Sigma rear caps are better

2»

Comments

• AtlantaTerryAtlantaTerry Posts: 2Member
    I just went to the Sigma website and looked at their Nikon rear lens caps. They do not show Part Number LCR NA II. What is up with that? The next time I go to my camera dealer I will see if they have these lens caps.

BTW, because this website does not use a typeface with a serif it is hard to understand the "II" is the same as Roman Numerals for 2 (two uppercase letters "i").
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Depends, what you see as "optimal position". A body with a battery grip takes a bag which should be 17-20 cm deep to store it in an upright position. My bags are 23 and 26 cm deep, so I'm wasting space because most lenses I own are 11 cm long with caps. Only tele lenses/zooms are long enough, that you have not to dig deep to grab 'em. Glueing two rear caps together is basically the same as putting one lens into the bag and using the space above for another lens - only without the damper or pad between. Don't know how to call this little cushions with velcro.

Also, sometimes I go "slim", with one body and one or two lenses. With that glued caps you always only need one hand to hold two lenses, that makes it easier to change. It's more for primes, I'd say, bur with them I found it very useful.
    Ah, I get what you mean now. Depending on what how long those lenses are it can be useful to glue rear caps together.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    @AtlantaTerry the Sigma website you did your searching is probably outdated. I know the Swiss and the German versions when the lenses have still the old design. The Swiss distributor doesn't list any of the modern lenses, but is selling them as well as the new rear caps. Here is no picture, but the correct order numbers on Sigma Global.

@NSXTypeR it turned out the gluing of the rear caps works. But if the lenses have a big barrel, the "turn-clockwise-to-open" is not working so well with me and it is still necessary to hold the rear caps while unscrewing the lens of it. That was better with Mamiya lenses because of their larger bayonet. When I tried it with the f/1.4Gs it was not very useful yet, I guess I should try again with exchanged positions in my TT Sling-O-Matic bag. Or use the combination for thinner lenses.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I must be missing something about gluing caps together. Doesn't this mean one needs twice as many caps? Two for each lens? My lenses are packed for a particular job and do not always stay in one bag.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    No Tommie - they use two glued together to supposedly make handling smaller lenses easier (having two lenses back to back connected). Personally I don't like it because the C of G changes suddenly when one lens is rotated to remove the cap. I don't like surprises.
    Always learning.
    Basically you're right, spraynpray. When the back caps come off so easily like the Sigmas, it's not predictable what will turn first? The lens hood of the wrong lens, the wrong lens itself? It would be okay, if I had one of those lens changer bags of ThinkTank. I don't, therefore it was a stupid idea with too much variables changed :(
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @spraynpray

"I don't like surprises" Yes, especially the one's when you see the lens half way to the ground....LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Excuse me, but I can't find the LCR-NA II referenced anywhere... My usual "gear pusher" talked to Sigma Denmark yesterday, and all they have is the usual LCR-NA rear cap for Nikon. Is that the same one we are talking about here? I.e. the one which came with my new 50mm 1.4 EX DG HSM...
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Killerbob: I to was unable to fine any reference to that number. As I said, I ordered mine right from Sigma itself and got the best price. I took the chance that if Sigma knew exactly what I needed for my Nikon gear...they got it right. Part number or not....order direct to be safe. :P
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    I posted that Link on May, 30th: http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_30_14/accessories.html

For Nikon the Barcode number is NIKON 00-85126-92950-3
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I told all of this to the Sigma rep., and he couldn't find "NIKON 00-85126-92950-3" anywhere in his assortment. I of course can find the std. Nikon one from Sigma, but I think it has changed recently, and Sigma does not have a site to buy from here in Denmark:( So, I have to go via one of the distributors, and they don't know Didley:)