What do want want from an action Camera ?

sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
edited September 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
For you, what is the most important thing in an action camera?

Reading the D750 thread many of you want 8 fps or more

For me its about things like speed of focusing, minimum shutter delay, I also want to take it everywhere, so size weight is important, The best Nikon Action Camera I have even had, was my Nikonos The D750 is meant have "expensive sealing against weather influences "
I going to guess not up to Go Pro standards
Post edited by sevencrossing on

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    For an action camera, my expectations:
    1. 8fps+
    2. Large buffer
    3. Fast writing buffer to the memory card to allow continuous shooting for a minimum of 6 seconds
    4. Fast AF system with excellent tracking for BIF, motor cars, runners, bike riders, etc
    5. To borrow your point - minimum shutter delay
    6. Larger body for better tracking with 70-200mm lens (hand held shooting)
    7. Good sealing against the environment.

Weight is not important to me. Just give me a larger body with good ergonomics.
    Thanks @sevencrossing for starting this thread and for continuing to use a great list of camera gear in your signature block. :-bd
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited September 2014
    *Fantastic weather sealing like dunking the camera in the ocean by accident and it still works like new.
    *Predictive focusing like if I'm tracking a basket ball player and then he goes for the dunk the focus point is on the basket. ( I don't do much sports fwiw)
    *built in wifi transfmitter for instant uploads to the server of the (insert sports company here)
    *Fantastic one of kind grip for when you are sweating or cold the grip grips onto you like a Geico
    *amazing battery life 2000-2500 shots.
    *D4s ISO capabilites.
    *Touch to focus LCD only nothing else would respond to touch.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2014
    Another thing it should have, as well as predictive focusing, would be a predictive shutter release. That would completely eliminate the need for more than one fps. The camera would automatically fire at the decisive moment. Am I the only photographer that wants, the frame BEFORE I press the shutter, not 8 afterwards
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited September 2014
    The HTC ONE phone had this. It was a nice feature and if it is implemented well it could work. Sort of on how AF release function to capture without focus as soon as the af/on or shutter is pressed it starts taking photos then compares the best like the iphone 6/+ does and gives you the best one displayed once the shutter is released.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    Another thing it should have, as well as predictive focusing, would be a predictive shutter release. That would completely eliminate the need for more than one fps. The camera would automatically fire at the decisive moment. Am I the only photographer that wants, the frame BEFORE I press the shutter, not 8 afterwards
    So you think the camera is suppose to somehow know of a moment before you do? Besides probably most people ending up with a stack of shots of the ground, that would mean a continual recording by the sensor. That can not happen. There is this thing called a "mirror" that is in the way.

There is too much "spec" reading and trying to push DSLRs into having the same marketing specs a mirrorless system has. The technology does not correlate at all between the two. Completely different AF systems, metering systems, different abilities of "predictive" focus, etc. DSLRs still have the upper hand and probably will for quite a few years yet.

What is the action camera everyone wants? That's easy, the specs never matter throughout the ages. Just take the Top of the line (D4s) and only charge $2,000. That is what people want - and will never get.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    +1 sevencrossing. I want one. :D
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

At the former TTJ, I think that was a joke - although quite serious in intent... ;-)

It would be lovely to have such an ingenious camera...

@Photobug - people who don't care about the weight of cameras haven't carried heavy cameras far or for long distances... I've done both. Shaving a few ounces (or grams) of weight is a terrific bonus at the end of the day, more so at the end of the week, even more at the end of the month.

What I would like to see is some focusing aides in the screen either in some combination of focus peaking and screen aides to track subjects on the LCD panel.

My best,

Mike
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Re predictive shutter release .. I am sure I have seen that in some spec of some camera somewhere.. I thought it was cool when i first saw it .. probably in some P&S. I am sure It can be done with DSLRs.. in Live View Mode.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

@Photobug - people who don't care about the weight of cameras haven't carried heavy cameras far or for long distances... I've done both. Shaving a few ounces (or grams) of weight is a terrific bonus at the end of the day, more so at the end of the week, even more at the end of the month.
    I can understand your comment. I have carried a 70-200 F2.8 on a D300+battery grip all day and it wasn't a problem. Even multiple days is not that bad but it can get to your neck. The weight just does not bother me.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Predictive shutter release..... Isn't that what separates the good from the best in photographers?
    Msmoto, mod
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    @MikeGunter +1

Especially on carrying heavy gear all day.

I'm secretly waiting to see what the next Fuji Xt-1 is like. It really closer to what I would like to carry all day. The kicker is the focus which is just slightly behind DSLRs yet. At a minimum that may end up being my 2nd/backup working rig, and could easily take over all of my event work.
    •Formerly TTJ•
    edited September 2014
    I have carried a 70-200 F2.8 on a D300+battery grip all day and it wasn't a problem. .
    But what else were you carrying? how high did you climb? have far did you walk ?
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    LOL ...
    HTC's next device could be an action camera

Seriously, the Nikon 1 has many great ideas for an action camera. Just put all the tech and all the ideas into a "proper" camera (wrt. sensor, viewfinder, ergonomics, ..)
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    I suspect at my age I have found it is pretty easy to laugh at myself. And, one of the funniest aspects of my photography is the fact I now have two camera bodies which have so many more capabilities than I do, I really have no desire for anything better.

Having said this, I think the one camera body I would like to see Nikon introduce is a full frame mirrorless with ergonomics so as to fit in the hand comfortably and an electronic viewing screen on back and at eye level which would perform like the old ground glass on an F body from the 1960's. The mount would be an "F mount" so as to utilize all the current Nikkor optics. Additionally, it needs all the dials, buttons, etc., of the D4, allowing instant access to changes in settings.

As an action camera I suspect this would have the capabilities to shoot maybe 20 FPS, full res, and buffer up to about 100 or more exposures. For sure, if it had a 24 MP sensor, at 20 FPS, up to 100 images, this would require some very sophisticated new processing, and no doubt be a bit expensive. But, that is exactly what I would like in an "action" camera.
    Msmoto, mod
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    V3 size, D810 resolution, D4 low light capability -- and cost $10

Gee, I wonder why Nikon does not talk to me: : :))
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    V3 size, D810 resolution, D4 low light capability -- and cost $10

Not quite $10 , but the D750 is going in the right direction

• MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    HI all,

@Photobug - I don't what you to think I'm trying to bust your chops... My experience with 'carrying' is just different. I was a combat photographer in the Army in Vietnam, toting equipment for weeks in terrain along with regular combat gear - rucksack, arms, and such that also totaled over 100 pounds.

Weight matters. Once you've seen soldiers resupplied rip through everything to reduce their load as much as they can, you might have more respect for that notion. Every step comes at a cost.

That bleeds over for a reporter or a recorder of nature, too, who has to trudge though the Bob Marshall Wilderness with their cameras and gear. Lighter can make the difference in getting there or settling for another shot.

In some cases - especially with the newer remote drone technology - we have the opportunity to do aerial photography using lighter cameras - now with full frame, vice micro 4/3 - if the weight is right.

My best to all,

Mike
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    We should use the drones to carry our packs, is what we should do.

I walked across the Alps last year in 8 days and I was well prepared for most situations, but thought I had still packed as lean as possible. Still weighed in at 14kgs with water and couldn't figure out what to leave at home. D80 and 18-135, so no exotic or heavy gear for photography. And while I started out like it was nothing, probably out of sheer excitement, on the last day, my neck was hurting so badly from the pack I was ready to dump it all into the river :-D And all the time I never even had to carry more than a few sandwiches of provisions. One of the reasons why I recently bought a Fuji X-E1.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    At the moment I'm not interested in buying an action camera but if I were ever so inclined I might just keep an eye out for reviews of the Samsung NX-1, which will be officially announced next week. Pictures and specs of the camera have been leaked on-line: 28 MP APS-C sensor, 15(!) fps, and super-fast AF according to those rumors.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I think the V3 with the Nikon 1 70-300 might suffice for me, in sufficient light of course.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    I agree with everyone who talks about weight and it seems to me that with the proliferation of rigid lightweight materials that substantial weight savings are more than possible. One also wonders if synthetic lens technology has progressed to the point that some or all of the lens glass elements could be replaced without sacrificing optical quality. I also agree that weather proofing needs to be up graded, particularly the F mount. Battery technology is evolving so perhaps some size an weight savings there as well. I hear enough about contemporary military sighting and target illumination devices to realize that miniaturization can be quite advanced and perhaps some of that technology will trickle down to consumer electronics in the near future. You have to ask if we are at the logical development end of the Bayer array and if it is time to look elsewhere for future performance up grades. But , of course, all of this must be done incrementally to keep reasonable market pricing. So, how about instantaneous AF lock on and tracking, 20+fps with full focus, double the D4s buffer capacity and 4 times the clearance rate, -4 stops low light, no more than moderate noise to 128,000, dual cf slots, at least 4 configurable rear panel buttons for essential control functions, take your pick on external down load methodologies as I am indifferent, all rapped up in a package the size of the 750 ant 2/3rds the weight, and sealed to -1 atmosphere. Obviously improbable.
    I have carried a 70-200 F2.8 on a D300+battery grip all day and it wasn't a problem. .
    But what else were you carrying? how high did you climb? have far did you walk ?
    That was all the gear I was carrying. Not much climbing but walked 4 to 6 miles on those days getting in and out of a bus. My days were 10 to 12 hours long. I have done this in Alaska and in the Grand Tetons.

So the weight was okay, killed the neck but otherwise not an issue.
    HI all, @Photobug - I don't what you to think I'm trying to bust your chops... My experience with 'carrying' is just different. I was a combat photographer in the Army in Vietnam, toting equipment for weeks in terrain along with regular combat gear - rucksack, arms, and such that also totaled over 100 pounds.

Weight matters. Once you've seen soldiers resupplied rip through everything to reduce their load as much as they can, you might have more respect for that notion. Every step comes at a cost.

That bleeds over for a reporter or a recorder of nature, too, who has to trudge though the Bob Marshall Wilderness with their cameras and gear. Lighter can make the difference in getting there or settling for another shot.

In some cases - especially with the newer remote drone technology - we have the opportunity to do aerial photography using lighter cameras - now with full frame, vice micro 4/3 - if the weight is right. /blockquote>

Mike, no offense taken. My reference was for photo shooting on vacation or local when shooting Eagles, or what ever. Knowing that is where your coming from it makes perfect sense. You get my cudoos for being a combat photographer. I have had to carry a back pack loaded with camera gear for short time frames and can't compare to what you have been through.

Our frame of reference was different. If some one is mountain climbing that is also a different case and not comparable to mine. I have carried that D300 and 70-200mm for most of the day and it's just not comparable to what your reference was.
    edited September 2014
    It is interesting how our experiences dictate our opinions in many cases. When shooting professionally in the early days, I never had to carry much because someone handed me a camera when I needed it. Thus, for five, ten, even thirty minutes, the weight issue was not there. So, even today I do not worry about this as I am always near some place where I can leave the camera if need be. I must admit, however, I did not want to set my D4 with 400/2.8 on the ground the other day when I was shooting race cars in pouring rain... :)
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod