Lightroom 5 (All discussions)

124»

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Probably the answer is this:
    Prior to the D80 I had a kodak and fuji point at shoot and i had that file structure
    pictures\date-event\ and simple as that. I didnt have a file structure like i do now because lightroom was Not needed to view snapshots on the pc.
    come the d80 I made a nikon folder with a d80 folder to seperate it from the other photos. I just kept that structure with a new folder for each diffrent camera moving forward. I was shooting in jpg and in auto and light room was not needed.
    Once I shot raw then I used light room.

I'm thinking I kept the separate Nikon and d80 folder because I didn't want to waste time looking thru pictures\date-party Using the Windows picture viewer when I had maybe 300 events of parties when I was at Dj events with my cousin and I only wanted to focus on the latest DSLR photos.

It doesn't affect lightroom or anything. I like the organization like that.

I can easily retrieve the latest pic of my cousin araceli by going to the picture\Fuji xe1\ family reunion
    rather than trying to remember the date picture\yearxxxx file struction mentioned above.

I met @Golf in 2014 for a day shoot. In 2014 I had the d800 then d810 and Df
    If 5 years from now he asks the Photo that I took of him I'll go directly to the
    D800 folder because I know by memory which camera I had.

I don't think I would change it even if it is confusing Or a complicated structure. It makes my searching easier when I'm looking for a specific Photo.

Back when I had a 1 tb drive in my secondary drive I could only have the d800 files in it.
    So what I did was move the other camera folders to the main backup drive and archive drive and kept the d800 folder in the 1tb drive.
    Moving everything with the exception of the d800 folder was easier this way.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If 5 years from now he asks the Photo that I took of him I'll go directly to the D800 folder because I know by memory which camera I had.
    Dangerous! I did exactly that the other day and it could have been taken by two poss three cameras and I couldn't remember which. Not too important for personal shots, but no good for work. The customer can always remember their name and what year the shot is from then I just look for their name within that year. Simples!
    Always learning.
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    I can easily retrieve the latest pic of my cousin araceli by going to the picture\Fuji xe1\ family reunion
    rather than trying to remember the date picture\yearxxxx file struction mentioned above.

I met @Golf in 2014 for a day shoot. In 2014 I had the d800 then d810 and Df
    If 5 years from now he asks the Photo that I took of him I'll go directly to the
    D800 folder because I know by memory which camera I had.

That is actually what tagging is for...
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    edited January 2015
    What's a good, 3rd party book for LR5?
    Post edited by HipShot on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2015
    book for LR5?

I don't seem to allowed to post a link

but search for "lightroom queen"
    It is a Pdf
    Victoria Bampton . does not sell hard copies as LR keeps being updated

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    Just to clarify, my organization that I mentioned above was actually based on how I store my files on my hard drive. I noticed that 'collections' was being used in the more recent posts.

My collections are a little different. I don't have as many collections, so they are usually based on what the topic is -- Vacations/Year-Destination, Soccer Games/Child's Name, Focal Lengths/xxmm, Birthdays/Child's Name/Year, etc.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I think the last few comments prove, there is more than one way to skin a cat
    LR is very flexible on how you file your images and organise your Work flow ; there is no correct way
    @sevencrossing

Thanks! I was able to download the free "get started" pdf.

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/free-ebook/lr5/
    @sevencrossing

The "getting started" pdf has been VERY helpful. Thanks for steering me thataway!