New Mini Retro Camera..

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I do like the look of it but wonder if you can put it in aperture mode ,select auto iso/min shutter speed in the menu and then forget the dials. I see they lock which will save on gaffer tape...
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited July 2021

Do avoid the ME-1 like the plague, it's a really terrible mic. The Sennheiser DK200 shown on one of the pictures on the main blog is a way better mic for the same money, and I have read that it is included in some of the kits, although not sure where. Alternatively, you can get a Rode Micro Video, which is even cheaper and still way better than the ME-1.

I have taken your advise. The professional shop that I buy my stuff from said the same thing. I am getting the Sennheiser MKE 400. Might be a little overkill..........

It is confirmed that the grip is Japan only. I will be trolling ebay soon.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    I think some of you thought I was joking when I asked about auto iso ..but I dont want to mess about with dials ..I want to take pictures.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited July 2021
    If it's like the Df it still has all the auto modes. The settings on the dials are there on the ZFc, so no reason why they wouldn't be.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Thanks for that PB .I looked for a manual but its not out yet. Now the weddings have stopped I dont think I will be buying more cameras I have bought a classic Jaguar and preserving that is keeping my brain going and consuming my "camera money"
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    Looks like my 28mm kit is delayed. I would be keen to see the number of orders as a lot of people are excited for this. Maybe it is Nikon's iMac moment.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

Thanks for that PB .I looked for a manual but its not out yet. Now the weddings have stopped I dont think I will be buying more cameras I have bought a classic Jaguar and preserving that is keeping my brain going and consuming my "camera money"

OMG you will be broke soon.
    Always learning.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited August 2021
    I own both the Z50 and the two kit lens. I now shoot them a LOT. I also own the Z fc and as I bought it with the 16-50 Silver of the version kit lens, that is what I use on that camera. I got it because I thought it was quite beautiful, mine is black and I looked at the colored versions and thought the black was a better deal, and as the flippy screen is black on all models the black was the better choice. It is a very good camera. I was using the Z50 a LOT with the 50-250 and dust on sensors changing lens in the field decided me to use the Z50 with the 50-250, and the 16-50 on the Z fc.

I also own the Z 6 II with the 24-70 F4. If you think Nikon made a bad move with this DX camera move, you don't use cameras the way I do. The Z fc will sell, and to people with sense. The Z50 is FASTER to use than the Z fc. But they are both EXCELLENT cameras. I still use my D7500 with the 200-500 which is frankly amazing!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    The Z50 and Z fc comes along on every trip with me. I would note however the Z 6 II with the 24-70 F4 and I can only assume any Z zoom telephoto will take photos when the Z 50 with the 50-250 will NOT even shoot in low light scenes! To be able to shoot in low light is a definite advantage at times.

And I am certain Nikon could make a Z 70 or Z90 APS-C camera that could handle low light better. Also The more I use the Z fc the greater respect I have for that camera. Smaller. lighter, and packed with power describes what I need in a field camera. Nikon does far better with sales with lenses like the F 200-500 F5.6 and Z system need for good MODEST cost zoom telephoto cannot be overstated!
    so stick the 24-70 on the Zfc...how does that work out?
    I am a field photographer. I cannot afford dust ,etc., on a sensor. I have used the Z 6 II enough to know that it is a very good low light rig. But the two DX mirrorless do MOST of my field work. Since I got my Z 6 II I have NEVER taken that lens off. Until I get a Z telephoto (the 200-600) or finally give up and get a Nikon 500 5.6PF , which is VERY unlikely, Canadian Nikon Ambassador Michele Valburg has a VERY compelling documentary on the Z 6 II and the 500 5.6PF.

I will leave the 24-70 F4 on the Z 6 II. I would check the You Tube for those who have tried the Z fc with the 24-70 F4. Matt Irwin and Matt Granger used that exact combination Z fc ( Z S 24-70 F) and report good results with it.
    I note for the first time E infinity has the body for seven ninty nine pounds and add another one hundred for the lens delivered to your door and in stock. Cat tipped coffee in the keyboard so the numbers not working ..ha ha
    edited September 2021
    Apparently this little camera is now listed as one of the best selling cameras in August. Turns out Nikon does know what they are doing after all. I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong on this.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    I still find the popularity a bit surprising. Very pleasantly surprising, but surprising nonetheless.
    PB_PM said:

Apparently this little camera is now listed as one of the best selling cameras in August. Turns out Nikon does know what they are doing after all. I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong on this.

While I did figure it would do well, I was skeptical that it is more than a one shot wonder. It is doing better than expected, but I am still skeptical - though less skeptical.
    edited September 2021
    It may very well be a one shot wonder, but I don't think the Z50 ever made the top 10 list, so it's already doing better. I have to wonder if some people bought it just to get the 28m kit lens before it was available separately? Haven't seen a flush of ZFc cameras on resellers so that seems unlikely.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited September 2021

PB_PM said:

While I did figure it would do well, I was skeptical that it is more than a one shot wonder. It is doing better than expected, but I am still skeptical - though less skeptical.
    There is a big buzz in the under 30s that have been buying this. First time photographers. I am on the march to 40 myself and the Z fc is one of the most exciting little cameras I have used and it is going to be great for going to cosplay events.

It'll be even better with the expected round FTZ adaptor and my 500 PF for some overly complex wildlife shooting.
    Post edited by photobunny on
    edited September 2021
    Can we have an FX version please for the over 70s.....45MP OK
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    The last full frame version didn’t sell very well if I recall correctly. The fc has the right price point to sell like hotcakes and if there was a full frame option would it be a Z9 or a Z5 sensor?

The last full frame version didn’t sell very well if I recall correctly. The fc has the right price point to sell like hotcakes and if there was a full frame option would it be a Z9 or a Z5 sensor?

Nikon has stated that you won't see the 24mp Z5 sensor again. However, I think it would be whatever sensor a Z5ii would be using.
    @WestEndFoto i wasn’t intending to specify a specific sensor. Nikon could make a £2000 Z5 retro body or a £6000 stacked sensor best of the best retro body like the old Df.
    Having used the Z50 and Z fc with the kit lens and the Z 6 II, I personally Have ZERO interest in Full frame version of the Nikon Z fc. First, the Z fc is THAT good. Second I use my Z 6 II almost never compared to the smaller, frankly absolutely amazing DX Z cameras. As to age of users, at 76 I am FAR LESS attracted to the big cameras given the photo (and video) ability of the Z DX cameras and lens. The under 30 crowd has been very attracted to this camera. BUT the older shooters should be equally as drawn to small. light, and packed with power!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    PB_PM said:

I'm glad that it's doing well, but what does the ZFc do better than the Z50? I mean it is a cute looking camera, but I don't see any real features that the Z50 doesn't really have, maybe other than the USB-C charging. It also loses the flash.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    NSXTypeR said:

PB_PM said:

I'm glad that it's doing well, but what does the ZFc do better than the Z50? I mean it is a cute looking camera, but I don't see any real features that the Z50 doesn't really have, maybe other than the USB-C charging. It also loses the flash.
    You're not wrong, it's just a refreshed Z50 with a slightly higher price and retro look. Apparently that's what people want?