Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    FX: D6xx - D7xx - D8xx
    DX: D3xxx - D5xxx - D7xxx

I see nothing wrong here. Maybe something is missing?

All cameras seems to deliver very good image quality.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2014
    This appears to be a camera designed "by committee" with a little bit of this and a little bit of that
    Which is exactly what most photographers want

Very few people, just shoot sports , just shoot wildlife, just shoot landscapes, just shoot portraits, just do street photography, just do photojournalism, just do weddings, just work in the studio. They want to a a little bit of everything. That is why the SLR virtually killed off the view camera, the TLR and rangefinder camera. The the great thing about the Nikon F; was it was equally at home in the studio or the sports field, as it was in Vietnam

Those hoping for D4s at half the price will be disappointed but for people who cannot quite afford a D810, it seems an excellent choice
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    If indeed this is the replacement for the 700 then perhaps Nikon has succeeded. If they were looking for a pro/am style of camera that would be an excellent general purpose camera and an appropriate step down from the D4s and the 810, then perhaps this is it. It certainly sounds like the roll the 700 has filled so well. I have a 610, it lives in my truck and is always with me and I lately find myself carrying it in preference to my D4. It is certainly nice to have a camera that does 11fps when you need 11fps but for most of what I now shoot, 5fps is doable and there is certainly a trade-off in terms of bulk and weight. So depending on what the rest of the specifications will be, I guess I'll be in the purchase line.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited September 2014

Those hoping for D4s at half the price will be disappointed but for people who cannot quite afford a D810, it seems an excellent choice
    Yes that is exactly how I see it too. I wanted a "bridge" DSLR and that appears to be what they are delivering. There maybe a few short comings but that is typical of any DSLR...there are always comprises for the buyers.

There are still some missing pieces - can't wait for the announcement and photos of the camera.

@Fritz said: So depending on what the rest of the specifications will be, I guess I'll be in the purchase line.
    +1 on that last comment.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Well, so we went from 5.5 fps in the d600 to 6 fps in the d610 to 6.5 fps in the D750.

It does look like a D610 update .. Where is the D620 going to fit ? There is no space between the D610 and the D750 is there ? surely its the end of the D6XX series? .. hmm maybe expeed4 + 51 af points + wifi.

Probably a D5xx camera is next.. with expeed 4 + 5FPS and no focus motor.
    The D620 is fitting "down". It will be the $1,300 full frame offering. The D500 will be the $750 full frame offering and the D400 will be the $500 sub full frame offering.
    Yeah, I wish, but no chance. You're way off - I SAY YOU'RE WAY OFF! :))
    I am willing to vary my prediction by stipulating D630, D510 and D410. Otherwise, my money is still on the table.
    So now we know the new battery grip is the MB-D16 - see main blog. The big question, with the addition of the MB-D16 to the D750 what happens to the fps. It's got to be at least 7.5 and hopefully 8 fps. :-bd

Anyone remember what the gain was on the D300 with the battery grip? What about some of the other bodies, like the D610, D700 and D810.

Finally, bet the price will be $295 for the new grip.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    So now we know the new battery grip is the MB-D16
    But of course... why wouldn't they milk the cow until it's empty...
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    I'm curious about the sensor and the presence of a OLP/AA filter. 24Mp is an ideal resolution as far as I'm concerned but would be curious if this is just the D610 sensor (ok) or is it something brand new?

Jon
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    I'm curious about the sensor and the presence of a OLP/AA filter. 24Mp is an ideal resolution as far as I'm concerned but would be curious if this is just the D610 sensor (ok) or is it something brand new?

Jon
    If it is more focused on video, most would hope for an AA filter. Quite frankly I would rather have one in the camera. The real difference between having one and not is very small and not noticeable except for pixel peepers.
    -----------------------
    Everything seems to be lining up well for it. Bashing it on FPS is a joke. If the FPS is true, it is the 2nd fastest body Nikon offers. No one will ever get a D4/s for $2500 - that is a pipe dream - get over it.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,703Member
    New battery grip may signal a body different than the D610 body so the old battery grip cannot fit.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I really think it should be 8 fps. As it is now it's not really great at anything and a little bit boring.
  • PostmanPostman Posts: 59Member
    The D700 was 5fps, 8fps with the grip and an EN-EL4a.

Just saying.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    I'm sure we can all agree the D750 will be a very capable body.
    It doesn't change the fact that those that want high fps apparently STILL have no where to go, unless your wallet is very thick. All other brands provide this option for far less money. Think about it. 99% of all "high fps" cameras are "cheap". D4 and Canon 1DX are actually the only exceptions, and Canon offers a cheap-ish DX alternative.
    ** Nikon DSLR is the only camera line that doesn't offer a fast, affordable body. **
    ** All other comparable camera lines do. All. **
    Could we please stop saying people are unreasonable for wanting a fast, affordable DSLR? Thank you.
    And at the same time, could we please stop repeating the "difficulties" at reaching 8 fps? They all know how.
    Btw, I still believe it'll happen one way or another.

(I'm thinking Nikon 1, Canon DSLR, Sony SLT, Sony NEX, Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, Pentax DSLR, Samsung....)
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

I'm looking forward to the announcement of the body this evening.

@Sports - "I'm sure we can all agree the D750 will be a very capable body." After the D600? I think the smart money is to agree to wait and see. ;-)

Also, some of the camera technology you are citing doesn't have pentaprism technology which really matters when you're trying to speed up fps - one of the reasons 'DSLR' might be better off going to translucent pentaprisms or mirror-less to speed up frame rates - if that's your thing.

My best,

Mike
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Yes,high fps mirrorless bodies are way cheaper to build than mirror bodies, but my point still applies, and even Nikon themselves offered this four years ago.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@Sports- Sure, what full-frame cheap camera body are you applying your point to?

My best,

Mike
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    This appears to be a camera designed "by committee" with a little bit of this and a little bit of that
    Which is exactly what most photographers want

Where is the breakthrough technology in this camera that says, "You Want Me, You Must Buy Me"? To me it looks like the bouillabaisse of DSLRs...and as much as I savor Provencal fish stew, I don't mean that in a nice way. Why bother with such an average camera? Was this a purely company management decision to combine various specs and components from Nikon's existing models? What are Nikon's engineers doing these days? Has Nikon beaten all the ingenuity and cleverness out of their designers? It's too timid an offering. Nikon should not have bothered.
  • juliancoltonjuliancolton Posts: 6Member
    Cameras shouldn't have to scream "buy me!". They're not inherently exciting pieces of technology. I'd love a camera that could reconstruct past scenes by retrapolating the paths of photons hitting the sensor, but I won't hold it against the D750 for not having that capability. To denounce an of-yet unannounced camera because it misses some intangible and unspecified technology seems a bit unfair.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    Cameras shouldn't have to scream "buy me!"

Nikon is not immune from the laws of commerce. They need to appeal to customers and potential customers like any other business. Companies that don't offer appealing products eventually disappear. Does Nikon want to be the next Kodak? The next Univac, Dec, or Sun computer corp? That's not beyond the realm of possibility. To me, the sophisticated design and engineering of a BMW or Mercedes say, Buy Me! The elegance of a Leica camera system whispers, Buy Me! And while I'm not an Apple fanatic (I am typing this on a new (Mac Pro, however), many of their products have brilliant designs and technical innovations that the public loves. Nikon may have a management problem, a loss of vision, an overwhelming timidity. It would be a shame if corporate innovation was stifled and lost out to an attitude of continually "playing it safe". The D8xx and D4x series were break-out cameras. Nikon needs to do more of that. IMO, anything less wastes the valuable time of its engineers and product designers. Nikon may have its eye on what its main competitor Canon is doing, but Sony has its eye on both of them. History is full of failed companies, dinosaurs that failed to adapt. Nothing in the universe prevents Nikon from becoming one of them.
    edited September 2014
    I'm sure we can all agree the D750 will be a very capable body.
    Could we please stop saying people are unreasonable for wanting a fast, affordable DSLR? Thank you.
    And at the same time, could we please stop repeating the "difficulties" at reaching 8 fps? They all know how.
    Btw, I still believe it'll happen one way or another.
    Amen.
    Thanks @Postman...The D700 was 5fps, 8fps with the grip and an EN-EL4a.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    Everyone here who knows me knows that I'm not a Nikon fanboy. I bitch about them more than most, but this looks like a win. If you wanted a D700 replacement for events and the like, this is what you wanted. Now go get it.
    +1 totally agree. The D750 looks like a great camera. Because a small percentage of my pictures are BIF, I can live with 6.5fps. The battery grip hopefully will address this issue. I see so many pluses right now. Looking forward to tonight's formal announcement.
  • EmceeEmcee Posts: 48Member
    New pics are up and I think a lot of people are going to be mad about the D600-esque body, I think this is really a defense for the D8XX otherwise it will cannibalize D8XX sells.

And for people complaining about 6.5fps, I'm sure the grip will raise the number.

All in all I think it's a good move by Nikon.
    D800 | 14-24 2.8G, 28 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 58 1.4G, 85 1.4D, 24-85G VR
  • safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    edited September 2014
    Yawn.

Not exactly what I was expecting it to be, but atleast it will drive down the prices of D600s and D700s some more.

On the bright side, I can pre-order my Iphone 6 tonight, so it's a win.

Post edited by safyre on
    Wow the price was $200 less than I expected. This should drive down the D610 price. No AF button on the back and that body looks smaller than the D610 but every thing else looks really good. Can't wait to see some testing to hear about the buffer size and memory writing speed.