D800 Min Shutter 2/Focal Length in Aperture Priority?

nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
edited August 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I'm having trouble taking sharp images hand held. I really like to shoot in aperture priority mode with auto-ISO turned on. I'd rather have the ISO raised up a bit and have the minimum shutter set to 2/Focal Length instead of 1/Focal Length. For example when I use my 50mm the shutter drops to 1/50s but I'd rather have it set to 1/125 instead so I can get tack sharp images. Is there a setting on the camera to do this?

Are there any other settings on the camera that would help with camera shake? Would quiet shutter mode help reduce vibration? Would getting a D810 help with the quieter shutter (Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse :D ?)

If this option isn't available is there anyway to hack on the camera similar to magic lantern for Canon?
Tagged:

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2014
    I am not sure you can do it in "A" mode or not.. I don't use that mode often.. I am a "P" mode guy. and you can do that in "P" mode by turning the back Dial to increase the shutter speed of the program mode. I think you can do it in A mode as well but like i said I am not sure. .. other than that just use full manual "M" mode.

I noticed movement in my D7000 which went away in quiet mode. so yes Quiet mode helps in the D7000. I stay in quiet mode because of that. and I am doing the same with my D610 but I have not noticed movement when not in quiet mode so It may only be that the D7000 was extra susceptible to shutter shake.

what camera do you have?
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The OP said, "D800" in the title of the thread, kind of a dead giveaway.

I'm guessing that you are using auto ISO? If so, you can force the camera to a higher shutter speed in the auto ISO settings menu. On the auto mode press OK and choose "Faster".
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited August 2014
    under ISO sensitivity menu set minimum shutter speed to AUTO ...... PB _ PM beat me to it

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    Thanks everyone, you saved me from getting a D810... for now :D The auto ISO setting is exactly what I was looking for. I did see that in the shooting menu, but didn't realize it had submenus.
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    Just note 2 things: 1) The D800 will show camera shake where you have never seen it before when pixel peeping. Question really is, if you can see it on the output of your file. If you are printing 8x10 or posting files under 2000 on the long side, you probably will not. 2) Raising the ISO will naturally take away sharpness. Again, rarely under normal use, no one will notice.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2014
    @BH is right .. my D7000 showed shake at pixel level even at quite high shutter speeds.. so i now use it in quiet mode almost permanently. (unless I want max FPS.). My the D610 may not have this issue.. well I have not noticed it.. but i am in quiet mode most times anyway. (did I mention I love the D610?)

PS the ways I have got around the shutter slam shake on my D7000 are with quiet mode.. and with a heavy tripod and or heavy lense.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I just stand atop my wobbly steps with my D800 and 17-35mm NO Vr and click away in CL at 2 per second and never had any shake problems .......??? auto iso min 1/30 auto shutterspeed not engaged
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @nek4life: I use auto ISO - limit set to 3200. When using a 35mm I set minimum shutter speed to 1/100. When using a 85mm I set minimum shutter speed to 1/200. The camera raises the ISO until it reaches 3200, then it lowers the shutter speed. That is my usual settings. I can change them if I need to.

Under normal shooting I only have to worry about DOF - aperture.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited August 2014
    One of the techniques for obtaining sharp images is to be certain we are careful when shooting the image to not push, but squeeze. Also, holding the camera when using slow shutter speeds, using an elbow wedged in our sides to create a "tripod" effect can help. Even breathing can be adjusted when really down in the 1/2 or even 1/4 of the focal length shutter speed inverse relationship.

I use minimum shutter speed especially when capturing people, primarily to avoid the subject movement problem. (Usually 1/160 sec)
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    God bless VR3. I am a shaker but I held my 70-200 f4 at 1/6th sec at 70mm the other night and it was sharp!
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I'm guilty of pushing over squeezing the shutter. I catch my mistake and re-take the photo. One day I will get that habit out of the way.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    While I said I had no issues with camera shake I did try a HDR with the D800 and it was terrible you could almost see the two images ..I did not use a VR lens ..will have a go with the D7100 with VR