D600 Dust/Oil/Lubricant Issue discussion/Discontinuation and price reductions

Comments

• JumbonasJumbonas Posts: 1Member
    Or just keep the 800 :)

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I'd like to know what's going on in Holland. Ton?
  • SatoSato Posts: 50Member
    edited November 2013
    Not much i'd asume, The whole story sounds like BS too me.
    As anything the Nikon Service Centre here in the Netherlands/Holland can't handle is sent to a service centre in Germany.
    I wouldn't suspect it would be used as a gathering point for D600 that need to be checked and or fixed, As the facility in Germany are bigger, better staffed and better equiped to handle something like that if it were tru.

Still need to get my D600 fixed or replaced,
    Although I must admit that I'm starting to feel more and more at ease with the thought of trying to get a full refund and abandoning photography as a hobby.
    Haven't been active in it for 9 months now.
    Post edited by Sato on
  • I have no idea what Holland has to do with it Proudgeek.

After the statement from Nikon that they should repair the D600, I brought it to the Nikon service center here, we have just 1 (one) service center in Beverwijk for this country.

They cleaned it, changed the shutter and my camera was back in 4 days, because the service center received the parts sooner then expected. The second time they checked and only cleaned it and after that I have no oil anymore (still normal dust as any DSLR). Do you think Nikon service center Beverwijk is the only service center in the world where they can do that ????

A very, very strange story Bbarb.

Nikon service center Beverwijk, Holland is to small to handle all the defective D600's in the world. The normal way in my opinion is, that your service center should sent it back to the factory for repair.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    My perspective of this is that it is all normal as Nikon Bv is the main distributor for all of the EU. I would assume that any 'rounding up' of defective D600's within the EU would take place there for return to Japan.
    Always learning.
  • bbarbbbarb Posts: 58Member
    Well guys i really dont know and to be honest, i also dont care that much.
    I mean the whole story is something i dont like at all, and it makes me feel unconfortable.
    I contacted them yesterday and they told me that they still try to fix the camera by following directions from HQ. but at the moment what ever they tried has faild.
    So strange!
    They had the camere almost 3 months and they were in contact with HQ and they didnt manage to fix it. Then they decided (they were told actually) to send the camera to holland, but again the camera came back with the same problems (an other month) and now they are trying to fix it again!
    What is going on??
    I really dont like it. To me it seems like they do what ever possible to ''fix'' the camera and eventually force me take it back. So its clear to me that the faster i move now the bigger the chances to get the d610 (and save my money).
    So, I told them that i would like to know what their intensions are.
    I also told them that from now on i demand a solution and finaly an end of this story within 2 days .
    After that i will press charges on them and i will demand a full refund or an imidiate replacment with a d610.
    I also told them that i dont care anymore for this D600 and even if they do fix it now, we will all end up in courts if they try to force me take it back.
    So to sum up i told them to stop trying to fix it.
    At a point in the conversation, they told me why i am in such a rush (such rush after 5 months????) since i already have a d800 to work with, and i replied them i paid for 5-6 fps and now i have half of them and i also told them that my investment is loosing money, the more they keep it the more money i loose.
    Anyway, I have to admit that the head of the service engineer i was talking with yesterday, was 100% percent on my side, but the facts remain as they are at the moment.
    Today or latest by tomorow i will have news,and i hope good news, so i will keep you updated.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @bbarb

I am a bit confused…what do you think you can do with the D600 that is not possible with the D800 you have in hand?
    Msmoto, mod
    Well, the only thing that cant be done by the d800 is the 5.5 fps. So at action shoots you lose almost half of the action
    But again i dont earn money by shooting action, ie sports etc, so it is not that much important for me. But my main point is not that i am not satisfied with the d800. My point is that if they eventually somehow fix my d600, then my chances for an upgrade to the d610 will be dramaticaly decreased. But as long as my D600 is not working and is in their hands i can claim my money back or an exchange much easier.
    Keep also in mind that i paid this camera 1800 euros almost 5 months ago. I kept it in my hands about 30 days and the rest of it's life is in the service center. Meanwhile Nikon launched the next model, which at once make every used D600 resales value drop. So, why allow them to make me lose money, when my camera is still not working and is still in their hands? I am not sure if i express my self correctly but do you see my point?
    I am sorry this thread has gotten so long, and this may be covered already. But, it would be my opinion that you may find action against the retailer who sold the camera is the only recourse. As to the FPS, as someone who does shoot action, I don't think the difference between 4 FPS and 5,5 is that significant.

The issue for you has become so frustrating because the proper procedure would appear for them to have given you a new camera. And, I know how these issues can be stressors in our lives do to the apparent lack of responsibility on the part of the repair facility.

So, I hope somehow it all gets worked out and you get a new D610 at some point.
    Msmoto, mod
    Thanks, i hope so as well.
    I will wait for these couple of days as i agreed with the head of service and then my lawer will contact them for a first contact.
    By the way and since you do shoot action why you consider the 4 vs 5,5 fps not siginificant? I know that 1,5 frame is not a huge differenece, but if you see it from a percentage point of view, the d600 is 37,5% faster than D800, isn't it something important??? I understand that lenses and AF system is much more important, but since lenses are common and the AF of D600 is also advanced as well, i think in the end you get these plenty of shoots that somone could make the difference. (again i shoot travel so not an action expert, so i am just thinking out loud) yes yes i know out of topic sorry.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member
    bbarb, I am really sorry to hear you are still in this situation. What I am guessing is that you just want resolution and closure. I can see that you have lost trust in the D600 and don't want to take it back even if they say they fixed it.

I was the same way and just wanted out of my D600. I didn't trust it anymore and that makes photography not much fun. It sounds like whoever you are working with is being very helpful, however. My experience with Nikon USA is that they would "fix" it and send it back to me only to have it spot right back up. Some of the times they sent it back with spots already on the sensor! It is clear they didn't test it well or fix it. At least the people you are working with are testing and continuing to work on it.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    bbarb: you have been patient enough. Go ahead and pursue any remedy your local law gives you against Nikon as long as it won't cost you money. In the US litigation is expensive because lawyers, like doctors, have to be paid for their service. No one works for free. In the US litigation is really not worth it unless the amount in controversy is well over $10,000.

It is surprising they cannot fix your camera. If the D610 shutter is the fix you would think they could just install one of those in your body. Very strange.
    If I were you @bbarb, I would say the fact is simply that they have had long enough to fix it and the fact that they can't shows it is not fit for purpose and you want your money back on that basis. FPS is BS and they know it but they have no answer for the real situation.
    Always learning.
    Here in the UK, we have a small claims court which is designed for justice and fairness without the law court robbers bleeding the innocent dry. I believe the threshold has increased recently but a D600 easily falls within it without that increase.
    Always learning.
    Yes, get the money you paid for the D600 back and buy a D610 with it.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    If Nikon can't fix it and they have tried too several times, then push for your money back AND NOT another new D600. If they say they will ship you a D610 great, but right now I would go for a full refund.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Over 10,000 exposures now on my D600. Just checked it. No new dust. Two very small gray spots which look like oil. Not even enough to do a wet cleaning or even take the lens of for a blow out.
    I was at the local camera dealer yesterday and they have two used D600 they took in trade in the last week. One for a D610 and one for a D800E. One has a shutter count of 2,000. The manager told me they have lots of room on the price. I did not say anything but their price was high, $1399.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    While looking at a D600 some months ago, I asked how much they would give me for it in part exchange and their reply was 1/3rd of the current value.... I would rather it sat on my shelf gathering dust than give it away for that, so yes - I would say there is A LOT of room in that price! Offer half, settle at $900.
    Always learning.
    I agree spraynpray on that price. It's got to be under $900. They also had a used D700 with just under 1,800 clicks and a D300S with approximately 5,000 clicks. Both the D700 and D300S were in beautiful condition.
    Does anyone know if the shutter in the D610 can be placed in a D600? And, what the cost might be? If one has $900 in the D600 and for another $400 can get a new shutter, this might be the real deal.
    Msmoto, mod
  • boltbolt Posts: 12Member
    Let the Nikon Service replace the shutter for free if the D600 is still under warranty - I have had a pleasant experience with the NY tech support- they replaced the shutter and 5 sponges in my last D600 (I don't know if they are relevant) - The sensor collects dust on the upper part of the image yet, but are only fine particles of dust and not oil and they are visible at f22 at high contrast (not a real situation) - the sensor is really easy to clean with a blower - I have put 10,000 actuations after the replacement and I don't have one drop of oil yet. the dust is mostly due to the lens that I use, the 28-300mm, that is a vacuum cleaner.
    I think Nikon has finally found the way to fix the oil issue, and aside the frustration of sending the camera for repair, I had it fixed in two weeks.
    It is still unclear why the dust clusters on the top left of the image - maybe is due to the air vortex and the shape of the camera.....
    It is unfortunate that there are so many people angry at Nikon, that they are committed to boycott the Nikon D610 ( see Amazon reviews ) - Nikon owes them a working D600, but I don't think a replacement of the D600 with a D610; I don't think this happens with other products - recalls with replacement parts is the way that every company deals with these kind of things, that are more common that everyone may think. If Nikon is not able to fix the oil problem then people may claim a replacement with a working camera - but for what I see, most of the people are confusing dust for oil after the replacement of the shutter and they get more angry.
    A full frame mirror DSLR with high shutter speed is more subject to collect dust then a DX camera or a mirror-less camera; small particles of dust are also more visible because of the high resolution.

• Standupguy37Standupguy37 Posts: 2Member
    Dear Bolt,

So are you saying that just because the d600 is full frame it is normal for it to collect dust on the sensor? Then why no reports of the d700, d800, etc having this issue and why did the d7000 have such a well documented sensor dust issue?

My own experience: I have had to send the camera back three times now and its like they do nothing but clean the low pass filter. They say they have replaced the shutter mech. I do not live in a dusty area nor do I remove the lens.

I expect this from Canon, but from Nikon? What is going on? Does anyone know how to use the lemon law? I have been told that if Nikon does not fix this issue after the third repair that they have to refund your money?
    Surprisingly this guy chose the Nikon D600 as his only body in a remote location. I would have thought he would have selected the D800.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Sometimes when you are going to remote locations weight is not just an issue of how much you mind carrying yourself. Some flights might limit it as well. That guy was already carrying a lot of climbing gear, so that would have to be taken into account.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
This discussion has been closed.