Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    To clarify the above post I should very clearly state: Either it is spectacular in the video area or forget it! For us that is. Nikon is very aware that there is a pretty big segment of users that will NOT switch back and forth between Nikon and Canon! I think regardless of how learned you are you at some point acquire a loyalty that makes you a Nikon Owner or a Canon Owner. First there is the lenses, etc., It is easier to sell many of us on a new Fuji or whatever.......than it is to switch over to say Canon. And I am aware that this makes little sense but it is true! I have spent enough time at race tacks to now that brand loyalty is a factor. But make it a Nikon without video??? I'll start buying Canons since they have proven they understand this new market reality. I shoot MOSTLY stills! But when I shoot video it better be good or forget it. I have D3200 video that I took that impressed me a lot! But this new D750 better shine in that department or it is the OPPOSITE of an ACTION camera. Absolutely must have video on an action camera! I do a lot of slide sound shows. I have seen many photo sequences but UNTIL they become a motion picture to the eye and the brain the action element is much harder to convey. I am certain it cost money to take video out of the Nikon Df.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    It'll be quite a surprise, I guess, if the D750 video is much different from D810 video.
    IMO, the biggest imaginable boost would be some 120 fps mode in 1280 x 720.
    Bottom line, you'll get video, @DaveyJ.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Yeah, maybe you could define for us what "spectacular" video is. The D810 is going to run toe to toe quite well with the Canon 5DM3 with video, some things may be better, others may be lacking but all told it's going to hang very well.

Does that mean people will ditch their 5D3's for the 810? Mostly no. People don't switch bodies they're comfortable with and also a legion of expensive glass to move to a new body. Nikon would either need to revolutionize the video market somehow or make the camera cost half as much. Neither are practical at all. Nikon's goal is likely simply to keep pace and keep the market share they do have and not give a prospective brand changer to not come to Nikon based on any lack of video features.

I'm sure the D750's video spec's will be roughly on par with the D810. Features in video in the body are such a small aspect of making the system truly exceptional in the video department. People don't create beautiful pictures or videos off a spec sheet. Last I checked there were gorgeous and fantastic videos being generated with cameras prior to the DSLR bodies and the 5D2 (inferior video by todays standards) were used professionally and making compelling and moving imagery.

What will make the D750 a success will be a high quality sensor with lots of dynamic range, good ISO performance, and shoot reliability at 8fps for stills with a nice fat buffer. Yes, an action camera for stills, video is important but we're not all around here sharing our videos created on the Dxxxx camera's, stills for DSLR's still run the game by quite a big margin. It's just the way it is.....
  • jshirleyjshirley Posts: 16Member
    edited August 2014
    I use the flash on my D600 for a lot of my pics. And I have a SB 700 (for when I need it). But for general purposes and especially ease of use in low light situations around the house, I love having the built in flash option. I know it has its limitations, but it is always readily available.
    Post edited by jshirley on
    Nikon D600, D7000, 50 1.4G, 85 1.4G, 105 2,8G, 24-70 2.8G, 55-200dx, 35 1.8DX, 12-24DX, 55 2.8 Micro.
    ... I love having the built in flash option ...
    Same here, using the D300. Even D810 has built-in flash, so I hope D750 will, too.
    D300, J1
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    The D750 seems to aimed at people "upgrading" from DX they will be used a built in flash so yes expect a built in flash
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    What surprises me about the discussion is that with the exception of a couple references nobody is comparing the 750 to the D4s. The D4/D4s are the ultimate cameras for shooting moving objects so it seems to me that the benchmark should be the D4s, not the 810. I want a camera that is smaller and lighter than my D4 that will competently handle BIF, motor sports, aircraft, athletics or any other movement venue and will be an excellent general use camera as well. For a lot of the shooting I do, a tripod is a handicap not a asset. So pardon me but I don't want 90% of an 810, I want 90% of a 4s.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    When it arrives and we know what is has or doesn't have we can all compare the D750 to the D4s or to the D5300. Is it an FX D5300 or is it a mini-D4s? Time will tell. My speculation: when you put the battery grip on it so you have the D4s body configuration the D750 will be better than an D4s because it will have 24mp with the exception of high speed uses (D4s will have more fps and better ISO above about 3200).
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    the D750 will be better than an D4s because it will have 24mp with the exception of high speed uses (D4s will have more fps and better ISO above about 3200).
    I suspect the D750 will not have all the button and dials on the D4s

What surprises me about the discussion is that with the exception of a couple references nobody is comparing the 750 to the D4s. The D4/D4s are the ultimate cameras for shooting moving objects so it seems to me that the benchmark should be the D4s, not the 810. I want a camera that is smaller and lighter than my D4 that will competently handle BIF, motor sports, aircraft, athletics or any other movement venue and will be an excellent general use camera as well. For a lot of the shooting I do, a tripod is a handicap not a asset. So pardon me but I don't want 90% of an 810, I want 90% of a 4s.
    That's because it's going to be priced between two other FX cameras and the model number suggests "better than a D610, not quite a D810, and it's really a D700 replacement. D4s is a $6000 body so this camera at $2,500+/- is not going to compete against a D4s. What it will do is probably be the next closest thing when looking at certain aspects (speed) but there's no way this camera will give ISO performance to match, top speed, battery life, etc etc.

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited August 2014
    When it arrives and we know what is has or doesn't have we can all compare the D750 to the D4s or to the D5300. Is it an FX D5300 or is it a mini-D4s? Time will tell. My speculation: when you put the battery grip on it so you have the D4s body configuration the D750 will be better than an D4s because it will have 24mp with the exception of high speed uses (D4s will have more fps and better ISO above about 3200).
    This is why I think my D800 is better than a D4s. I started out thinking I was going to buy a D4 a year ago (and the holy trinity) and ended up with a D800 and mostly primes.

Of course, if there was a D4x with 36 megapixels, that would have been my camera.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    'Action camera' - what a delightfully vague term! People can (and are) allocating their own interpretation of 'action camera' to it but some are way wide of the mark I feel. Who would call a D5300 (one wheel) camera an action camera? By the time you've dived into menus and pressed buttons while turning wheels, the action has gone! That leads me to think that either it will have MINIMUM of the same layout of the D7100/D610 (two wheels) or Nikon have lost the plot by calling it an action camera. I HOPE it will have as much of the D800 as poss with the great D600/D610 sensor. I'm looking forward to it and really hope I am not disappointed like I was with the D610 when I handled it.

Always learning.
    My prediction is it will be a D810 with 24mp, 7fps and a D700ish feel.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I'm curious- why didn't Nikon announce the D810 and D750 together?

Nikon announced the D300 with the D3. That was a good day...

When was the last time Nikon announced 2 cameras together?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I too hope it'll be a D810 with the D610's sensor and shoot at 8fps but my fear is that there will be a few more D610D7100 elements to the camera (not that it's a bad thing) that will keep it from being that "perfect" camera. It's the $2500-$2600 rumored price that screws this up frankly.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited August 2014
    WestEndBoy and JonMcGuffin: That would be a great camera and I think ISO will go to 12,800 in the D750. About one stop Improved high ISO over the D600/D800 era body may be due to a new 24mp sensor (like the D810 has a new improved 36mp sensor) or may be due to different jpg processing by the Expeed 4 processor. Price point, like all other specifications are only rumors at this time. The released product might have a different price just as it might have different specifications. Personally, I think it will use the prosumer layout of the D610 rather than the pro layout of the D810. Why? Because of the rumor it will be lightweight. The D800/D810 body is not lightweight.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 @Fritz. With the emphasis on action pictures that should be the focus of this new model. That would fit my needs so long it has a high quality sensor with lots of dynamic range,
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    'Action camera' - what a delightfully vague term! People can (and are) allocating their own interpretation of 'action camera' ....That leads me to think that either it will have MINIMUM of the same layout of the D7100/D610 (two wheels) or Nikon have lost the plot by calling it an action camera. I HOPE it will have as much of the D800 as poss with the great D600/D610 sensor. I'm looking forward to it and really hope I am not disappointed like I was with the D610 when I handled it.
    Agree they won't base the operations on the D5300 series due to the menus. I also expect the layout to be similar to the D7100/D610 with both command and sub-command dials. That is a given for an "action camera".

@WestEndBoy said:
    My prediction is it will be a D810 with 24mp, 7fps and a D700ish feel.

The Admin is saying 8 fps, not 7. Coming back to what I have been saying for weeks, I hope it has a bigger body than the D7100 & D600...so agree with your D700 size.

@donaldeJose said:
    That would be a great camera and I think ISO will go to 12,800 in the D750. About one stop Improved high ISO over the D600/D800 era body may be due to a new 24mp sensor (like the D810 has a new improved 36mp sensor) or may be due to different jpg processing by the Expeed 4 processor. Price point, like all other specifications are only rumors at this time. The released product might have a different price just as it might have different specifications. Personally, I think it will use the prosumer layout of the D610 rather than the pro layout of the D810.

Like your ISO estimate of 12,800. I really wanted the larger body and the AF button on the rear but your point about the price is dead on. We are just asking too much and it's going to be in the D610/D7100 size body. It would be so cool if they could bring the pro layout from the D810 into the D750. Not sure how they can claim light weight using a larger body than the D7100/D610. You sold me on that point of price vs body size. Darn logic prevails.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I don't know how the cost of the 24MP sensor compares to the 36MP. I know there are yields to be considered that make the price disproportionate, and so I wonder REALLY how much just changing the sensor and anything associated would reduce the price of a D810?
    Always learning.
    Not sure how they can claim light weight using a larger body than the D7100/D610.
    Different (lighter) materials. We've seen such stories here on NR, and are some carbon fibre reinforced thermoplastics not used already in the D5300?
    New material
    D5300
    D300, J1
    1 10-30, 30-110
    WestEndBoy and JonMcGuffin: That would be a great camera and I think ISO will go to 12,800 in the D750. About one stop Improved high ISO over the D600/D800 era body may be due to a new 24mp sensor (like the D810 has a new improved 36mp sensor) or may be due to different jpg processing by the Expeed 4 processor. Price point, like all other specifications are only rumors at this time. The released product might have a different price just as it might have different specifications. Personally, I think it will use the prosumer layout of the D610 rather than the pro layout of the D810. Why? Because of the rumor it will be lightweight. The D800/D810 body is not lightweight.
    Sure it is lightweight. When I take the MB-D12 off with its attached RRS L-Clamp, it feels as light as a feather.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    My buddy told me 8fps, but 9fps with a grip.
    Yea everybody seems to have that "buddy" ;).
    Not sure how they can claim light weight using a larger body than the D7100/D610.
    Different (lighter) materials. We've seen such stories here on NR, and are some carbon fibre reinforced thermoplastics not used already in the D5300?
    New material
    D5300
    I had not thought about the use of Carbon Fiber for the body because of cost. But that would be a great option. I did not read NRF back when this was posted so thank you for the link. Totally forgot the D5300 was made of a composite carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastic. That would certainly fit the lighter body. Now if they would only make the D750 body larger than the D7100 & D610 I would be extremely happy.

@ironheart said: My buddy told me 8fps, but 9fps with a grip.
    A lot of sports photographers and individuals shooting BIF will love the 8 fps and if they went to 9 fps with the battery grip that should really bring a lot of excitement.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Yea everybody seems to have that "buddy" ;).
    I guarantee my buddy is not the same as yours

;)