d7000 and D7100 buying advice

2»

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Last week some one mentioned that in the UK the price of the D7100 dropped $100 EU. Anyone heard any more if the price is coming down in the US market. The conversion for 100 EU is ~$130 USD. That would certainly move more D7100's.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    WTF - what planet are you from Photobug? The currency of the UK is the Pound Stirling (£), the currency for the European Union is the Euro (€) and the currency for the U.S.A is the U.S. Dollar ($). There is no such thing as the 'UK price of $100 EU'. These are not interchangeable symbols at will.

The current exchange rates are 1.31 $/€ and 1.51 $/£. 8-|
    Always learning.
    Get a life spraynpary. I mean pound not the Euro. And where I work, the US currency is called USD.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Sorry if that came off wrong, you raised by BP. I work in the US for a German owned company and all the financials are EU and USD. Of course I know what the US Dollar is. And yes I mixed the Pound Stirling with the EU but I believe the other individual did as well. I tried to find that message string but could not so I dropped my message into this forum.

If I offend you, sorry about that. My question still stands, if they dropped the price 100 pounds in the UK any news when that is coming to the US market.
    No offence taken Photobug - I guess I was antagonistic, thinking you were one of those people who hardly know or care there are other places in the world other than the USA.

I am amazed that we have an offer here that you haven't had before us or better than us - I am always drooling at the American offers and we never seem to get them here. Maybe our market is in even worse shape than yours?
    Always learning.
    Spraynpray...I know what you are saying, far too many people, not just Americans, only think it terms of the USA and not see the bigger picture.

I have sold lots of used Nikon equipment on eBay and lots of my buyers are from Canada. When I see the used and new prices in Canada it's no wonder they like buying in the US market.

Not sure why Nikon has a special offer in the UK and not in their other markets. When you talk about seeing specials in the USA market and not in the UK, I was surprised. My assumption was that all Nikon promotions were offered in all markets. Learned something tonight. As you said, maybe your market is worse than ours for sale of the D7100 and that is why they have the promotion in the UK. I know the local camera dealer here is selling lots of D7100.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I own the D7000 and the D7100. For what it is worth I leave the 70-300VR on the D7100 almost all the time. These portraits shown here would in my pro opinion (I have shot glamour for years and then completely got out of that) but I do know that a longer lens will make an object or a living thing look more the way you see it. I have used huge format cameras and a lot of different lens but even a Giant Sequoia will look more normal with a lens that is not wide angle. There are some BEAUTIFUL things in this world that never get as good a picture as any of the ones of the model presented. Here I refer to people and animals and trees, etc. Since all of these pictures are lovely, then you can start offering which makes her look even better? I know women my age (almost 70) who show me snapshots of them as attractive teenagers with great regret that no one could make them look as beautiful as they were then since there just weren't those kind of cameras or photographers around. So in this sense all those on our wonderful NR site sure can make a photo sing! And yes we are hear looking for that last bounce to make our lives and those around us just a little better. All of the cameras suggested by all of you are "good enough". But when you are counting your pennies and probably going in debt some, best get the best deal you can. This website does offer MUCH to trouble shoot your impending purchase before you buy! Biggest problem is none of us really knows what the future will bring for us. Right now I FEEL the D7100 I have with the right lens could do EVERYTHING OK that I may photograph for the rest of my life. One more technology leap at my age is about all this budget and life span has left in it.

The 18-200VRII is a pretty good compromise lens. Our D7000 has this lens on it almost all the time. I own most DX cameras since the D100 and DO NOT BUY a D90. Strange I would say that sitting on a bench beside my trusty D90 with a 60 Micro Nikkor on it. But Assuming you are going to use this camera for years (I don't see much point in selling Nikon bodies as the price drops pretty quick. OK maybe YOU can sell a outdated camera but I FEEL obliged to tell my prospective buyers WHY I upgraded. The D7100 has some massive advantages over the D7000 which you would be very attuned to if you ever get into video. And yes there is such a pent up demand for a D400 which will probably far outshine the D7100 Nikon out to get this out NOW! heartyfisher's comments on the 16-85VR lens are really on target too! But primes??? Unless it is a Micro Nikkor (macro) I just do not see the point. I'll leave with the comment also that I just read the quote heartyfisher placed on his last comment. Amen!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    claireblacker Asked:

Hey - So I am planning on getting a new camera. I currently have the D70 - it is old, heavy and getting very outdated. I am currently taking A-Level photography, I have had an interest in the topic for a few years. I am planning on taking it on further in life. My Mum being an ex schools photographer and my Dad having a personal interest - the camera will get a lot of use.
    For reasons to do with the lens motor? I have come down to the choice of picking either the Nikon D7000 OR for an extra £200 GBP (About 400$) for the D7100.
    I have looked at reviews - most say there is a noticeable update and difference. However the key question is the WORTH it. Both cameras will be bought from new from the same place - so in that factor there is no difference.
    The price difference is a lot, I just want to know if the money is worth it.
    Thanks
    Msmoto, mod
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    claireblacker Asked:
    ? I have come down to the choice of picking either the Nikon D7000 OR for an extra £200 GBP (About 400$) for the D7100.
    As someone who owns both get the 7100 if you do tele shooting as the crop factor is great.
    Otherwise they are very similar, with the 7100 maybe having a slight advantage in focus.
    I too have both and my experience so far is that the D7100 has better autofocus, MUCH better low light high ISO performance and gets a lot more out of a good lens than the D7000, but if your usage is not in low light and the better controls of the D7100 don't matter, then it's very close between them.
    Always learning.