that my D850 has (and more) on any new body.
    Always learning.
    I am sure we will get an optional beep to tell us its worked when they go silent
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Actually old cameras produce better end results now because editing software is evolving (much more than cameras I think). If you don't need a lot of pixels or the greatest af, a used D700 or D3s with the latest editing software would give you a tremendous amount of bang for the buck.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

After years of CD's being king (for music), vinyl records are making a comeback (I believe partly because people like the feel of holding something larger and tangible). Maybe after mirrorless has taken over for a while, SLR's will make a comeback for the same reason (and because people will miss hearing the sound of a mechanical click when they take a picture).

I've heard this argument before but I don't buy it. People stopped buying CDs because streaming provides the exact same (to most folks ears) experience at lower cost and less hassle. You could hold something tangible with CD's but folks didn't think it was worth it.

Vinyl is more of a ritual, and the output (the sound) is different. The whole listening experience becomes more of an effort in a good way, in that the listener is more involved than just a couple taps on their phone. In contrast the difference in experience between DSLR and mirrorless is far less, and the output is the same.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    mhedges said:

...Vinyl is more of a ritual, and the output (the sound) is different. The whole listening experience becomes more of an effort in a good way, in that the listener is more involved than just a couple taps on their phone. In contrast the difference in experience between DSLR and mirrorless is far less, and the output is the same.

Fair point. Perhaps the people who still use film cameras are more analogous to vinyl record users. They are niche users now to be sure, but they are out there. The photo lab in my city that I worked at for 20 years (until 2015) is the only one in the region that still develops film and they tell me they do a brisk business with it.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

mhedges said:

...Vinyl is more of a ritual, and the output (the sound) is different. The whole listening experience becomes more of an effort in a good way, in that the listener is more involved than just a couple taps on their phone. In contrast the difference in experience between DSLR and mirrorless is far less, and the output is the same.

Fair point. Perhaps the people who still use film cameras are more analogous to vinyl record users. They are niche users now to be sure, but they are out there. The photo lab in my city that I worked at for 20 years (until 2015) is the only one in the region that still develops film and they tell me they do a brisk business with it.
    Yes agree. Hopefully film use stays somewhat strong because I think the film business needs more volume to survive than the record business.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    A requirement for silent shooting WILL be the end of the DSLR for SOME purposes. Ever notice how distracting all the clicking shutter sounds are whenever the President is talking during a photo op in the oval office? Soon, DSLR's will be banned at those events and in congressional hearing rooms. Many churches will ban DSLRs as soon as the ministers become astute enough to know the difference. Hard rock concerts won't matter but many quieter musical or theatrical performances will be banning the DSLR. Many sports, such as football, won't matter but some, such as Golf coverage is an obvious example of when DSLRs will be banned at sporting events. When will this banning occur? I would say we will start to see it often in about 2022 because by then all major manufacturers will have a mirrorless pro body out equal to the top of the line DSLR's of today. When the people who set the rules for these events become astute enough to realize a requirement for silent shooting will not hamper photo coverage of their event they will start to require it for appropriate events. All pro shooters who sometimes cover events which will require silent shooting will no longer be able to work relying only on DSLRs. They will have to convert to a mirrorless system and the DSLR will become antiquated technology offering no advantage. Maybe I am wrong and a DSLR body will be able to be better than a mirrorless body in some way such that it will remain a niche product which is the best body for a specific purpose. We now have the Sony A9 II. Soon Canon and Nikon will have a mirrorless body equivalent to their current (or last) generation top of the line DSLR and those three will be the nails in the coffin of the DSLR. I expect us to be at that point sometime in 2022.
    Press conferences want the shutter noise and flash usage. Makes it more important looking. It’s expected and without it TV viewers don’t think the presser is important. You could shoot any press conference with an existing EVF camera today as they are all lit or outside in daylight. Other than getting a decent expression out of the talker(s) It’s the least technically challenging shooting you can do.
    And I shot the Symphony for years with my D800E. Concerts and rehearsals both Backstage and in the hall. Never an issue if you were smart about what you were doing (I. E. Wait for the loud parts) and had an agreed to plan with the stagehands, conductors and Symphony Managment. And you needed a dark suit and an understanding of the music. Target rich environment, lots of fun.