Lightroom 5 (All discussions)

Comments

• hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    LR Beta was buggy for me, but it may have been my install. I like the new brushes and other new features and will give the free trial a go with a fresh install. If it runs smoothly, I'm in. I put in so many hours on LR that I cannot image not spending a paltry $80 every year and a half or so to upgrade.

PS is a completely different issue. I'm still on CS5, and that was a costly upgrade from 5.5, and with the cost of CC, it looks like this non-pro will make due with CS5 for a very very long time.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited June 2013
    I wonder if that means I wouldn't be able to upgrade from LR4 to LR6? Probably.
    I love all the optimistic post on NRF

I think Adobe has always simply insisted, you have a legitimate, full version, of any previous LR .

Cant see why they would change this

That said, there are 3 certainties in life . Death, Taxes and change

(One of the major features of LR 6 will be support for the D400)

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I wonder if that means I wouldn't be able to upgrade from LR4 to LR6? Probably.
    I love all the optimistic post on NRF

I think Adobe has always simply insisted, you have a legitimate, full version, of any previous LR .

Cant see why they would change this

That said, there are 3 certainties in life . Death, Taxes and change

(One of the major features of LR 6 will be support for the D400)

Glad you see that as optimistic Seven, I thought it was leaning towards pessimistic when I wrote it!

As to 'legitimate, full version of any previous' I guess that answers my question because although mine would be 'legitimate' and 'full', it would not be the immediately 'previous' version.

I would have thought the D400 would be an LR5.x free upgrade?

Nice to see you phrasing your post like the D400 is a certainty now.... :P
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    As seven said, its any previous version. You are good to go.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Got the new LR5 yesterday. Have not played with all its new features but so far I like it. :)
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited June 2013
    @Sevencrossing @Ironheart: Sorry guys, I read that wrong - I thought Seven meant I would had to have the immediately previous version but now I see it could be read as any previous version. That's great.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    if you have LR 4 you try LR5 for 30 days free
    edited June 2013
    Not sure if we should start a new Lightroom 5 or just change the name on the topic. My vote is for the latter.
    Never the less, I have been playing with some of the new features and I must say I really like the new "upright" option. A sample for your evaluation and discussion.

EXIF Data: D4 24-70 2.8 1/1000 ISO 100 @ f/4.6

Original Shot:

ARN_7324-2

LR 5 with Upright option:

ARN_7324-1
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    @sevencrossing: I've had the LR5 beta since it was released and I agree with PitchBlack it is so far which is why I will probably skip it.

@PitchBlack: Forget layers, that is never going to happen as it treads on the toes of PS too much. I would like to see selection tools included in the brush and filter palette though.

@Golf007sd: I don't see anything in those pics that I couldn't have done in LR4.3 - am I missing something?
    Always learning.
  • ibecameweibecamewe Posts: 32Member
    I'm going to briefly take you through these and some of the other more significant additions to the Light room 5 public beta so that you can jump in and start experimenting with these tools on your own. As always, bear in mind that this is a beta version, whose release is aimed at generating feedback and bug reports from a diverse user base. Tools, features and performance may change significantly before a final shipping version is released. You'll need to create a new Light room catalog to use version 5 and I'd never recommend performing mission critical work on an early beta release.
    edited June 2013
    @spraynpray: It is the simplicity and the manner in which LR5 saves the user time in cropping and editing a photo (or a batch of them) that makes this feature so great. LR4.x does allow the user to do the same task, but not as fluid as LR5. This edit was done in 3 clicks :) For the price of the upgrade ($79) when you think of it in relation to camera gear it is "pennies on the dollar" given the results it produces.
    edited June 2013
    Golf007sd .......but not as fluid as LR5. This edit was done in 3 clicks ........

I sometimes have several hundred images that need correcting and they have to be done quickly
    but this is when I am working professionally, so the upgrade will pay for it self in a few hours
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    While the lens corrections in post processing are impressive, IMO the way to do this is in the camera using the PC lenses. All correction, as best an old person can understand, when done in post, uses a small portion of the image and expands it at one end or the other to give the "correction". This results in a loss of definition, again, as I understand the process.

Perspective in a static image is a combination of geometric rules and how our brain works. A "correct" perspective, as is often seen in view camera architectural shots, is sometimes not as pleasant as one which has only 95% correction in camera. All, one's personal preference, however.

I will most likely purchase the LR 5 simply because I am using Lightroom now in 4.4. And there are some new brush techniques I understand.

Please remember I do not have any "production" demands which allows a different way of looking at things. I respect all who are working in professional photography and understand your needs are individualized for your clients.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited June 2013
    , IMO the way to do this is in the camera using the PC lenses.
    Yes but I don't think Nikon do a 16 - 35 PC
    and ( trying to stay on topic), there is a very big price defiance difference between a LR 5 upgrade and a PC Nikkor

@sevencrossing

You are absolutely correct....the price is the deal breaker.....and for the vast majority being able to correct in post is a miracle.....

My thoughts were aimed at the pro doing this for a client in which case IMO the lens is justified....$2,000.00
    Msmoto, mod
    just wish I could charge $2,000 for a simple interior of a student house
    but even so, I need a 16mm lens
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    Well, after struggling to make LR5 work for me I've finally decided to purge it from my computer and stick with LR4. Even with lens correction and CA adjustments turned off (a common suggestion by others with LR5 problems), the adjustment brushes continue to slow to a crawl after moderate to extensive use and LR5 becomes unresponsive and useless. LR 4 has no such problems on my computer with the same images and same adjustments. Since this problem seems to be well documented, though not universal, and I had the same problems with the beta, I have no choice but to call this a buggy release and wait for a 5.1. Glad I hadn't paid for it yet and I hope it works for others.

As a note, I've worked extensively on maybe 20 images in LR5 and the only new feature I used was the reveal spots feature. I'm finding the other new features, which I think are great, aren't really proving to be a lot of value to me in my workflow.
    Well, I just purchased LR 5.3 to update my LR 4.4……better spot removal tool, will see how it goes. Total upgrade cost was acceptable at $80 plus tax.

Also, changed thread to reflect all discussions….
    Msmoto, mod
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited December 2013
    I enjoy the new LR 5 version. My next task is to convert all pics into smart previews to save up the hard drive for space. All my raw files are/will be on external storage for initinal import and workflow they will go into the 2nd bay hard drive.

I like the lens correction tool as well.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    edited December 2014
    Adobe Lightroom 5.7.1 is now available. Go here to get more info.

Also if you have not gotten Adobe Camera Raw 8.7.1...go here to get it as well.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    Catalog question...

My hard drive died and I lost my Lightroom catalog file. Fortunately, I had all files backed up through 7 January 2015, so I only lost a few days worth of work. I also found out that my catalog backups were being saved on the same drive and not my NAS, where my pictures are backed up at.

Since I will be starting over, how do you organize your Lightroom catalog.

I have ALL my pictures in a single catalog sorted by year and then month. I do not do projects or jobs, so I do not need to go any more specific.

So, my question is, do you have one big catalog, a catalog per year, or a catalog for each project? Mine was one big catalog and was about 500MB in size.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    One big catalog so everything is in one place. Unless there is a strong reason to keep files separate. My catalogue is several gigabytes and presents no problems.

I use an extensive tagging system for searching. If I want to find a picture of a certain person, or all landscapes, or where the subject is a flag, or was taken in Eugene, Oregon, it is an easy search.
    @WestEndFoto

I use tagging, as well. Makes sense to use one catalog for tag searching. I did not think of that.

Thanks,

-Lou
    Holy crap!

I had my external SSD drive where I keep all my photography files plugged into my laptop. The light just started flickering on my external drive. It is alive again!

I am backing up EVERYTHING right now.

Still interested in hearing how everyone is using and organizing their catalog(s).
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    My Lightroom is set so it backups the catalogue every time I close Lightroom, in a different place of course.