Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• anoano Posts: 27Member
    edited September 2014
    Not sure, what the big deal is on the fps, most of all for those of you who stated themselves not to go beyond 1fps in personal shooting style. There's a difference between 5fps and 10 fps, or between 3 and 5, but 6.5 and 8? Not so much. How about we wait and see...
    Try to shoot the arrival of a kingfisher on his perch, you will see that 2 more pictures per second is really precious ...
    Post edited by ano on
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    1.5 more pictures, not 2, while we're splitting hairs...

Can you actually show me a case where 1.5fps more over 6.5fps would have saved the day? I'm asking out of interest!
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    I totally agree with many others here. 6.5 fps would be bad news.
    D610 offers 6 fps, so if D750 is really 6.5 fps then quit calling it an "action camera". At least, the price would drop quickly because of disappointing sales figures.

The D810 excels at what it does.
    Why would Nikon build a "fast" body that does not excel at what it does?

I was hoping for a 8 fps D9300 DX at $1500-$2000, and with the D750 I was so much ready to pay MORE and get MORE than I originally was aiming for. But I'm not paying over my budget and still not get the features I wan.
    But who knows? Maybe those 6.5 fps mentioned are just wrong. I don't think it makes sense for Nikon to NOT compete with the upcoming 7DII, so it could also mean that the D9300 is coming afterall. (Well, wrong thread ...)
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • anoano Posts: 27Member
    edited September 2014
    1.5 more pictures, not 2, while we're splitting hairs...

Can you actually show me a case where 1.5fps more over 6.5fps would have saved the day? I'm asking out of interest!
    it seems not be very difficult to understand that with mors fps you have more chance to get the good posture of wings etc ... that is not a shoot in studio where you can make as try as you want, you have to wait several hours to have a little chance that your subject come on his favorite perch, so if you miss the good posture of wings in your photo burst, all is lost ... the rate of waste in this type of shoots is quite high ...

if you dont need 8 or more fps in your pratice of photo, be sure that those who need it, knows why ...
    Post edited by ano on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    My guess - Yes it will have 8 fps but you will need a battery pack
    The names Nikon's marking department give are just that, names
    the D800 is meant to be a studio camera yet they give it weatherproofing
    the Df is meant for pure photography and nobody can agree what pure photography is
    maybe the D750 is toy camera for Action Man
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    edited September 2014
    If the FPS has been limited to either save money or protect D4 sales I'm not sure they would increase it with a battery pack.

To me its looking like its really the AF upgrade that's going to be the big selling point of the camera, akin to the modern D5xxx line relative to the D3xxx line.

Perhaps as much a response to the A7's as anything else, if AF is your big advantage over mirrorless then it makes sense to put your best AF in your smallest body. It gives another area such a camera would have a clear advantage over the 6D as well ontop of viewfinder, build, lower ISO IQ, memory cards etc.

Personally I would say Nikon should put the D800 sensor in a D600 sized body as well.
    Post edited by moreorless on
    edited September 2014
    two things seem to affect fps

1 The speed the mirror goes up and down. In general, The faster things go, the more power they need, hence the D700 needed a battery pack to get the max fps

2 The speed of processing the image. A step forward should be possible, with expeed 4 and limiting the the mp to 24
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    If the FPS has been limited to either save money or protect D4 sales I'm not sure they would increase it with a battery pack.

To me its looking like its really the AF upgrade that's going to be the big selling point of the camera, akin to the modern D5xxx line relative to the D3xxx line.

Perhaps as much a response to the A7's as anything else, if AF is your big advantage over mirrorless then it makes sense to put your best AF in your smallest body. It gives another area such a camera would have a clear advantage over the 6D as well ontop of viewfinder, build, lower ISO IQ, memory cards etc.

Personally I would say Nikon should put the D800 sensor in a D600 sized body as well.
    The camera is supposed to have 8 fps.

I agree that the major upgrade will be the 3500FX module.

Canon crippled the 6D autofocus to protect 5DM3 sales. There is still a big difference between the 6D and a newly released 750 or 610, and that is PRICE. The 6D for body alone is very close to the magical $1000 mark, with a body only going for ~$1300 new and $1K refurbished.
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    two things seem to affect fps

1 The speed the mirror goes up and down. In general, The faster things go, the more power they need, hence the D700 needed a battery pack to get the max fps

2 The speed of processing the image. A step forward should be possible, with expeed 4 and limiting the the mp to 24
    You need to add about 500 more things to that. Stored power to the sensor to turn it on and off, parts that can handle the power jolts alone are more robust, shutter mechanism that can fly that fast, - there is a whole hell of a lot of things that have to come together. I highly doubt they will do the Sony way and just open the curtain and just turn on the sensor (which causes loss of Continuous AF.)

I said it before, and I'll say it again, this is basically a D600/610 replacement with a few upgrades.

And I still believe what the Video is in the system will make or break it. People who do video do not like Nikon's coding/lack of options in the files (types, encoding, etc.) This would be a good price point for a video/back-up system for pros.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Of course we're going to wait and see, but in my opinion, you can't reference a camera as being an action camera in this marketplace and have it only shoot 6.5fps. The competitive offerings will eat you alive.

I'm not saying you can't use a 6.5fps camera to capture action. You certainly can. I'm using the competitive arena to make that statement. The D610 shoots at 6.5fps.

That's ok, this camera will easily shoot at 7/8 fps and it's not going to have a XQD card as rumored as well. That's just silly. It's a no loss camera for me, if this D750 comes out flat (like the Df did for many) I simply buy a D810 and am happy as a clam (yes, even at 5fps ).

Jon
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited September 2014
    Of course we're going to wait and see, but in my opinion, you can't reference a camera as being an action camera in this marketplace and have it only shoot 6.5fps. The competitive offerings will eat you alive.

From my perspective, you hit the nail on the head -you can't call it an action camera at6ps.

You said: I'm not saying you can't use a 6.5fps camera to capture action. You certainly can. I'm using the competitive arena to make that statement. The D610 shoots at 6.5fps.

Agree with you Jon. The D300 did a nice job with BIF and the D7100 gives me good BIF but not as many keepers with wings in the right position.

Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    IMHO they don't need to discontinue the D610, just reduce the price. The AF is OK for a lot of folks, but at the current price it's hopeless. The 6D price is where the D610 should be. If they made it cheap enough, I may even get one myself! $1000 new would do it... :P
    Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    My D600 is a great camera; with some minor limitations (focus point spread). Those minor limitations do make it unsuited for certain types of shooting (compositions like PitchBlack uses). Likewise, a D4s is a great camera; with some minor limitations (16 not 36 mp for instance) which makes it unsuited for certain type of shooting (landscapes or polo shots intended to be enlarged to murals). The D750 is likely to be the same: a great camera with some minor limitations. We will have to select the best tool for the job at hand and not expect a single tool to be the best tool for all jobs. When it arrives we will see its limitations for certain uses and its excellence for other uses. Then we must select the best tool for the job (that we can afford) and learn to work around any weaknesses.
    edited September 2014

And I still believe what the Video is in the system will make or break it.
    I don't do any video but am correct, in assuming, For videographers, wanting an "action" camera , fps is not too important

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    IMHO they don't need to discontinue the D610, just reduce the price. The AF is OK for a lot of folks, but at the current price it's hopeless. The 6D price is where the D610 should be. If they made it cheap enough, I may even get one myself! $1000 new would do it... :P
    I'm not sure I get this.
    Nikon D610 @ B&H: $1,896.95
    Canon 6D @ B&H: $1,899.00

They're not going to discontinue the D610. It's now the camera it always should have been before the dust debacle. It's an incredible camera for $1,900.00.

The D810 is at $3300. That's a HUGE gap between the two FF Nikon bodies. The more I look at this, the more it makes perfect sense to me the true D700 replacement will come out and fall right in the middle of this lineup price wise. $2600+/-.

Common sense says it'll give us *most* of the D810 guts and will probably jam it into a semi-pro body. They'll cripple it just enough in a few place here and there to make people still want to pony up a few extra bucks for the D810 but if they don't, then they'll be happy at the D750. If it's true value they're looking for, the D610 is there camera. This is just the way it makes most financial sense for Nikon to move forward so I think it'll play out just like that.

And I still believe what the Video is in the system will make or break it.
    I don't do any video but am correct, in assuming, For videographers, wanting an "action" camera , fps is not too important

If Nikon were really smart, they'd go ahead and develop a body that targeted videographers exclusively. That means a DSLR but a completely different shape and way of working with it. Jam it with all the best video features and abilities (see GH4) and then also let it take good stills. Make it a 12Mp still camera and a 4K video camera. They could develop a small line of "cinema" lenses for it in F-mount too. Just work on the AF system a bit, then come out with some accessories that support this body too.

All of this and they could have sold quite a few. They really missed the boat on this one.

Jon

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

I'm not sure I get this.
    Nikon D610 @ B&H: $1,896.95
    Canon 6D @ B&H: $1,899.00
    http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/04039/Canon-EOS-6D-price.html
    We estimate a street price of $1479.99 After Rebate on this item brand new from an authorized dealer with full Canon USA Warranty and free shipping.
    I have seen better deals for the 6D when the retailers do double dips on the rebates. About $1300 new is the cheapest I've ever seen and refurbs are cheaper.

If anyone is buying at the prices Jon posted above, they are being taken to the cleaners. Those Canon prices are okay for a camera plus lens combo, but terrible for a camera alone.
    @Manhattanboy - Thanks for the link and info. I (obviously) didn't do that kind of homework. 6D @ $1300+/- is really a great deal as well.

Let's face it, either way, you can't get around the great value that the Canikon low end FF cameras provide. Good times to be a photographer from the gear perspective for sure.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    There's a difference between 5fps and 10 fps, or between 3 and 5, but 6.5 and 8? Not so much. How about we wait and see...
    I cannot speak for the difference between 5-10, but there is a noticeable difference between 6 and 8FPS. Pick up a D300, fire it stand alone. 6FPS. Add the battery grip and the right batteries and you get 8FPS. You can tell that 8FPS is much faster.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    If there were not much of a different or it didn't matter, photographers wouldn't care. I'll be the first to say that we should all work hard to master the timing to get the shot with one click, but at the same time, a motor drive can be of great use in many forms of photography - not just "action" photography. Wedding photographers love them for the ability to capture the moment that occurs just after the moment.

Again, not that 6.5 fps is somehow terrible. But all things considered in a modern day DSLR that is supposed to be an upgrade over the D700, this camera really should be shooting at 7/8fps. Heck, the D610 with it's old processor can handle 6.5, the new processor and same 24Mp sensor should easily be able to rip off 7.5 or 8.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

They're not going to discontinue the D610. It's now the camera it always should have been before the dust debacle. It's an incredible camera for $1,900.00.

The D810 is at $3300. That's a HUGE gap between the two FF Nikon bodies. The more I look at this, the more it makes perfect sense to me the true D700 replacement will come out and fall right in the middle of this lineup price wise. $2600+/-.

Common sense says it'll give us *most* of the D810 guts and will probably jam it into a semi-pro body. They'll cripple it just enough in a few place here and there to make people still want to pony up a few extra bucks for the D810 but if they don't, then they'll be happy at the D750. If it's true value they're looking for, the D610 is there camera. This is just the way it makes most financial sense for Nikon to move forward so I think it'll play out just like that.
    Totally agree Jon - the D610 remains in the line and is the entry level FF DSLR while the D750 is the bridge for "action" photographers and those that can't afford the D810 or don't need the D810 feature set.

Ever since the D750 post hit the main blog I never could understand why some were calling the D750 a replacement for the D610. The D610 price point is good and it's a good camera.

Assuming the price is $2500 and there are no huge deficiencies, this is going to be an excellent "bridge" camera between the entry level D610 and the pro D810.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited September 2014
    Guys, the D750 is going to shoot at 7.0 frames per second.

Consider the likely limiting factors:

Battery power (important)
    Autofocus (not important, the auto-focus is the same as the D4s)
    Processer speed (important)
    Other limiting factors (can be limiting factors, but easier to design around)

Let's assume that the mechanism has a same power requirement as a D810 and that the D750 takes a battery pack similar to the MB-D12. The D810 is limited to 7 fps in its fastest mode, which is DX with the MB-D12. If this is the case, then we are talking 7 fps.

Let's assume that Nikon has upgraded the power and the limiting factor is processor speed. Consider a D810 can shoot at 5 frames per second at 36 megapixels. Assuming that the D750 is a 24 megapixel camera with the same Expeed 4 processor as the D810/D4s, then 5 * 36 / 24 = 7.5 frames per second. Using the same math to using the D4s as a basis, we get 7.33 frames per second, but the limiting factor with the D4s is likely mechanical or autofocus performance.

I doubt that Nikon would significantly upgrade the power supply just to get an extra half frame per second. They will want to realize volume efficiencies here. Therefore, I predict that power will be the limiting factor and we get 7 frames per second.

However, if I am wrong, then it will be 7.5 frames per second as the Expeed 4 processor will be the limiting factor.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Processor speed is irrelevant, if the RAM and the data-channels are not fast and/or big enough to save data away.

Also, I just learnt the D810 can use EN-EL18 batteries which are the same as for D4s - so power supply is not a limiting factor - or at least, not more limiting than in D4s. As well, if that logic would work out you just need to plug in 110 Volts and see if a speed increase happens... :o

Doing the reverse math means 11fps × 16.2 MP[D4s] / 24 MP = 7.5 fps. Everrybody wailing arround "too slow" could just come up with some realistic ideas how he would make it faster. And next, answer if Nikon would

a) give up this advantage if it's doable
    b) would sell a camera in the price gap between D610 (!) and D810 to compete with D4s at app. double the price?
    D4s us a low light, max frame rate shooter for the working day-to-day pro. A D750 with a flippy screen, a d610-like build. And doesn't come with a grip, won't shoot as long on a charge, etc is not going to appeal to the d4s crowd. Heck, the D810 is half the price and it could be argued it's better.

Nikon will giveth and taketh away like the do so often with these products.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    My D600 is a great camera; with some minor limitations (focus point spread). Those minor limitations do make it unsuited for certain types of shooting (compositions like PitchBlack uses). Likewise, a D4s is a great camera; with some minor limitations (16 not 36 mp for instance) which makes it unsuited for certain type of shooting (landscapes or polo shots intended to be enlarged to murals). The D750 is likely to be the same: a great camera with some minor limitations. We will have to select the best tool for the job at hand and not expect a single tool to be the best tool for all jobs. When it arrives we will see its limitations for certain uses and its excellence for other uses. Then we must select the best tool for the job (that we can afford) and learn to work around any weaknesses.
    I totally agree Donald, which is what I did when I chose the D7100 over the D610 - I considered the price hike (double at the time) and the limited AF point spread versus the improvement in low light of the D7100. I use the spread of AF points a lot - but I could do without them if the price is right as it would alter the balance of my thinking in favour of the D610.

I got fuddled converting to $ in my earlier post, but last time I looked ( haven't looked recently) in the UK, the 6D was a couple of hundred cheaper than the D610 - and that is for a camera that is more highly acclaimed in reviews and without problems associated with it. The D610 may be dropping now.
    Always learning.