Nikon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6

2»

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    You think it is slower in the cold? Interesting. I don't have a way to test that - we have been in the 70's here in NC. I don't really care for it, to be honest.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The start up on the Z 6 II is quite a bit slower than the Z 9. That is from Matt Irwin Australia, and since I have not even tried the Z 9 I just assume that is true. The 100-400 Z S lens itself is maybe the best designed Nikon lens FOR ME I have seen. I have used some huge Nikon wide aperture lens briefly and know people that sold them to buy the less expensive 200-500 F Mount F5.6, which I use a LOT.

BUT I have never used the 200-500 F5.6 on one of my three Z cameras despite owning the FTZ. I do hope I can get an firmware update for this Z 6 II, but as I bought it much later than the introduction I assume I have one that was a little more updated than those who purchased one at introduction. The Z 6 II can handle 30 deg. F just fine but NOT as soon as you switch on the camera. The Z 9 is INSTANT START according to those who have shot it.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    @DaveyJ there are some ‘tricks’ for the Z6 that work on then Z6II to make it ready to shoot. I was shooting the Z6 and Z9 in -15C this morning with no fuss from the Z6. You just need to know how to work it.
  • gene_mcgillgene_mcgill Posts: 396Member
    DaveyJ said:

The Z 6 II with the 100-400 Z lens struggles with shots at even 30 deg. F. and that fails to impress me one iota. I had OK results a half hour earlier. It is NOT a fast start up mirrorless camera. Not the lens fault. I have used enough Sony A 1 with the 200-600 lens to know that the Z 6 II needs a swift upgrade! The Z 9 is a FAR superior camera and I now have NO DOUBT about that.

Is it just the startup of the Z 6 II that struggles at or below 30F? Or are there other ways the Z 6 II underperforms in the cold?

I have not noticed that on my Z 7 while using it well below 30F but I may not be using it like you use your Z 6 II. What I have consistently noticed is that the eye sensor that detects my eye at the viewfinder does not work at cold temps, roughly 20F and below. My Z 7 becomes a viewfinder only machine, sort of like a DSLR, in those cold temps. It does not auto switch to the monitor and live view. Warm the camera up and all is fine again.

• pcassitypcassity Posts: 12Member
    mhedges said:

Lens is in hand. Here’s the aperture breakdown:

100mm 4.5

135 4.8

200 5

300 5.3

400 5.6

• pcassitypcassity Posts: 12Member
    Thanks for the info! And the images!
    edited January 2022
    The 100-400 Z lens does very well with the Z 6 II. I set the focus speed from medium to fast. That made a big difference.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Here is an album of soccer pics from my 100-400 if anyone is interested:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzF4rs

Now that I have had it for a little bit I can say it's super sharp with great color and overall "pop". I will say the bokeh can get a little nervous/busy in certain circumstances. Here is an example (will probably need to click through to really see it). My understanding is that this is an issue that is somewhat common in modern highly corrected lenses.

Z6C_2424
    I am now using the 100-400 Z S lens on the Z9, and use the Z 6 II for the 24-70 Z S lens and the 14-30 Z S f /4 lens. The 24-70 F 4 lens is a LOT easier to use. I will get a Z S f6.3 Nikon 800 lens as soon as I can get it for the Z 9. I use the 100-400 a LOT on the Z 9. The Z 9 is the best camera I have ever used, the Z 6 II is frankly a tough camera to use as getting it to focus where I want it to is FAR slower than the D7500 I still use a fair amount. The Z fc that I use with the 16-50 kit lens is very good! And it gets a LOT of comments
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    Though I still use Nikon F (no interest in Z), I see they have a new 400 4.5 . I am scratching my head trying to figure out why anyone would buy that instead of the 100-400. I mean half a stop brighter seems like not enough to give up the versatility of a zoom. Plus isn't it the fixed lens more expensive? I don't get it.
    edited July 2022

Though I still use Nikon F (no interest in Z), I see they have a new 400 4.5 . I am scratching my head trying to figure out why anyone would buy that instead of the 100-400. I mean half a stop brighter seems like not enough to give up the versatility of a zoom. Plus isn't it the fixed lens more expensive? I don't get it.

It's 2/3rds of a stop brighter. I have the 400 f/4.5 and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 on order and intend to use the prime for earlier morning light where the 100-400 gives me rather high ISO's past my desired range and the prime will give me the much needed extra light. I also have the 400 f/2.8 TC on order, however that is a bit heavy for many situations.

Basically:

400 f/2.8 TC - Tripod in a hide with lower distances
    400 f/4.5 - Go to lens for early morning hikes and walking about the local woods in the winter.
    100-400 f/4.5-5.6 - Good light walkabout lens that does everything from foxes to birds and insets. My go to bug lens but never my goto bird or animal lens.

Post edited by photobunny on
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    edited July 2022
    @photobunny Yes, 2/3 stop brighter, thanks for correction. It wouldn't be enough FOR ME to justify owning over the 100-400 zoom, and I definitely would not own both like you. But clearly there is a market for it (you being part of that market) or Nikon would not make it. I just find it surprising they did not go a full stop to f4 to differentaite it further, but I guess that would have made it too heavy.
    Post edited by MrFotoFool on

@photobunny Yes, 2/3 stop brighter, thanks for correction. It wouldn't be enough FOR ME to justify owning over the 100-400 zoom, and I definitely would not own both like you. But clearly there is a market for it (you being part of that market) or Nikon would not make it. I just find it surprising they did not go a full stop to f4 to differentaite it further, but I guess that would have made it too heavy.

The subject isolation and bokeh are vastly different between the lenses. And a subject that needed ISO 16000 on the 100-400@400 f/5.6 only required ISO 8000 on the 400 f/4.5. It is a much better low light lens and really quite ideal for walking about a dark forest, photographing wee mice and other animals.

The 100-400 wins on versatility and its macro like capabilities, but it isn't a lens I am going to use all that often.