Post Processing Techniques

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited September 2014 in General Discussions
In photos of vehicles, especially automobiles, I like to add a bit to the image and make it look more as if it were sitting with "engine running" or that something special is happening. So, I will often add lighted headlights.

Original after post processing
LR_5.6_Techniques_Pre_09.24.2014

Initial lights on
LR_5.6_Techniques_1_09.24.2014

Final with "parking lights on"
LR_5.6_Techniques_Final_09.24.2014

I do this by fist creating a "brush" in LR which has large feathering, so as o have light spilling out over the edge of the headlights and create a bright spot inhere the bulb would be seen. I erase the area where in the real world the light would not be seen, like above the headlight on the fender. A second feathered bright spot is done, this time to simply create more brightness where the bulb might be, and possibly some glow around the headlight which might be the way we would see it as if glare were present.

Finally, the parking lights are turned on.

The above is done with three or four different brushes, intensity, saturation, and color temp of each adjusted for personal preference.

Maybe some other examples can be offered from members who like to play in post processing… :D
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @Msmoto: Wow it does "wake the car up". I wonder it this trick will work when you take pictures of sleepy teenagers :-)
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Thanks for the tip. I have done your technique similar in Nik software by brightening and upping the saturation. It makes the lights pop especially the tailights. I haven't done it in LR but you just woke up the creative sleeping giant and gave me an idea for a car I shot at the Chicago auto show. I'll start sketching some ideas.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited September 2014
    MsMoto - it's nice to see you share that technique. When I saw your new trailer with the lights it was very impressive as well as some of your older car post with lights on. It really makes them stand out. Cudoo's to your creative side.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    a couple more ideas

Starting here:
    LR_5.6_Techniques_Porsche_09.24.2014

And, ending up here:
    Porsche by Design II 01.04.14-6

Background darkened and desaturated. Wheels, develop better contrast. Headlights, on, of course. Paint (lighting) evened up.
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited September 2014
    Very good work! Digital is so much better than film.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Excellent work. The wheels really pop.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Nice! Think I am going to try a little bit of this with bird eyes.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    On eyes, I usually will brighten up and desaturate the whites (people), then run a high contrast brush around the edge so as to subtly add eyeliner…LOL A female touch….. :-*
    Msmoto, mod