Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    Flip-Out Screen Please. I NEED the Flip-Out Screen in a Full Frame....that would be a Huge Plus!!!!
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    Expeed 4, 51 points, 8fps, dual Cf cards, large buffer and rapid download, high battery capacity, Low light focus equivalent to a D4- I do like to dream, but as has been stated Nikon isn't likely to repeat the D700/D3 impingement. I've got a D4 and a 610 and the shutter rate and fps are a real drag in the 610- I hope they do better in the 750.
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    And then there are the action bird photographers like me. This could be quite the quandary for me. I have shot the D600 and the AF system is not as responsive as the D7100. For BIF initial acquisition was slower and tracking was almost as good depending on the light. So if this fabled D750 does has the better AF system it will be quite tempting even if I loose 33% linear resolution.. OTOH, The 7Dm2 might be perfectly spec'ed for what and how I shoot. I might be facing a major dilemma in a month...
  • 1skully1skully Posts: 37Member
    I am disappointed when I hear light weight body. I would like this body to resemble the 300,700, 810, pro-sumer bodies. I definitely hope for wider focus points and at least 7 fps.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited August 2014
    See below for further comments.
    my hunch is that the D750 is going to have these features:
    ++New battery pack...a good reason to sell something new. :((
    I doubt it. It will use one of the existing batteries
    Clarification.....Sorry, that is not what I meant. Agree they will use an existing battery but there will be a new battery grip for the bottom of the camera body.

@manhattanboy said:
    Sure looks like you and I are in agreement about the new D750. Lets hope we hit that one on the head.

You said:
    Nikon should really push down prices and settle their FF line as follows:
    $1K for the 610, $2K for the 750, $3K for the 810, $4K for the D4S
    It is clear in their steps and pricing. 610- budget FF, 750- intermediate FF, 810-advanced FF, D4S-pro FF.

Don't see those lower FF body prices happening, but we can always dream.

They should do the same for the DX lines as well:
    $300 for 3K series, $600 for 5K series, $900 for 7K series, and $1.2K for 9K (D300/400) series
    3K is budget, 5K is intermediate, 7K is advanced, and 9K (D400) is pro. - See more at:

Same comment about these prices, they are too low. Of course, you could buy a new D3000 for $350 a few months ago, not sure now. This model is probably sold out or near sell out now.

It's so much fun to really think through the options and to guess what will be on the new model.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    And then there are the action bird photographers like me. This could be quite the quandary for me. I have shot the D600 and the AF system is not as responsive as the D7100. For BIF initial acquisition was slower and tracking was almost as good depending on the light. So if this fabled D750 does has the better AF system it will be quite tempting even if I loose 33% linear resolution.. OTOH, The 7Dm2 might be perfectly spec'ed for what and how I shoot. I might be facing a major dilemma in a month...
    I think if you like a crop camera and can live with the switch to Canon, you may be on your way. My "guess" is that the 7dm2 is gonna be the crop king and a force to be reckoned with, similar to what the 1DX has done in that high end FF world. It's a good day to be a Nikon photographer if you value fair value FF bodies with sensors that have great DR and ISO performance. Not so much if you love a fast pro body crop camera ;)

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

Don't see those lower FF body prices happening, but we can always dream.
    With cell phones now, I think those are the prices that will be needed for survival in the mid term. Otherwise leak to cell phones and mirrorless will continue.

The challenge is to get to those prices and stop hunting whales.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2014
    @manhattanboy If Nikon lowers the price too much they will lose money on the bodies, that is not good for business either. Sony tried the same thing a number of years ago with the A850 (first sub $2500 full frame body, which was made before full frame bodies started going more mainstream) and the imaging division took a big hit as a result. I don't think Nikon can afford to do that at this point.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    .... in a consumer camera .... Nikon has never put anything shared beyond that in their lower bodies
    - Well, you're stretching it, calling the D750 a consumer body.
    - And, Nikon DID this with the D300: they put pro components in a sub $2000 body.
    1) We haven't seen the body yet, but if it is below the pro D8xx then it is a consumer system.
    2) The D300 was the "pro" DX usually called a pro-sumer system. It had the Pro AF, buffer, build quality, controls, etc of the pro systems. Price does not determine what class a camera is in nor does how some people may use it - it comes down to the features. I would call a DF a consumer system but at a Pro price point.
    --------

Not a wish list, but a realistic expectation:
    •Based on the articulated screen, I'm sure this will combine video updates and possibly include 4k video and all the "pro" and updated audio systems.
    •The new Expeed 4 will be in there. (Nikon has never crippled a processor - they have not included some options in consumer class systems, but never crippled it.)
    •I hope they have the larger pentaprism view finder.
    •The "Very light body" could be interesting - maybe finely a move to carbon fiber or another impact resistant polymer.
    •I'm guessing there will be a hybrid phase detect system included on chip for video. This is my primary reasoning there probably will not be the 51pt AF system.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. Truly, there isn't much else. It is almost easier to figure out what won't be in it. Full magnesium body (nope), the new 51pt AF (probably a nope), pro level weather sealing (nope), add to that all the D4/s features that are not in the D8xx-s and that would be it. I'm guessing they would drop the pro pentaprism as well (as that goes hand in hand with the AF system in the past.)
    --------
    •Formerly TTJ•
    Nikon is loosing ground badly, loosing sales and not replacing the dwindling compact market. That is just the sad reality. The only shining star is the D8xx with the 36mp. Sony has one too, but it lacks the AF speed and lenses. Canon 5d MKIII and Panasonic have ate up the DSLR video market, Sony, Olympus and Fuji are taking huge chunks out of the sub $2,000 systems market, and Sony is fulfilling the mirrorless FX market. The Pro system group that Nikon gained with the D3/D700 & D3s is moving back to Canon systems as they have caught up, and have deployed user interface features that are more friendly to shooters.

They had issues with the D800, mega multi-million dollar lawsuit over the D600, quality controol issues, great disappointment with the DF (mainly due to Fuji, Olympus and Sony deploying retro-like systems that were much closer to what people wanted), the massive overpricing of battery grips, the Nikon One system, the lack of DX prime lens releases, missed opportunity with the 58mm (I do believe if it was f/1.2 all the bitching about it would not exist), and just a continual inattention and disregard to what users are asking for (include customer service, products and admitting failures in that one.) Nikon is due for another hit (like the D90 with video, D700, D800, 14-24mm lens) but it seems they continue to be absent minded and forgetting multiple ingredients for consumers to gobble one up.

I'm pulling for Nikon and hope they astound us with something, but with their recent record keeps the glass half empty for me at the moment.

What they really need is a 16mp D4 sensor in a small body if they really wanted to sell cameras, but that won't happen.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Nikon is loosing ground badly ....
    Unfortunately, one has to agree with many of your thought, but they probably belong in a different thread.

Let's hope that the D750 will be one of those products that astound us. Let's hope they really did their best, and put the best parts in it, as they did with the D800 - except for the left focus points :(( The D800 killed the D3X, but Nikon did it anyway.
    But if all we get this time is some crippled and "calculated" D750, carefully positioned below X and above Y, it'll just disappoint existing Nikon users and not attract any new ones.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    It is my full belief anything (bodies/lenses) above the $2,000 mark you are only catering to existing customers and the expectation of "gaining" new customers is very low.
    •Formerly TTJ•
    Lets keep the topic on the D750, not why you think Nikon is failing as a company.
    It's ironic to me that very recently Nikon has had a 'surprise' release that I think has generally been accepted as a home run and then one that was received as a kind of clunker. That is the D810 and the Df. I know many people love their Df's, but I think industry wide I think we were mostly expecting more and the implementation of the retro design within the framework of a modern digital camera was just a little off center. Nothing a Df2 couldn't fix, but they didn't quite get the market right and they didn't price it right either.

Now, on the D750, it seems there is not much wiggle room for them to not live up to customer expectations. It would seem price is not necessarily a huge factor amongst the enthusiast and pro crowd (which is this camera's market).

People want the D750 to be built very strong, they want it to have the most advanced AF system available, they want it to shoot fast, and they don't want it crippled (1/8000th + 1/250th sync please). It really needs to be a refined pro quality product to live up to the D700 standards but include the guts of the more advanced sensors available. From my perspective, it's a pretty simple formula to make the end user happy and I'm one to think if I'm Nikon, I'm pricing this on the higher end and pushing it towards a D810 but I'm also focusing on delivering the bacon and bringing the consumer all those features they love about the D810 sans that fat 36Mp sensor and moderate 5fps frame rate.

Am I right?
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    I don't see anything wrong with Nikon making different bodies - D4s - D810 - D610. Not everyone needs metal bodies. Also nothing wrong if Nikon decided to make a 25MP version of the D810 with faster frame rate.

From what we know now D750 could be something similar to D610 body with a different focus - maybe faster frame rate and/or better AF and tilt LCD - bring it on. It is not something I need. But it sounds like a nice camera.
    edited August 2014
    For those saying the D750 is just a D610 replacement, at first I thought so as well. I took a moment and thought of a few things. First Nikon is using the name D7xx for a reason, because it is a successor to a high performance camera, not an entry level, cheap, consumer FX body. I also fail to understand why people think a significantly higher priced D750 (rumored $2500 USD), would come in as the new entry level body, when the existing entry level consumer body is significantly cheaper. That would be a $600 price hike on the entry level body, just to add a flippy screen. I've seen a lot of D600/D610s in the wild, raising the price might put a stop to that. Nikon is trying to drive more users into higher profit margin ($1899+) FX bodies/lenses, not drive them away.

What I think we are seeing, with the D750, is Nikon trying to duplicate the DX line in FX form. Why? There are many users holding onto older (4-6 year old bodies, aka D300/D300s/D700) that feel there is nothing for them to move to, because they don't think cameras like the D610 or D810 are right for them. In some ways this is a logical step, to bring balance to the FX lineup.

DX Normal:
    1. D3300 - Entry level --> Basic starter DSLR
    2. D5300 - Mid-range, entry level controls --> Basic starter camera. Flippy screen and advanced video controls are the selling points over the D3300.
    3. D7100 - Advanced amateur controls and menus --> Jack of all trades, well balanced price and specs.
    *4. D400?/D9300? - Semi Pro --> D300s replacement. Missing in action, or never coming.

Proposed Normal FX range:
    1. D610 Entry level, advanced amateur controls --> Basic, starter FX. Jack of all trades, master of none.
    *2. D750 Mid-range, pro style controls --> Amateur sports/birding/action. Well balanced specs and price.
    3. D810 Semi-pro - pro style controls --> Pro landscape/portrait/still life camera with a hint of speed. Resolution is the reason to buy this camera.
    4. D4s Pro - pro controls --> Fast pro journalist/sports/super rich amateur

Odd balls... as of summer 2014:
    5. D3x - Pro - pro controls -> Landscape/portrait camera, not sure why this is still available, the D800/D800E/D810 totally killed the market for it, unless you need the battery life of the EN-EL4a. Replacement is either missing in action or not coming.
    6. Df - Niche retro - advanced amateur controls --> For people who enjoy classic style, a high performance sensor and don't care too much about the price to spec sheet balance. I don't expect a replacement to come, ever. If you want it get it now.

*Rumored cameras.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    I don't see anything wrong with Nikon making different bodies - D4s - D810 - D610. Not everyone needs metal bodies.
    I think in this market segment, they do. The D800 can be labelled as a studio camera. Now it usually doesn't rain in a studio unless someone sets off the sprinklers, so why the weather sealing? Marketing? That, surely, and because of its other typical field of use: landscape. So if someone makes an action camera, they surely would make sure it's built tough, right?

Bad thing is, with Nikon, you cannot be sure... :-D
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @kenadams: Think of automakers. They make several versions of the same car - cheap, normal and sports version. Basic car is the same but you swap a few parts.

I have a feeling that the DX market is going down in volume and in margins for Nikon. If they want to keep margins up they need do move more sales to FX. Why not have 3 pro bodies with 16, 24 and 36 MP sensors - different focus - low light fast - middle of the road - resolution but slow? The same could be done with a D810 body and a D610 body. Add a mirror less version or a pocket version. Many cameras but smaller parts bin.
    @manhattanboy If Nikon lowers the price too much they will lose money on the bodies, that is not good for business either. Sony tried the same thing a number of years ago with the A850 (first sub $2500 full frame body, which was made before full frame bodies started going more mainstream) and the imaging division took a big hit as a result. I don't think Nikon can afford to do that at this point.
    +1 PB_PM
    If Nikon implemented manhattanboy's price points they would lose money. Sure there would be a small spike in sales but for the long run, you can't have all your models be priced to lose money.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    +1 PB_PM

I agree from the little we do know, it just doesn't make sense to release this in some kind of prosumer/consumer body. The model number suggests an advancement to the D700, a fine "probuild" camera. The price speaks to something higher end than the D600/610 as well. Flippy screen aside, there's no reason IMO to believe this will be a consumer oriented camera body. I wonder when we'll really find out? :)

What I think we are seeing, with the D750, is Nikon trying to duplicate the DX line in FX form. Why? There are many users holding onto older (4-6 year old bodies, aka D300/D300s/D700) that feel there is nothing for them to move to, because they don't think cameras like the D610 or D810 are right for them. In some ways this is a logical step, to bring balance to the FX lineup.

DX Normal:
    1. D3300 - Entry level --> Basic starter DSLR
    2. D5300 - Mid-range, entry level controls --> Basic starter camera. Flippy screen and advanced video controls are the selling points over the D3300.
    3. D7100 - Advanced amateur controls and menus --> Jack of all trades, well balanced price and specs.
    *4. D400?/D9300? - Semi Pro --> D300s replacement. Missing in action, or never coming.

Proposed Normal FX range:
    1. D610 Entry level, advanced amateur controls --> Basic, starter FX. Jack of all trades, master of none.
    *2. D750 Mid-range, pro style controls --> Amateur sports/birding/action. Well balanced specs and price.
    3. D810 Semi-pro - pro style controls --> Pro landscape/portrait/still life camera with a hint of speed. Resolution is the reason to buy this camera.
    4. D4s Pro - pro controls --> Fast pro journalist/sports/super rich amateur
    I think that is a good logical argument and I agree that Nikon will move to the cheap consumer, consumer, advanced consumer, prosumer, Landscape/high mp pro, and sports Pro line up in a "long view." Looking at features, I see the D750 becoming the D5xxx series counterpart, the D6xx series dropped or being moved even lower down the line, and a future (maybe 4-5 years away) D5xx series being the cheap consumer.

The reason I say this is because the D610 is really the D7100 (at it's release) counterpart in features. Logic would say that you would Mirror the line names with features, not separate them. 6xx was always an oddball number so maybe it serves as a "gap" fill for a few years. Then a new D7xxx DX system would mirror the D750. Maybe a DX 6xxx system will be released that is cheaper and D5xxx series ends or becomes the bottom. Nikon historically has done this with their naming - it never has been a "whim." Consider we have a 4xx, 5xx, 9xx naming spots left. 400 & 900 they won't use, but the 5xx lines up quite well. Sad part it that I do believe this is the start of a DX DSLR (in it's current form) becoming extinct and probably moving towards a mirrorless format. (4-8 year view.)
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

If it is an 'action camera' and goes for multiple frame shooting, it should have a largish buffer, at least I would think so. Dual SDHC cards with very fast read/write speeds should work well enough, although I do understand the desire for compact flash.

I want the foldout screen in a topnotch body. I use a D5200 along side my D7100 for so many reasons. It's terrific for shooting low or high angles and for shooting video - something many in this forum many will scoff at, but it can be a pretty good video camera.

It was a pity that Nikon chose to put the D600 in a metal body and then cripple it by taking out the video component and doll it up and make it a Df. What makes that really, really odd is that the technology was _subtracted_ from the camera rather than added to it. Goofy, just goofy - a slappy marketing ploy that worked for a narrow audience willing to be led in a such a parade.

It will be interesting to see what features the camera will have and how it will fit into the Nikon FX family.

Even more interesting to see how Nikon's stock performance holds over the next few years.

I would have never thought Kodak would have fallen so far so fast.

My best,

Mike
    Just for giggles, I went to the B&H web site and ran a search for Nikon D750. Found nothing. Sent customer service a note asking when they will start taking preorders and when would they have a price. Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting the E-Mail Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

I am sorry, but I do not have any information on when/ if B&H will carry the rumored D750.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thank you for choosing B&H.
    =====================================
    This is what I expected for a reply.

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I have been thinking about Nikon taking the video out of the DF and it kind of makes sense to me.

Consider that video is becoming a bigger and bigger deal in DSLRs. As the technology advances, certain costs will go up and it will start to significantly influence camera design. Eventually, users will start complaining. I think that Nikon may be thinking ahead to this day. Especially given the emphasis that they seem to have put on video on the D810.

I am not sure if I believe myself yet, but I find this reasoning intriguing.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member

Nikon should really push down prices and settle their FF line as follows:
    $1K for the 610, $2K for the 750, $3K for the 810, $4K for the D4S
    It is clear in their steps and pricing. 610- budget FF, 750- intermediate FF, 810-advanced FF, D4S-pro FF.

They should do the same for the DX lines as well:
    $300 for 3K series, $600 for 5K series, $900 for 7K series, and $1.2K for 9K (D300/400) series
    3K is budget, 5K is intermediate, 7K is advanced, and 9K (D400) is pro.
    I actually agree with you Manhattanboy, though I think that this is five years out.

The biggest issue is sensors and their prices. 20 years ago, sensors (known then as film) were interchangeable and anybody could put whatever sensor they wanted into any camera they wanted, as long as the format matched.

I don't think that digital sensors are any different than film in this regard, except that the technology is new and has not had an opportunity to mature. In ten years, Nikon will have a DSLR for less than 500 bucks with essentially the same sensor as their top end pro camera.

Then it will be about the cameras and lenses. Back to the 20th century......