Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
edited October 2014 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
Please use this topic in regards to the upcoming Nikon D750 body to be introduced at Photokina 2014.

Rumored specs can be found here.
Post edited by Golf007sd on
D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon, where was this body a year ago? As much as I like the D800, this D750 rumor is very interesting. I wouldn't miss the extra resolution that much, and if it is a speedier camera than the D810 I'm likely going to buy it.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Well if this rumor proves to be true it shows that nikon finally got the memo as to a smaller action body. If it has a good crop mode and is priced at what is rumored I don't see why not it could replace the D300 & D700
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    Some may want to re-read the specs again - it is basically the upgrade to the D600 if they hadn't screwed that one up so bad and were forced to release a fixed "gap" camera. This would be a "normal" time for the refresh to be released. My guess is that they are abandoning the "600" name series.

Articulated screen, lightweight, basically sounds like a D5200 with a FX chip. Nothing wrong with that. It will be interesting if they beef up the video features in it.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited August 2014
    @Bokeh_Hunter: It will be interesting indeed to see how it actually turns out. Heavily video biased makes sense, as does an action still biased body between the D610 and D800.

I do not agree that the D600 series name is tainted however. The D600 is for sure, but the D610 is fixed so I'd happily have bought one at Christmas when I bought my D7100 if it wasn't for the focus system. If the D750 has the D800's focus system, I'm in asap. If I do get the D750, the D400/9300 is going to be dead to me even if it appears. That boat will have sailed. Nikon missed out there IMHO.

EDIT: I am starting to think video biased makes more sense because the D4s stayed at 16MP and so a true D700 replacement (high fps, great high ISO, great AF) would maybe rob D4s sales. I hope I'm wrong in this last paragraph.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    edited August 2014
    Nikon, where was this body a year ago?
    Before Expeed 4 was available, 24 Mp was impossible at a high frame rate.

Oh, this could so much be the perfect body for me, but if it's really a D610++ with heavy video enhancements, it's quite the opposite. Interesting to some, I'm sure, but not at all what I or many other enthusiasts wanted.
    Post edited by Sports on
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2014
    I have the D610.. and its awesome! I don't think its ready for an upgrade at all. Yes the D610 on paper has a weaker focus tech.. but I believe its the best of all the 39 af point cameras that nikon has. eg Its noticeably much better than my D7000 (not that the D7000 was bad.) Many reviews say its as good as the D7100. better in some areas worse in others as to be expected.

However, the new D710/D750 is interesting.. I have mentioned before that it could be the tech/geek version of the Df.. with every geek tech stuffed into it ie a spec reader's paradise. ! targeted at high end enthusiasts who would find the D810 a boring workhorse.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

However, the new D710/D750 is interesting.. I have mentioned before that it could be the tech/geek version of the Df.. with every geek tech stuffed into it ie a spec reader's paradise. !
    I hope it isn't another retro camera - IMHO that would be desperate,
    Always learning.
    The specs state a 24mp sensor - so there is no "D4 killer" like the D700 was to the D3. Nikon will never make that misstep again. Even with a 24mp sensor, with the new processor, the FPS could reach the 7-9fps range given the 810 does 6fps. That would be really nice.

The focus system will be interesting to see what they put in it. I doubt it would be the new D4s/D810 system but it would be fun to see it in there though. Knowing Nikon though, this will again be where they skimp out on features and continue to push people to the pro systems to get the best AF.

People I run into who don't follow cameras don't differentiate between 600 & 610. We may understand the difference but for 'normal' people, it's all 6s to them. (The daemon camera. (; )

My thought on video is that many news reporters are using the Canon 7D and the 70D due to added features that Nikon doesn't have and that it is lightweight. (I'm not sure what they are though - but that is what everyone writes about.)

Depending on the price, (Hell, maybe it will be a D3300 with a FX chip) I think this may be the start to see the push-out of the DX systems. It seems rather obvious that there will not be a D300 replacement. What is interesting is that Canon is rumored to release the 7D mk II (Canon's DX system opposite of the D300) that is suppose to have 1D X pro system features. That would line up a Canon DX sports camera and a Nikon high FPS FX camera for close to the same price. That is an interesting quandary for users to consider.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Could it be, the D6XX is a bad dream for Nikon, and that they are looking toward elimination of any D6XX bodies, now that the "replacement" policy has been put into place and the lawsuits most likely nearly all resolved by this move. But, elimination of the D6XX may be in the works to become completely free of the association with the D600 disaster.

The pricing of the D7XX might also suggest this will be a less expensive "sports" camera with some interesting features… the movable viewing screen, in particular.

One thing I do believe…. I will never understand how Nikon is currently thinking in terms of marketing. But, there must be some long range planning on eventually introducing a mirrorless professional body at some point and maybe some of the features on the new D7XX are being test marketed… but I think outside the box quite often... :))
    Msmoto, mod
    It will indeed be interesting to see what AF system they put in it. If it is the D810 system it will be a great camera, if it is the D610 system, it will be sad.
    Always learning.
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    If you're like me and have tried to check for yourself on any even newer or different rumors on the possible D750, tough luck. I found that all articles not only come to the same conclusion, but they all link back to nikonrumors as their (only) source.

Well done!

This may be awesome. I'm carefully pessimistic though :-) They'll manage to f**** it up somewhere... like, label it "action cam" and put the 39 sensor focus system in there.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I would consider it only if it does not have the small focus area which irritates me in my D600.
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    Finalllllllly, a Full Frame I can trade in my D7100 for! I'm looking forward to this camera! The added video will work well for my Real Estate Business!!!!
    \:D/
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    I'm still shooting the D700 and convinced now, more than ever, that my limitations in my photography are less and less a product of my camera body or lenses and rather much more between my ears however I have been planning to upgrade to the D810 later this year.

With this camera potentially becoming available (a surprise) I don't think I'm going to change that plan. Though I too feel 36Mp is probably more than I'd ever need, the fact the D810 seems to round out all the little things so well, now shoots at a very respectable frame rate and has the cropping/DX mode ability thrown in while still maintaining good resolution I just don't see saving a few hundred bucks and accepting less. Just my feelings right now, this could change when it's released...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I'm still shooting the D700 and convinced now, more than ever, that my limitations in my photography are less and less a product of my camera body or lenses and rather much more between my ears...
    True. I think sometimes the reason for upgrading or changing cameras is to find a better balance for a particular shooting style.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    It will indeed be interesting to see what AF system they put in it. If it is the D810 system it will be a great camera, if it is the D610 system, it will be sad.
    That is my feeling as well. But I know this is Nikon, and my brain takes over - the odds of them putting the highest end focusing module in a consumer camera is 1 in a billion. There is a better chance that the Focus system is like the Sony a7 - phase and contrast detect with an EVF. The odds of that would be 1 in 500million. ;)

The only things it will have the same as the pro bodies is the processor and maybe video features. Let history be your guide, Nikon has never put anything shared beyond that in their lower bodies. People will piss and moan about not getting the AF pro features in a consumer camera, but that is what distinguishes the bodies. If you want the best AF, pony up the dough or just deal with it.
    •Formerly TTJ•
    Sounds right, let's see what it turns out to be because $2500 is a lot of lolly for just another consumer grade FX. It has to have something better than the D610!
    Always learning.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I think it would be great if this was like the D810, but with more fps and less mp. I like cameras to be different rather than to fill every possible price point.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited August 2014

One thing I do believe…. I will never understand how Nikon is currently thinking in terms of marketing. But, there must be some long range planning on eventually introducing a mirrorless professional body at some point and maybe some of the features on the new D7XX are being test marketed… but I think outside the box quite often... :))
    This is the place to think out of the box. You could be right on target...they are testing a few features for the next D4 or D810 upgrade.

My own thoughts, the D610 will continue and in 2+ years there will be a D620. The D750 is going to have features that some will be excited about and others are going to say I don't need those features and can save money and buy a D610.
    Besides those preliminary specs identified a few weeks ago on the main blog, my hunch is that the D750 is going to have these features:
    ++Larger body than the D610 and smaller than the D810. Size matters! :D
    ++New battery pack...a good reason to sell something new. :((
    ++AF system will have 51 points not 39 :\">
    ++Faster frames per second - again for action pictures....sports, BIF, cars :\">
    ++Bigger buffer than D7100 and D610 but smaller than D810 :\">
    ++New shutter, similar to D810. I would love to see the D810 shutter but doubt Nikon would do that.
    ++Faster Exceeds processor than D610. Expect they will cripple it so their D4 and D810 sales don't get killed
    ++Some new technology catching some of us by surprise. Engineers convince Marketing to get back to their roots!
    ++And all the other preliminary specs released on the main Blog 2 weeks ago; 24MP, tilt LCD screen, etc.

For those that need a faster DSLR than a D610 but cost significantly less than a D4 for action photography, this will be the entry model before moving up to the D4 family for the BEST camera.

IMHO, even those not needing the "action features" will dump their D600 and D610 and D700 bodies to buy the D750 because of the extra features. Especially the D700 owners who want some of the new gadgets...oops...tools and 24 MP. People that don't want to deal with the 36MP D800/D800E/D810 will jump on this camera if the above is true. If it's the same size body as the D610 then it will not go into immediate back order but will sell to those that need the "action features".

Sorry I rambled on...but I see a fit for the DSLR I described above. Let the discussion continue.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I think it would be great if this was like the D810, but with more fps and less mp. I like cameras to be different rather than to fill every possible price point.
    Well, IMO the "perfect" camera is in fact the D810 that is 24Mp and shoots at 7/8fps. All else remaining identical. It that body were priced at the same $3299 I'd probably take the D750 over the D810
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Even if it was a D610 with better AF and faster frame rate and tilt LCD it would be a pretty good camera.
    @Photobug - Everything you state seams very reasonable to me and I suspect you will be quite accurate with these projections.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    .... in a consumer camera .... Nikon has never put anything shared beyond that in their lower bodies
    - Well, you're stretching it, calling the D750 a consumer body.
    - And, Nikon DID this with the D300: they put pro components in a sub $2000 body.

All that being said, I'm more optimistic than some. D800 was exceptional value for money. D7100 and D810 are great value. Even D610 is a good deal, IMHO.
    I think Nikon will do it again. The new body MUST deliver, or else people will just buy D610 instead.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited August 2014
    my hunch is that the D750 is going to have these features:
    ++Larger body than the D610 and smaller than the D810. Size matters! :D
    I agree
    ++New battery pack...a good reason to sell something new. :((
    I doubt it. It will use one of the existing batteries
    ++AF system will have 51 points not 39 :\">
    For sure. At least on par with the 7100.
    ++Faster frames per second - again for action pictures....sports, BIF, cars :\">
    Agree, again 7+ fps
    ++Bigger buffer than D7100 and D610 but smaller than D810 :\">
    Agree
    ++New shutter, similar to D810. I would love to see the D810 shutter but doubt Nikon would do that.
    Agree with a quiet continuous mode
    ++Faster Exceeds processor than D610. Expect they will cripple it so their D4 and D810 sales don't get killed
    Agree but I don't think they will cripple the processor, only what is fed to the processor, and they might not do that given the Canon 7DM2.
    ++Some new technology catching some of us by surprise. Engineers convince Marketing to get back to their roots!
    Doubt it. They already played the big guns in 810 and D4S.
    ++And all the other preliminary specs released on the main Blog 2 weeks ago; 24MP, tilt LCD screen, etc.
    Yes, I agree.
    ++For those that need a faster DSLR than a D610 but cost significantly less than a D4 for action photography, this will be the entry model before moving up to the D4 family for the BEST camera.
    Nikon should really push down prices and settle their FF line as follows:
    $1K for the 610, $2K for the 750, $3K for the 810, $4K for the D4S
    It is clear in their steps and pricing. 610- budget FF, 750- intermediate FF, 810-advanced FF, D4S-pro FF.

They should do the same for the DX lines as well:
    $300 for 3K series, $600 for 5K series, $900 for 7K series, and $1.2K for 9K (D300/400) series
    3K is budget, 5K is intermediate, 7K is advanced, and 9K (D400) is pro.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
    @manhattanboy - Well, I don't think Nikon can sell a D610 for $1K. FF sensors, from what I understand, are not inexpensive to manufacture.

In regards to the battery pack, I think what he meant was battery grip. The battery will likely (hopefully) be the same used in the D7100, D610, & D810. The battery grip (I hope) will be a newer model, and hopefully priced between the D610 & D810 grips. D810 grip is absurd.

I think we're looking more like a $1800 / $2600 / $3200 / $6000 split here in their FX line up not inclusive of the funky Df.

Amongst us Nikon faithful, they're likely just going to split demand; ie no additional sales. The curious thing will occur against Canon, and now some of the Mirrorless options, (Sony, Fuji, Olympus). Will that lineup be enough to either bring over current Canon shooters or compel new entrants into the high end DSLR world toward the Nikon offerings.

Yes, Canon is releasing a new 7DmII but I've not heard anything about a refresh for their FF bodies. We might, for the first time in awhile, see some differential among the product offerings of each brand. Canon might seem to woo the highest end with the 1Dx and the professional crop guys with the 7DmII but Nikon might take the case for everything in between; except the video shooters which will likely stay Canon.

I think Nikon is positioning themselves pretty well in the slowly decaying DSLR world. IMO, at this point, it's probably high time for Nikon to start focusing on a truly revolutionary and advanced FF and Crop Mirrorless body that will use existing Nikon glass and perform at or above all the mirrorless competition. That alone might turn the table on the industry enough to push Nikon toward the top again.