SB 910 battery level?

cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
edited October 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I'm thinking I know the answer to this as I can't find it in the manual or anywhere in the settings, but is there a way of viewing the battery level on the SB910?
It seems to be logical that you'd be able to see the state of the batteries, but it seems you cant.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    There is no battery meter in any Nikon flashes.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The recharge time just gets longer and longer... Ain't that enough?
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    I have an SB 910 and it has a low battery indicator. Check out page B-8 in the manual.

Denver Shooter
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    From the manual: When battery power is low, the icon shown at the left appears on the LCD and the SB-910 stops functioning. Replace or recharge batteries.

So basically it's a dead battery indicator and is far different than having a meter that shows you about how much battery you have left. I want to know if I have 3/4, 1/2 or 1/4 instead of just having to guess and changing batteries needlessly just in case. Believe me, it's better to check during a short break in shooting and to suddenly have your session interrupted.
    I carry several battery sets (and flash card sets) on shoots, and If I get a short break after any significant activity (> 100 - 200 frames for flash depending on lighting conditions, bounce distance etc.), I will pre-eptively change batteries to a new (freshly recharged) set, and if there has been more (300-400 frames), I will swap camera (D810) battery as well so I am not surprised by a flurry of activity. If half of flash card capacity is used and I get a break, I will refresh those as well.

I have been caught short in non-stop photo action and missed shots while changing battery or flash memory, and I hate when that happens.

I have never drained a D3x battery in a single session so I don't swap it, but always carry an extra any way . I usually have 3 or 4 D810 batteries with me.

but yes, a battery level indicator would be nice.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.