z6/7iii - 2022? 2023?

2»

Comments

• bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 46Member

My thought is that the Z7 and Z6 are identical except for the grip. You would have a choice. I think the Z8 and Z9 should be that way to.

The grips never comes off my D850 and the two Z7ii bodies. Originally I thought that the grip for my Z7ii that I use for my AIS/D lenses would get no use, but it is permanently attached to. Better ergonomics.

My grip never comes off my D850. It's much more comfortable ( but I do have larger hands ) and makes me want to get a grip for the D500
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Agree on no grip on Z7III. How much different would it be from the Z9 if it had one? And where would a Z8 be positioned then?
  • kevgaleukkevgaleuk Posts: 8Member

The grip is not a huge selling point for me. The last two FX DSLRs I bought each came with a grip as part of the package. I installed the one that came with my D610, tried it out a bit, removed it, put it up and never opened the box afterward. For my needs it just makes the camera bulkier, and not in a good way. I'll probably never switch to mirrorless, but if I did, the Z7 is where I'd start looking. An integrated grip would be a negative for me. Just keep it as an optional accessory. Win - Win.

I totally get why the z9 had an integrated grip (pro demand, weight/stability with lenses, weather sealing etc) but totally agree that the 6/7 series should remain optional.

Ergonomically the z9 bits I would want on the 6/7iii would be the new screen hinge to allow for better low angle shots in portrait orientation
  • kevgaleukkevgaleuk Posts: 8Member
    DaveyJ said:

One thing required for a Z 6 III and Z 7 III is a sensor shield like the Z 9 has. And an increase in mp as that still sells cameras to some, especially new entrants. Somewhere around 33 mp for the Z 6 III? Although mhedges is undoubtedly right on the 8K 40-45 mp required for 8k.

If the z6 got a bump to 30-36mp, got some of the speed (and AF system obviously) from the z9 that would be a stellar camera. You'd imagine it would be able to do top end 4k (perhaps 6k?) even if it can't do 8k and you'd imagine that if they have a similar 2-2.5k price that would be very compelling to buyers

Interesting times ahead...
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    My Z 6 II is a very good camera, but a Z 6 III with a sensor shield would give me far more inclination to switch lens. And It SHOULD use a higher mp sensor as an upgrade. Right now I leave the new 100-400 Z S lens on that camera, and therefore almost always use the Z 50 or Z fc. I would prefer my Z 6 III to have no big grip.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 736Member
    kevgaleuk said:

DaveyJ said:

One thing required for a Z 6 III and Z 7 III is a sensor shield like the Z 9 has. And an increase in mp as that still sells cameras to some, especially new entrants. Somewhere around 33 mp for the Z 6 III? Although mhedges is undoubtedly right on the 8K 40-45 mp required for 8k.

If the z6 got a bump to 30-36mp, got some of the speed (and AF system obviously) from the z9 that would be a stellar camera. You'd imagine it would be able to do top end 4k (perhaps 6k?) even if it can't do 8k and you'd imagine that if they have a similar 2-2.5k price that would be very compelling to buyers

Interesting times ahead...
    Something like this at that price might very well lure me over.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    mhedges said:

Agree on no grip on Z7III. How much different would it be from the Z9 if it had one? And where would a Z8 be positioned then?

More buttons - all of my F buttons on my Z7ii bodies are allocated to focus with none left over. Slightly bigger. GPS. More connectors. Solid build. Bigger and better battery. If I was Nikon, I would add three buttons in the portrait position like Canon has done. The Z7ii can stay the same as the Z7ii with grip.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Do you think software like Gigapixel make sensors with more pixels meaningless?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    No. It slightly improves results in some situations for all sensors regardless of resolution.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    @rmp For me it is the other way around, today's sensors make software like Gigapixel meaningless, furthermore the sharpening in today's editing software is enough, often you see photos, which are over-sharpened.

In Capture One, for example, I can enlarge an edited photo up to 200% (sometimes more) without loss of quality, it's easy. In my opinion, Gigapixel is for special cases.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yes, I feel the same. If todays gear isn't enough then a simple pano will get you the resolution with less effort.
    Always learning.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Thanks. (Yes, todays cameras are far beyond "good enough" without special software.)
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.