ZF your thoughts.

2»

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Symphotic said:

I received a Zf today. I went with plain black because I like that color. It matches my F2 Titan and my other old boys.
    I was a little surprised that there aren't banks for settings, but I realized I could store my settings on the memory card and just change cards if I am doing a different kind of shooting.
    Then I thought. "What a pain to swap cards!"
    Then I I thought "With my F2 I had to change film every 24 exposures, and it wasn't so easy, so when did I get so spoiled! It takes only a couple of seconds to change a card, (I loved my F2)."
    I bought the grip from Small Rig, not that I needed a grip, but I wanted the Arca-Swiss style mounting plate.
    "Zf is F2 spelled backwards"

I have mine to. I put an FTZii on it and have not taken it off. Don't intend to. I have mostly been shooting it with a 28 1.4D and 85 1.4Ais. I am setting up the camera to work as well as possible with my mf lenses. I don't intend on using the AF.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,292Member
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    NSXTypeR said:
    I think that this could be a really good camera for many, especially a Fuji shooter that wants to return to the fold. My use case is pretty niche.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,292Member
    I think ergonomically the modern style Z cameras would be most ideal. I can imagine for most users now there might be some cognitive dissonance with the layout. Not that you couldn't use it, it'll just take some time. It's definitely gorgeous looking though.

I'm just annoyed how slow Nikon is in updating their cameras. I guess quality over quantity, but Nikon's been so slow with updating their DX mirrorless lineup that I skipped over it and got a D7500.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,832Member
    I hope 2024 will bring us a 33mp DX Z90, a 33 mp Z6III, a 60+ mp Z7III (with sensor shift technology to produce a 200mp plus image) and either a Z9h (20, 24 or 33 mp high speed sensor) or a Z9x (with the Z&III high megapixel sensor and pixel shift). Technically, all are doable if Nikon has the time and budget.

I hope 2024 will bring us a 33mp DX Z90, a 33 mp Z6III, a 60+ mp Z7III (with sensor shift technology to produce a 200mp plus image) and either a Z9h (20, 24 or 33 mp high speed sensor) or a Z9x (with the Z&III high megapixel sensor and pixel shift). Technically, all are doable if Nikon has the time and budget.

I would think a Z6iii that can do 6k (27mp) perhaps in a fast sensor combined with Expeed 7 would be very compelling. The Z7iii can be released in a year with the Z8/Z9 sensor. A Z4 could have the current Z7ii BSI sensor combined with Expeed 7. I think that in DX mode that would outperform a D500 in every way if the ergonomics are correct. And it would come with "bonus FX".
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,832Member
    "A Z4 could have the current Z7ii BSI sensor combined with Expeed 7. I think that in DX mode that would outperform a D500 in every way if the ergonomics are correct. And it would come with "bonus FX"." Good point WEF. With the smaller Z6, Z7 and Z5 body size and higher megapixel FF sensors, the "need" for a D500 replacement is perhaps obviated. No Z90. Just no more D500 advantage of a smaller and lighter "pro body and feature" camera except a Z4 would still not have the "pro body format." I would like to see a scaled down Z9 body with a high megapixel crop sensor for birders. I liked taking my D500 and scaled down DX lenses on travel. Probably just not enough market for it to justify the development and production costs.

"A Z4 could have the current Z7ii BSI sensor combined with Expeed 7. I think that in DX mode that would outperform a D500 in every way if the ergonomics are correct. And it would come with "bonus FX"." Good point WEF. With the smaller Z6, Z7 and Z5 body size and higher megapixel FF sensors, the "need" for a D500 replacement is perhaps obviated. No Z90. Just no more D500 advantage of a smaller and lighter "pro body and feature" camera except a Z4 would still not have the "pro body format." I would like to see a scaled down Z9 body with a high megapixel crop sensor for birders. I liked taking my D500 and scaled down DX lenses on travel. Probably just not enough market for it to justify the development and production costs.

Well, it could be really simple for Nikon. A Z3 and Z4 could take the same grip as the Z6ii and Z7ii. They would probably sell for $1,800 and $2,200 respectively. The new Z6iii being touted on the main blog could go for $2,500.00
  • axlroseaxlrose Posts: 40Member
    edited March 17
    Is there any chance that we will get Zf banks in future FW updates?
    Post edited by axlrose on
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    Banks are likely reserved for the pro bodies. I don’t even know if we’ll get bird and plane AF as it isn’t targeted at that type of shooting.
    I guess I'll have to wait for Z6III then. Too bad... it could have (Zf) at least some option to have custom settings
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    The Z6iii likely won't have banks ether. It'll have custom mode on the dial though, and personally I prefer these to banks.
    How quickly can you switch on ZF, from auto ISO mode to fully manual mode? I assume that it goes with dialing buttons on top?