Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited October 2014 in D300/D300s/D500
It seems quite apparent, Nikon has no current DX body which can be considered professional, i.e., the control layout is similar to the D810, D4s. Thus, instead of talking D400 or whatever, the thread is restarted with a more accurate query.
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 44Member
    It would seem that with the 7D Mark II that Nikon *has* to come up with something. To those of us that would like a FX primary with a DX backup the choices are substandard. Heck, I have almost considered a DF as a replacement for my D300, but would like the DX lens length bump to help keep me out of buying a 600mm or 800mm lens. It is a SIMPLE seeming decision. 24mp, D4 deep buffer, say a 7FPS rate. Oh and can we get a DX body with a round eyepiece? Nice to be able to use the same Right Angle adapter on two cameras.

But a body is not the biggest issue for Nikon and DX. The real problem is professional LENSES to go on a DX body.
    Www.timbersnakestudios.com
  • Terry7732Terry7732 Posts: 14Member
    For serious photographers I do not see why the lack of professional DX lenses is a problem. To me the answer is simple, use FX lenses. This way, if you have both bodies, you can happily switch between the two and never have to worry in the future when you want to change either body for a newer model.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    You can buy some very nice DX lenses from Tokina, Sigma, etc., but FX lenses ARE needed, obviously, to get you going.
    This is absolutely fine with me, as it's also more future-proof.

But if you want DX to reduce size, then buying FX lenses is of course not really the perfect solution. The question is if it's not actually a mirrorless system you need, if you want smaller size.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    It is not so much my own needs I am thinking of with the call for lenses. I have always bought what I needed not so much what is being sold if that makes sense. So yeah, I have a lot of FX lenses and a few DX.

I agree that 3rd party mfg are filling the gap in the DX lens market. But for NIKON to bring a new professional DX body to the game they have to put some glass with it. Otherwise that whole segment of smaller bodied pro/high amateur is going to go to Sony or Fuji mirrorless. I am more speaking from a viewpoint of what is business smart for Nikon.

Course, I would care less about DX if they would just release an updated 300 f4.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I suppose I need to add something here…. my solution to waiting for a DX Pro body from Nikon was to simply purchase a used D800E, use crop mode, plus have the advantage of FX with lotsa pixels…. At the current pricing for a used D800/E, I rather think this is a very reasonable path, maybe why Nikon is not producing at present a DX Pro body… WHo knows?
    Msmoto, mod
    Actually Tommie, that is exactly what i am doing as well. The D4/D800 combo is to me the solution.

Have you considered getting the grip for the D800 so you can use D4 batteries in it?
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited October 2014
    It is not so much my own needs I am thinking of with the call for lenses. I have always bought what I needed not so much what is being sold if that makes sense. So yeah, I have a lot of FX lenses and a few DX.

I agree that 3rd party mfg are filling the gap in the DX lens market. But for NIKON to bring a new professional DX body to the game they have to put some glass with it. Otherwise that whole segment of smaller bodied pro/high amateur is going to go to Sony or Fuji mirrorless. I am more speaking from a viewpoint of what is business smart for Nikon.

Course, I would care less about DX if they would just release an updated 300 f4.
    Nikon does not need to bring out DX professional to make a smaller body. They could make a body the size of the D3300 in FX right now. Think about it, the flange focal length distance is the same. The mount is the same diameter.

If they want to make a smaller body size, then they need a new lens system with at least a smaller mount diameter. But then it would not be DX anymore.

There are currently no really small FX bodies (unless you count the DF) because there high price dictates the professionals and serious amateurs are the real customers and there is a benefit to the larger body given ergonomics.

I am not saying that there is no benefit to a smaller body, but it will be more menu driven and Nikon/Canon have not filled that yet.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited October 2014
    Lets look at the advantages of DX

less cost, less weight

cost and weight are of less importance to a professional

So the market for Pro DX may be less than the market for Pro FX

But what about " reach" I hear you say . "Reach" is also about weight and cost . A 600mm lens on a Fx camera has the same reach as 400mm on DX

Ah; I hear you say " I am not professional and I can't afford a D810 or a D4s. Nikon what are you going to do for me ?"

I think Nikon have listened to you and produced the D750

"No I don't want a D750" you say "I want a Nikon version of the 7D2"

Sorry says Nikon. We have been making full frame cameras since 1959 Dx was a cost cutting exercise when full frame sensors were very expensive. Our professional customers tell us, they buy Nikon because they want the best and we believe the best is full frame . We not abandoning DX as it has the a big cost advantage but we will not be adding more buttons and dials to our Dx range, because that would increase cost and take away the DX avantage

The above is just MHO others will disagree

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Well said Sevencrossing.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    November, announced before black Friday. They won't let Canon keep the market to themselves. They will at least want to split it, so that's my prediction.
    edited October 2014
    No company can have an entire market sector to itself
    Ford tried to do that when they bought Land Rover, Jaguar and Aston Martin. It did not work
    Yes we would all love a DX equivalent of the D4s for a fraction of the price but the evidence is, Nikon don't believe they could make one and increase the company's profitability
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Reading reviews it seems the D810 has many small improvements that add up to make a big difference when compared to the D800 and D800E it replaces. The D750 may be following in the same pattern.

Has Nikons new leadership changed made a change in how Nikon is thinking?

Nikon does need to reply to the 7D mark II. A DX version of the D810 with a few more FPS and a bigger buffer would make a good "bridge" camera for those working there way up to FX. It would make an good all around performer for a DX flagship.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    What is the definition of a "professional camera"?

Professionals use myrid camera models as to amatures.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    One that has dedicated buttons for all functions, two wheels, weather sealed and is on this list:
    http://nikonpro.com/Renewal-NPS-Equipment-List.pdf
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    I would like to think that Nikon will counter the 7DM2. I really wonder if it will happen though. If they just tweaked the D7100 a little, bigger buffer, higher FPS and a dedicated AF-On (I'm currently using a FN button for ae-l which is a little annoying) and threw it in their newer shell with good weather sealing and a Mag Alloy chassis, I would be pretty happy. I can see a lot of my type (bird photographers) "flocking" to the 7dm2 and the 400 F5.6 for less money than buying either a D810 or a 80-400G
    edited October 2014
    The next flagship dx camera should have EXPEED 4 giving higher fps and higher ISO
    Assuming it's a D7200, it could be half the price of a 7D2
    Yes some people will pay an extra £800, for the features of a 7D2
    Are there enough of them, that are not already in the Canon camp?
    Has anyone with D7100 had weather problems ?
    Is a Mag Alloy chassis worth £800?

I think Nikon's answer to more fps, on a prosumer camera , will be mirrorless.
    FX or DX? I don't know. It may use technology that is hidden away in some R&D lab
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Question: Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?
    Answer: IMHO - NO.

@sevencrossing - never had a problem shooting in damp and dripping rain with my D7100, when it really starts to rain out comes the bag to protect that lens and body.

Up until now I really think that Nikon felt they provide upgrade options for those D300 owners...that is until the 7DMKII was launched. Sevencrossing said it well in his long post above.

People that are DX shooters who want a PRO body really need to move to a FX body and use it like MsMoto does to shoot DX. My gut tells me there are only a few of us that really want a Pro DX body and Nikon's Marketing decision was the market was not big enough to warrant the development and launch of a Pro body DX camera. And yes, the D7100 is not a pro body but it shoots great images. Pro's would buy a Pro DX body but it does not exist so they go to the next best option....the D7100.

Now if the pre order sales are high for the Canon 7DMKII and the first 3 months volume are high, Nikon is going to have to reconsider their next step/response. If they have not developed a Pro body DX prototype they will respond in one or two ways (my opinion):
    #1 Upgrade the D7100 further than they would have normally but NOT match the high fps rate of the 7DMKII and sell for considerably less than the 7DMKII.
    #2 or take the D750 body and adapt it their top of the line DX body. Probably would not be the pro body some of us wanted but it would be an upgrade to the D7100/D7200. The D7100 would follow their plan of upgrades with minimal tweaks of course. Price could be less than the D750 or the same price.

Of course there is another option and that is do nothing to match or exceed the 7DMKII body. Any way that is the way I see it. I just have that nagging fear that Nikon wants people to move to FX bodies and use the DX mode to get that extra reach. It could be part of their long term plan to move all buyers to FX bodies as prices come down.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited October 2014

Now if the pre order sales are high for the Canon 7DMKII and the first 3 months volume are high,.....
    I think Canon have a winner with the 7d2

Will most buyers be existing Canon users or people moving up from a P&S or smartphone?
    If they are existing Canon owners, I don't think Nikon will be too concerned
    If they are buying their first dslr or photographers jumping ship; then Nikon might well rethink their fx /dx strategy
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    The D810 in DX crop mode falls short of the D7100's 24mp. Than can make a difference when you just can't get close enough and have to crop.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    What is the point of restarting a thread with a different title and the same subject matter?

Beats me. :-??
    Always learning.
    edited October 2014
    The D810 in DX crop mode falls short of the D7100's 24mp. Than can make a difference when you just can't get close enough and have to crop.
    I know I have asked this before. Please can someone, who has both a D810 and a D7100, post some samples showing the difference
    No need, you only get 16mp out of a DX crop on a D810, you get 24mp out of a D7100. Why do you need a picture?
    i would just like to see the diffidence particularly at and above ISO 800
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited October 2014
    I'd say Nikon needs to scrap the useless DF and D610 Both of these models are redundant now that D750 is out and pay attention to DX Pro body. Now that 7D MkII is a reality.
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited October 2014

I think Canon have a winner with the 7d2

Will most buyers be existing Canon users or people moving up from a P&S or smartphone?
    If they are existing Canon owners, I don't think Nikon will be too concerned
    If they are buying their first dslr or photographers jumping ship; then Nikon might well rethink their fx /dx strategy
    Agree that Nikon is not going to be concerned if a lot of first time buyers or Nikon owners jump ship.

@retread said: The D810 in DX crop mode falls short of the D7100's 24mp. Than can make a difference when you just can't get close enough and have to crop.
    We all know that..from my perspective that is why you need the D7100 + a FX model (D610/D750/D810/D4s etc).

@spraynpray said: What is the point of restarting a thread with a different title and the same subject matter?

Good point. This thread asks the question....Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?
    Since that is Tommy's question, I will get back to the question.

From my perspective I though I wanted a Pro style control layout with a larger body than a D7100. Now that I have used my D7100 for 13 months and used the D750 twice, I realize, I can live without the larger body and pro layout.

The question ask a simple question that is not easily answered. No I do not expect a Professional DX body from Nikon.

Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |