Z9 is coming

191011121315»

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,703Member
    It all depends upon what you want a Z9 for and how immediate is your need. What additional features does it have that you would like to have? If you need or want 120 fps buy it now since the new bodies coming out next year are very unlikely to have the feature. If it is better auto focus the bodies coming out next year are expected to have Z9 level AF at a far lower cost. If it is 45mp that should be in the Z7III and more should be in the Z8. If it is the body with a built in vertical grip buy now as none of the new bodies out next year are expected to have such a built in grip. By this time next you you are likely to have four choices: Z9, Z8, Z6III, and Z7III. Maybe even a Z90 baby brother to the Z9 like the D500 was a baby brother to the D5. by the end of next year Nikon should be rich with choices but the Z9 certainly will not be outdated.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Good points @donaldejose but I will say that I am not as optimistic about getting a Z8 next year as a lot of folks are.

I'd like better AF, and higher MP wouldn't hurt. Don't need 120 FPS. As I've said before I don't really want a built in grip, and it would be nice if it would use the EL-15 battery. Z6III should fit those last two requirements at least but I'm not sure when we will get it. I kind of thought we would have it by now but it's nowhere in sight.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    mhedges said:

You can set it to manual with auto ISO and all but forget it at that. Well I only shoot wildlife so I just have it on set and forget mode and adjust things as I need to. I haven't used nor needed to use the memory banks. Out the box it is pretty easy to use, no more difficult than a Z6.

Thanks. On Z6 I do use the three different user modes; configured as follows:

U1: Tripod work (IBIS off, BBF, auto ISO with 30 second maximum shutter speed)
    U2: General handheld (IBIS on, aperture priority, normal auto ISO)
    U3 Sports (Fast auto ISO)

I'm still wavering. Even though the battery life is supposed to be very good I'd still probably want a second, and maybe a tripod bracket too. Additional cost isn't too much but psychologically it's offputting.

I had four batteries for my Z6, I have two for the Z9 and only get about half way down one even with it on 120hz

Since you are using user modes I would have a quick check on YouTube about how to set the banks and configure switching them on a button. But the settings are really fast to change and you can set recall shooting function hold which I have set to 3D tracking, 1/3200, auto ISO. So I can press one button if some action happens regardless of what my current settings are and pressing it again takes me back to whatever was set before.

Do you know anyone close to you that owns one? A rental shop?

Would a Z6iii fit you better if it is released in the next six months?

I’m going to a railroad photo excursion on November 5th and I’m going to try to rent one for it. A Z6III may well be better for me but who knows when it will come out.
    mhedges said:

I’m going to a railroad photo excursion on November 5th and I’m going to try to rent one for it. A Z6III may well be better for me but who knows when it will come out.

With FW 3.0 out today, I very much think we'll see the next Expeed 7 camera(s) in the next month. Regardless, great to get your hands on a rental for that trip. If you need any help with settings feel free to ask.

With FW 3.0 out today, I very much think we'll see the next Expeed 7 camera(s) in the next month. Regardless, great to get your hands on a rental for that trip. If you need any help with settings feel free to ask.

Fingers crossed on the new camera!

Just got my rental order in. The place I usually rent gear from didn't have one so I had to go with someone else.

I'll let you know if I have any questions.
    Rental period doesn't actually start till the first but it looks like I'll get it today. Nice to have 4 free days! I'll be able to have more time to try it out.
    mhedges said:

Rental period doesn't actually start till the first but it looks like I'll get it today. Nice to have 4 free days! I'll be able to have more time to try it out.

A lot of the rental shops are quite generous. I use lensesforhire and their 3 day rental is delivered a day before and collected the day after.
    Yes agree. They usually come one day early in my experience. And guess I spoke too soon on this since it didn’t actually get delivered yesterday - now it’s shifted to Monday.
    Got the Z9 and I’m trying to get it set up. I think I have the shooting banks about how I want them, but I can’t figure out a quick way to swap in between them. What am I missing?
  • IanGIanG Posts: 106Member
    edited November 2022
    Assign banks to Fn3 (for example) then when you want to change banks, simply press Fn3 and turn the rear dial.

Works for me
    Post edited by IanG on
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
    I would suggest a useless button like record. Fn 1-3 are too handy for AF modes and function recall.
    Z9 goes back today. It's a great camera but I think I'm going to wait for the Z6/7III's. Don't like the size and weight or the "Pro" style controls.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 392Member
    Yeah, I'm nowhere near considering the Z 9, but after hefting my paltry kit to the railcar restoration project last Saturday, Z 6, 24-70/4, flash, accessory kit, and computer (doing color matching of paint samples), that would nail the coffin shut on any possible consideration. I'll look forward to the electronic shutter in some Z 6/7 iteration, maybe.... :smile:
    mhedges said:

Z9 goes back today. It's a great camera but I think I'm going to wait for the Z6/7III's. Don't like the size and weight or the "Pro" style controls.

With my 400 or 800 Z lenses it feels fantastic. With my f/1.8 primes I always reach for a smaller camera and wish for a Z6/Z7 with an Expeed 7. Great that you have given it a go though, making your mind up after having it in your hands is always better than reviews and videos.

Great that you have given it a go though, making your mind up after having it in your hands is always better than reviews and videos.

Oh for sure. I'd certainly consider renting it again if the need comes up. And I suppose I'd consider purchasing if the V3 Z6/Z7 underwhelm (hopefully that's not the case since that would put the future of the system in some doubt and none of us here want that).
    mhedges said:

Great that you have given it a go though, making your mind up after having it in your hands is always better than reviews and videos.

Oh for sure. I'd certainly consider renting it again if the need comes up. And I suppose I'd consider purchasing if the V3 Z6/Z7 underwhelm (hopefully that's not the case since that would put the future of the system in some doubt and none of us here want that).
    It'll be underwhelming compared to a Z9 for the same reason the R6 Mk 2 was underwhelming to R3 users on the Canon side; no stacked sensor. Once you get over that stacked sensors and blackout free shooting is for the flagship sports/wildlife bodies only, then you just get on with it and use ether the mechanical shutter or a electronic shutter that'll get you good enough results for most subjects. The AI AF improvements will make up the bulk of the improvements we'll get from the v3 bodies.