Nikon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6

pcassitypcassity Posts: 12Member
I should know this since I was once owned the 80-400 but, does anyone know at what focal length does the 100-400 change from 4.5 to 5.6.?

Comments

• photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    It hasn’t been discovered/disclosed yet. It won’t be the same as the 80-400 or any of the other 100-400 lenses because it is a different design, non have had the same curve to 4.5->5.0->5.6
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I have no idea but it appears to be a stellar lens either way. I am considering moving to Z mount and getting this lens as a single telephoto solution, instead of my current F mount 70-200 2.8 and 300 4PF and 500 5.6PF .

I have no idea but it appears to be a stellar lens either way. I am considering moving to Z mount and getting this lens as a single telephoto solution, instead of my current F mount 70-200 2.8 and 300 4PF and 500 5.6PF .

A lot of folks are considering replacing the 500 PF with this (including myself), but there is a niggle in my head that says both still have their place. I'll be renting one first. And we can see a 400 PF and 800 PF on the roadmap that may be better suited for some.
  • pcassitypcassity Posts: 12Member
    edited October 2021
    I believe this is going to be a phenomenal lens. However, as a very happy 500 PF owner I can’t see giving up 100mm and not gaining an extra stop to f4. A 400 f4 PF would be wonderful! Thus, my question regarding at what point does this lens switch to 5.6.
    Post edited by pcassity on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    There is a second 400mm prime on the roadmap now. Judging by the size of the silhouette it seems likely to be a f4 PF lens.
    mhedges said:

There is a second 400mm prime on the roadmap now. Judging by the size of the silhouette it seems likely to be a f4 PF lens.

By second 400 you mean besides the 400 2.8 that recently got a development announcement? Hmmm... a 400 f4PF would indeed be intriguing.
    @MrFotoFool the new 400 prime on the roadmap is the same height as the 70-200 and 100-400. It was added with a 800 that is as short as the 400 f/2.8 TC.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I ordered one with the Z9. To me wherever it switches to a narrower aperture is of no concern as I shoot mostly 5.6 and narrower. It is already rated stellar! It will take awhile for me to order the 1.4 TC to also use.
    If I get the 100-400 Z lens first I will use it on my Z6 II
    My Dealer, Green Mountain Camera has me first on their list to get this lens. I will use it first on the Z6 II. Does anybody out there know when the firmware updates are coming for the Z6 II and Z7 II ?
    There are no ‘due’ firmware updates, Just rumours. However, the Z6 hasn’t stopped me getting wildlife shots with the 500PF so the 100-400 will be even better on the Z6ii and Z7ii.

@MrFotoFool the new 400 prime on the roadmap is the same height as the 70-200 and 100-400. It was added with a 800 that is as short as the 400 f/2.8 TC.

A lightweight 800 f5.6 PF would be a dream come true!
    Here is a nice short video on the internal adjustment of the lens (which keeps the center of gravity from changing as you zoom out).
    I saw this video when I was informed I was the FIRST order for my "local" dealer. One comment though.....I do NOT want a fixed focal length. And for SURE not a long prime like a 800! Zooms allow a photographer to frame the shot. And I like myself some environment around my subject. I have been in places with wildlife that could really hurt you if they attacked, and I found the lens I had did not have enough wide on the lens. If I constantly found myself shooting at the longest range, then I would buy a long prime. Part of this is where you are shooting. Morten Hilmer's excellent photos and video in the Far North illustrates this situation. If I was in Svalbard sp? where he does a lot of shooting a LONG prime would be very desirable.
    100-400 is supposed to be released Friday. To be honest I wish it was a little later - not the best timing for a very big expense right by the holidays. But if I cancel my order then who knows when I would get it.
    I will soon find out where my "local" dealer rides in this first shipment, late is my guess.
    edited December 2021
    Looks like mine (from Adorama) is shipping today. I'll post the aperture change thresholds when I get it.

Time to put my 70-300 AF-P on the block, methinks.
    Post edited by mhedges on
    My 100-400 arrives here Tuesday.
    Mines coming tomorrow too. Can't wait to take it out on Wednesday!
    Lens is in hand. Here’s the aperture breakdown:

100mm 4.5
    135 4.8
    200 5
    300 5.3
    400 5.6
    Here are a few test pics if anyone is interested

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzwiR5
    mhedges said:

Here are a few test pics if anyone is interested

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzwiR5

Thanks. It looks like a great lens which of course we knew it would be. The photos of the cat (with pupils dilated from the dark) proves it works well in low light too - in spite of not having a large maximum aperture.
    Thanks! Although I’d say some of the credit for the cat pics should go to the outstanding high iso capabilities of the z6. Those were at 20000 ISO - my living room light had burnt out right before I took them.
    edited December 2021
    I have my Z S 100-400. It is an amazing lens, FAST focus. Using it on my Z 6 II until the Z 9 can even be ordered. My local dealer can't do pre-orders on the Z 9. The Z 6 II struggles with start up to a degree that it is a miracle that Nikon shooters didn't evaporate. The Z 9 just might save Nikon. BUT the Z 6 II needs an upgrade at least as much as the Z 6 did!!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    edited December 2021
    The Z 6 II with the 100-400 Z lens struggles with shots at even 30 deg. F. and that fails to impress me one iota. I had OK results a half hour earlier. It is NOT a fast start up mirrorless camera. Not the lens fault. I have used enough Sony A 1 with the 200-600 lens to know that the Z 6 II needs a swift upgrade! The Z 9 is a FAR superior camera and I now have NO DOUBT about that.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on