Z9 is coming

Comments

• bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 46Member

As others have said, some of the inflated pre-order numbers are people who place multiple orders with different outlets. They will take the one they get first and cancel the rest. I really dislike this and wish all outlets would require pre-payment before they accept an order. I emailed my local Nikon dealer, a very (very) small independent store, and he had no idea when he could get one but he said best guess is 3-4 months. (However he also got me a 500PF in three weeks back when everyone was taking several months to get theirs).

He and his Nikon rep also think they may announce a Z8 (Z equivalent of D850) in January. I am skeptical since I don't think they would want to cut into the Z9 sales and hype that soon, but who knows? Certainly a Z8 would be for me and a lot of other people (just as my two D850's are the perfect DSLR).

Agreed. The local store my wife works at requires money down for pre-orders. They have had a TON of people call to get on the list for a Z9, most of them bow out when they have to put money down.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    bcmmike said:

Agreed. The local store my wife works at requires money down for pre-orders. They have had a TON of people call to get on the list for a Z9, most of them bow out when they have to put money down.

Well I can't blame them for that. Why put money down when there are plenty of places that don't require it? Especially now when it's anyone's guess as to when you will get the product. Someone on the main blog was saying they paid for the 105 MC in full at announcement and still don't have the lens.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    B&H requires that pre-orders be charged putting the amount on hold on a lens or camera. My local dealer doesn't and that is only one reason I'd rather buy from my local dealer.
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    edited December 2021
    Be a while until I can get it - or the Z8 or whatever
    Post edited by trolley on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    DaveyJ said:

B&H requires that pre-orders be charged putting the amount on hold on a lens or camera. My local dealer doesn't and that is only one reason I'd rather buy from my local dealer.

Really. Did not know that. I did a pre-order years ago with B&H and they did not charge until the order was being placed or shipped.

With people putting in multiple orders, this is a good way to stop that by requiring a deposit.

I know people that put in orders ta 3 or 4 dealers to get the D-780 and that was tpical of past launches.

Knowing that dealers make money on selling units before they have to pay for them to help their cash flow. If they order 500 Z9 and only sell 150, they have inventory carrying charges. I don't have an issue with them charging your credit card when you go on the pre-order list.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I *think* he's saying B&H requires a credit card on file to place a pre-order. Agree I don't believe they charge till shipping. I've mostly been ordering from Adorama lately and they don't charge till shipped.
  • dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    I ordered a back order trigger and B&H charged me the full amount.
    D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    NPS will only let you place one order..
    NPS Says they will start filling all NPS Z9 orders starting on Dec 23rd and fulfill all Z9 orders by Mid January if you placed your NPS Z9 order prior to December 19th.

• MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member

You mean they can only order one camera body? Surely there are pros who need two...
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member

You mean they can only order one camera body? Surely there are pros who need two...
    Yes. I am not a pro and have two Z7ii bodies with grips. On Saturday I had the 85 1.8S on one and the 35 1.8S on the other. I never had the need to change to a different lens. I did bring all my 1.8 primes and did not decide which ones to use until I scouted the shoot. Being able to shoot with two bodies really reduces the need to have zooms.

What I am likely to do with the Z9 is just buy one, and then buy the Z9ii when it comes out. I will see how that works.

You can order multiple bodies. You can only place an NPS priority delivery from one dealer.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    The home page of NR has a link to order Z9 from Paul's Photo. Their policy is $500 non-refundable deposit (and balance due when camera comes in). This seems like a reasonable policy to me: not charging full amount for a camera that may not come in for a couple months, but charging a substantail enough deposit to prevent people from clogging up the pre-order list and then cancelling.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    My Z9 should be here tomorrow.
    That’s mine here!
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    edited December 2021

:o :D

Well then. The happiest of holidays to you.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
    edited December 2021
    Some Z9 thoughts after a day:

- The f/1.8 primes feel weird/small on it and they are clearly made for the Z6/Z7 bodies. I intend to keep my Z6 for the f/1.8 primes and use physically bigger lenses on the Z9. Nothing I shoot with the f/1.8 primes needs 20 FPS.
    - The FTZ2 with the 500 PF feels way better than with the original FTZ with no wart in the way.
    - The S-line lenses with displays feel perfect on the body
    - With 3D tracking and a dedicated AF button I haven't yet thought of a use for the fn buttons
    - ISO 25600 images so far have looked no worse than some Z6 ISO 14400 images I have printed to A3.
    - The Zed lenses will try to refocus incases where the Z6 thought that I still wanted to focus on the tree. (Haven't tried F lenses yet.)
    - Compressed RAW on the Prograde 325 GB CF Express card seems to not hit the buffer when tracking animals unless I point it at a teddy and deliberately try to fill the buffer.
    - HE and HE* aren't supported in Capture One yet so I haven't yet tried them other than just shooting to try buffer limits but I can't see myself using them when I aren't outrunning the compressed RAW mode.
    - The EVF has no blackout unless you set it to something like 1s exposure where the screen turns black. So if you are doing a long exposure you will lose the EVF feed.
    Post edited by photobunny on
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 46Member

The home page of NR has a link to order Z9 from Paul's Photo. Their policy is $500 non-refundable deposit (and balance due when camera comes in). This seems like a reasonable policy to me: not charging full amount for a camera that may not come in for a couple months, but charging a substantail enough deposit to prevent people from clogging up the pre-order list and then cancelling.

Yep. Local store is $200 down. Reasonable to me
  • dcisive7dcisive7 Posts: 5Member
    I have a Z9, 100-400S and 24-70 f2.8S on backorder with B&H. I've spoken to them pretty much weekly. Each customer service rep I've spoken to gives me a completely different story. One said before the year end they have enough merchandise from Nikon arriving to satisfy ALL backorders, then another said the delivery of an unknown amount was due on the 30th, then they said the 30th got changed to mid-January and finally there was NO notification of when they will see any other product, maybe end of January at best and there won't be many, plan on seeing yours in the June-August time frame. So you can see why I'm well tired of the misrepresentations and junk being circulated on the web about information that has NO basis in fact. If this goes on after January I'll likely back out. I have a R5 that is keeping things going. I just wanted to see what a Z9 would bring to the table. It may not happen till details of the R1 come out, then who knows. Perhaps I'll just put everything on hold till that occurs.
    dcisive7 said:

I have a Z9, 100-400S and 24-70 f2.8S on backorder with B&H. I've spoken to them pretty much weekly. Each customer service rep I've spoken to gives me a completely different story. One said before the year end they have enough merchandise from Nikon arriving to satisfy ALL backorders, then another said the delivery of an unknown amount was due on the 30th, then they said the 30th got changed to mid-January and finally there was NO notification of when they will see any other product, maybe end of January at best and there won't be many, plan on seeing yours in the June-August time frame. So you can see why I'm well tired of the misrepresentations and junk being circulated on the web about information that has NO basis in fact. If this goes on after January I'll likely back out. I have a R5 that is keeping things going. I just wanted to see what a Z9 would bring to the table. It may not happen till details of the R1 come out, then who knows. Perhaps I'll just put everything on hold till that occurs.

First post. Hmmm.... you will pardon us if we think your credibility is suspect and wonder if you are really a troll.

I find it a little odd that someone would spend $10k on gear from a competitor to their own gear and then just back out because a bunch of retail clerks didn't sing the same tune.
    I'm by NO means a troll. I re-joined up recently as I was a devout Nikonian for nearly 15 years. I'm just very frustrated with the way B&H has handled all of this let alone misinforming so many about the process and what to expect. I would have preferred they simply say "we have no idea at this time" rather than fabricating the BS they have. I happen to have made the purchase based on their in-house card which will evaporate as of April 10th according to the customer service person I spoke to. As long as it ships prior to that I'm good, otherwise have to reapply which is risky at best for the same limits. I'll probably let THAT determine whether or not I get it. I simply wanted to get my hands on this remarkable camera to see if it can bring some things to the table I don't currently have. I do love the S glass so that would be a safe investment. Time will tell.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    dcisive7 said:

I'm by NO means a troll. I re-joined up recently as I was a devout Nikonian for nearly 15 years. I'm just very frustrated with the way B&H has handled all of this let alone misinforming so many about the process and what to expect. I would have preferred they simply say "we have no idea at this time" rather than fabricating the BS they have. I happen to have made the purchase based on their in-house card which will evaporate as of April 10th according to the customer service person I spoke to. As long as it ships prior to that I'm good, otherwise have to reapply which is risky at best for the same limits. I'll probably let THAT determine whether or not I get it. I simply wanted to get my hands on this remarkable camera to see if it can bring some things to the table I don't currently have. I do love the S glass so that would be a safe investment. Time will tell.

I see you are not aware of the post on the main board. B&H is holding all orders in sequence that were playced with the Payboo card where you don't pay state sales tax. Be patient.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Actually I didn't use the "Payboo" card as I am registered with B&H as a company and do not pay taxes. I used the Synchrony Card with B&H and still do not pay taxes. I pre ordered November 4th so NOT the first few days it was offered to pre order. One reason I'm pretty sure I'm thousands behind on the list. They are only going to trickle in so not sure it will be anytime in the near future which is my concern. I'll let it ride till the card purchases made prior to January 17th will be honored until April 20th. After that you have to re-apply for the credit and may not be accepted at the same rate. we'll see.
    dcisive7 said:

OK. Welcome.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    dcisive7 said:

Much of what the body has to offer is known to some extent. As more people get hands on it, we will have an even better idea. I realize that is not a substitute to having it in YOUR hands, but it's something. What you do is entirely up to you, but since you posted here I'll feel free to jump in and counsel patience. If you've been around Nikon as long as you say, you've seen that new releases are often chaotic, even more so for ground breaking products. It appears to me that the response to the Z9 has been unprecedented, at least in the 20 years I've used them. I am not surprised that Nikon is a bit on the back foot and B&H (and other retailers) as well. I don't see how calling B&H weekly helps you or them.

Personally, since I don't plan on departing the planet in the next several months, 3 or 4, or 5 or 6 months will probably not make a dramatic difference in my life. And, if I do, it won't matter much. You have better than decent equipment now, I recommend relaxing and taking a trip to take some photos. When the Z9 gets here, it gets here. Impatience won't make it get here any faster, it'll just make it seem like longer.