ZF your thoughts.

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,445Member
24 MP .....No No No....Super mode by pixel shift . Can you do it hand held? Moving subjects? If not its not for me.
SD and Micro SD thats ok as I only take one card out to transfer on my two slot cameras.
EN EL 15 thats good.

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,907Member
    I’m surprised it’s only 24 mp. But it’s also cheaper than I expected assuming the rumors are correct
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 697Member
    Today I saw the magic word: IBIS !!!

Further

- Pixel shift
    - USB C PD, I have a 65W PD battery.
    - Improved autofocus compared to the Z5/Z6II, always handy.
    - Price body only $1,999
    - Simular (but improved) design/layout from the Nikon Zfc, wait and see.
    - B&W mode (is handy, I use it a lot)

24mp is fine for me, more mp was only useful for me in crop, if I very occasionally need a larger size I use Upscale from Luminar, or enlarge in Capture One when export after editing, works fine.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,749Member
    edited August 2023
    Leaked images look nice and retro and it seems the tilt out LCD tilts to the side as many people claim they all should do. However, as I look at all those sharp angles and the small side grip (really just a retro bump) I worry that it just would not feel as good in my hands as current Nikon ergonomics feel. I love a deep hand grip with plenty of space for my fingers. The very shallow hand "bump" (not deep enough to be a grip to me) would make me feel insecure. "Back in the day" most of us used neck straps. I don't anymore because the deep hand grip gives me enough security. I think the Z6III expected out next year will be a better fit for me with something like a new 33 mega pixel sensor. Or the Z7III with a new 60+ mega pixel sensor. But more power to Nikon if they can produce variations which sell well. I don't know about the speed of micro SD cards. Are they fast enough? I think they are cheap because of cell phones. If they are fast enough and cheap and can be obtained in terabyte sizes then one can be inserted and used as an internal memory. I see Matt Granger says they are not fast enough and will slow you down. My guess is that will only happen if you are shooing video or long bursts of stills. It should be set up that the camera can be set to back up to the micro SD card when the processor is not busy. There should be plenty of "down" time to copy from the main card to the micro SD card when not actually shooting.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,291Member
    So any idea when this is coming out? Seems like there's no official announcement yet.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,445Member
    Whatever it will be too expensive for me
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,291Member
    I'm crazy for saying this, but I kind of like it! I might get one if they come out with a silver body one.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,907Member
    Looks good and price isn't bad. I'm very curious how the AF is.
    No spending money on the ZF. It will be a Z6iii for me.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,445Member
    Unless you can set it in auto ISO F8 its no good to me .. Too many dials to tape up ..what a mess . Then I got lenses to buy...NO NO NO
    Anyway if I buy one the wife will want one
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    This camera looks like it could be fun. Is it going to be efficient to shoot like my Z8 and Z9? No. But it would encourage a different kind of photography. Might be a good choice for my AIS and D lenses.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    On order. Love it.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    Even though I will stick with the "normal" Nikon ergonomics I do hope Nikon sells a ton of these. The more Nikon sells of whatever it produces, the more money Nikon has for R&D. The more money Nikon has for R&D, the more products of all kinds Nikon can offer to the public.
    Agreed. I have one on order now too. I have a Zfc. My biggest complaint is that it was not full frame - the ZF fixed that.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 697Member
    My biggest complaint for the ZFc was "no IBIS"!!!
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore

Agreed. I have one on order now too. I have a Zfc. My biggest complaint is that it was not full frame - the ZF fixed that.

Did you order it with a lens? I went ahead and got the 40 mm. My first 35 mm camera (that was my own, and not my father's) was a Minolta CLE with a 40 mm f/2.

I'll probably start to phase out my D systems. I only use them in the lab now, and I have a lot of lenses I just don't use any more.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    Symphotic said:

Did you order it with a lens? I went ahead and got the 40 mm. My first 35 mm camera (that was my own, and not my father's) was a Minolta CLE with a 40 mm f/2.

I'll probably start to phase out my D systems. I only use them in the lab now, and I have a lot of lenses I just don't use any more.
    I already have the 28mm SE, the 26mm pancake and two 40 2.0. I originally ordered the regular 40 but when the SE came out, I ordered that too. I think that Nikon goofed with the compact primes. The SE should have been the base design.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Do any of you know if it is possible to set viewfinder display size to small - like on Z9, Z8, Z7ii and Z6ii?

I am happy with image quality on my Z6 (version 1) AF is weak, but workable but I would really like to be able to do what my good old F3 could - add hi eye point viewfinder.

Z6II would solve that but leave me with weak AF.

I already have the 28mm SE, the 26mm pancake and two 40 2.0....

What do you think of the 26 mm pancake. I was looking at it but didn't feel the urge to click the "buy now" button...
    Jack Roberts
    Symphotic said:

I already have the 28mm SE, the 26mm pancake and two 40 2.0....

What do you think of the 26 mm pancake. I was looking at it but didn't feel the urge to click the "buy now" button...
    It is the same as the 28 2.8, but smaller - so I like it.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Shop called.. Picking up mine after work at around 4pm !! "sepia"
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Hartyfisher - can you set viewfinder display size to small? I really want to know - please - suger on top :-)
    Manual is now out - and yes, you can change finder display size to small - nice feature if you want to see entire frame when shooting moving subjects and you use glasses.
    Nice to see the ZFs in stock. I am waiting for mine but I ordered a "fashion colour", so I may have to wait a bit.
    Went all in with an orange ZF. It sure stands out. But I like it. AF is very fast. Set mine up with 3D tracking and turn on face detect when needed. Works. Got a Small Rig Grip. Makes handling the camera so much better. And VF display size can be set to small - Great action VF - just as a Nikon F3 HP. With the 40mm kit lens it is a joy to use as a walk around camera.
    I received a Zf today. I went with plain black because I like that color. It matches my F2 Titan and my other old boys.
    I was a little surprised that there aren't banks for settings, but I realized I could store my settings on the memory card and just change cards if I am doing a different kind of shooting.
    Then I thought. "What a pain to swap cards!"
    Then I I thought "With my F2 I had to change film every 24 exposures, and it wasn't so easy, so when did I get so spoiled! It takes only a couple of seconds to change a card, (I loved my F2)."
    I bought the grip from Small Rig, not that I needed a grip, but I wanted the Arca-Swiss style mounting plate.
    "Zf is F2 spelled backwards"
    Jack Roberts