NIKON D750 Deep REVIEW

JustRobJustRob Posts: 13Member
edited October 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi everyone,
I'm Rob an Italian professional wedding photographer and this is my real world review of the NIKON D750: http://www.robertopanciatici.com/2014/10/nikon-d750-review-samples-images.html/

I really hope you're going to enjoy it!
ROBERTO PANCIATICI PHOTOGRAPHY
W. www.robertopanciatici.com
M. info@robertopanciatici.com

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    So Rob, have you switched now from using two D810s to using two D750s? And have you considered adding the battery grip to the D750?
  • JustRobJustRob Posts: 13Member
    Hi! Yes, tomorrow I'm going to do another wedding and I'll try to use the Nikon D750 as first camera and I hope to have good feelings! I don't like the battery grip, definitely I prefer to have a lesser weight camera.
    Switching from a D810 to a D750 says a lot about the attributes of the D750.

Here is another possible benefit of a D750. When shooting in the dark and fumbling for the right button (which is lit up on a D4s) perhaps flipping up or down the LCD screen and pushing the information button will create enough light to see the buttons on the back of the camera?
    I've never use this king of trick. I like to know the camera and to use it without seeing the buttons, even when I've worked with the Nikon D4s. It's a good features but nothing special for me. :)
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Your review is well done. Good job Roberto. Grazia!
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Great little review and informational Roberto. If I may just throw in a couple of thoughts and opinions for anybody out there who might be trying to decide between the two bodies (D810 vs D750).

#1) Personally, I don't think the shutter is any louder or worse on the D750 than on the D810. Having shot and listened to these side by side I can't tell an audible difference, at least not a significant one.

#2) Saying the D810 is better for portraiture may be the case but if that somehow gives the impression that D 750 wouldn't be a good portrait camera I think this is just so so so far away from being accurate. I know you didn't state that, but people shouldn't think if they're buying a D750 somehow they're giving something up for portraits. If the D750 weren't a very capable and stellar portrait camera, where would that leave the D700, D3, D3s, D4, D7100, and all other cameras before them that managed to make stellar portraits?

Just sayin...
    edited October 2014
    Hi Jon,
    thanks for your comment, very appreciate!

#1) I meant the quite mode of the Nikon D810 is quite than the D750 quite mode. I can't hear a great difference between the "normal shutter" and the "quite shutter" in the D750 but I really like the quite shutter of the D810.

#2) Absolutely! You're right! The D750 is also great for portraits but I wrote that the D810 is better just because the low iso performance of the camera are better compared to any other camera that I've ever tried before. When I say "portraits" I mean portraits with flashlights etc
    Post edited by JustRob on
    It's true too in that there are a few limitations with the D750
    Including the 1/4000th shutter speed of which you point out but also the 1/200th flash sync as opposed to 1/250th on the D810.. Despite all this.. Most importantly your pictures are gorgeous and thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on the D750!
    Whoa! Thanks man :)
    Realistically speaking though... Under those specific situations, the 1/8000th in regards to flash in bright light that is hardly a true stop advantage once you take into consideration the power loss you experience in HSS when shooting at that speed. Unless of course you have an unlimited number of flash guns capable of HSS that "gain" on the D810 is not anywhere close to that full stop.

The ISO 64 and 1/250th though absolutely hand you a 2/3rds stop gain in those conditions and I consider that worthwhile and a true practical gain.

But at the same time, a good 1 stop ND filter for $60 on the front of your lens does even more.
    Hi PitchBlack,
    I understand what you mean and this is the reason why I wrote in my review that the first factor is obviously the photographer’s particular style of shooting. I don't have your style, so I never use flash when shooting outside trying to overpower the sun but I can obviously understand that other photographers can have different requirements.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Great review, thanks.
    Especially the AF ... hope it spreads to all future Nikons from D7xxx and up.

Btw, as the layout of the review looks so good and "professional", you may want to correct the spelling of "quiet" :-)
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    Great review, thanks.
    Especially the AF ... hope it spreads to all future Nikons from D7xxx and up.

Btw, as the layout of the review looks so good and "professional", you may want to correct the spelling of "quiet" :-)
    Thanks! The spelling is correct now! ;)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @JustRob - excellent review and with great pictures supporting your point. As Sports said, very professional.

See my equipment below.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Your review is well done. Good job Roberto. Grazia!
    +1 Your first contribution to our forum is very well said. Keep it coming Rob.

Question: What type of metering did you use in your Shutter Speed section?

Cheers....
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited October 2014
    Nice review, nice work ....

Just a note on the conclusion ... The ISO performance of D810 & D750 seem to be almost the same in tests ( 2950 vs 2850 - probably relating to less than 1/10th a stop ).

There is of course the general impression that lower Mp sensors are "always" better in ISO performance when compared to higher Mp ones - due to pixel density/size. It may not always be the case. Maybe it is just that the image in D810 is 36 Mp, allowing you to see more in detail than the 24Mp D750 ... Reduce that to 24Mp or view both at same size and ISO performance should be the same.

Just sayin '.....
    Post edited by Paperman on
    Paperman: not the same. DxOMark Sports rating is really Signal to Noise of 30 db with 9 EV of dynamic range. It doesn't include on-board software processing to JPEG image. Here is DxOMark's defination:

Sports: "An SNR value of 30dB means excellent image quality. Thus low-light ISO is the highest ISO setting for a camera that allows it to achieve an SNR of 30dB while keeping a good dynamic range of 9 EVs and a color depth of 18bits."

I think the D750 includes new software image processing which significantly reduces the noise seen in JPEGs at high ISO.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    So you are saying D750 has better noise processing ..... But is Roberto Shooting JPEG ? :)

Question: What type of metering did you use in your Shutter Speed section?
    Thanks :) I usually use the spot metering because I like to save the highlights when I take pictures.

To be honest I don't like DxOMark anymore... I used to see all the tests but time after time I saw that numbers are only numbers and the reality is usually different, so I prefer to try by myself or to read real world review of the camera. I took the pictures in Raw, same exposure etc and in the review you can see the same size files, I'm not comparing the D810 at 100% and the D750 at 100% because the resolution is completely different and obviously the D810 could have more noise. The Nikon D750 has better high iso performance and I could use for the web even the 51.200 iso files. One of the samples pictures in the review has 12.800 iso, and it's perfect.
  • sebmour1981sebmour1981 Posts: 13Member
    Coming from Canon, the silent mode is far, very far from quiet.
    I love the AF in low and normal light. It even locks on without a fuss in high flaring shots.
    I find the body a touch small in my fingers and I feel like I'll rip the screen off one day.

I wish that the AF-L/AE-L button and shutter button could be used for focus. Not just one when activated.

Good review.
    You can read mine on my blog at http://sebastiendamour.com/blog/2014/10/27/why-i-switched-from-canon-to-the-nikon-d750/
    www.sebastiendamour.com
    Nikon D750 (2), Nikkor 20mm f1.8G, Sigma 35mm ART, Sigma 50mm ART, Nikkor 60mm f2.8 micro, Nikkor 85mm f1.8G, Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8VRII and SB-910 (2)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Coming from Canon, the silent mode is far, very far from quiet.
    I love the AF in low and normal light. It even locks on without a fuss in high flaring shots.
    I find the body a touch small in my fingers and I feel like I'll rip the screen off one day.

I wish that the AF-L/AE-L button and shutter button could be used for focus. Not just one when activated.
    Are you asking if the AF-L/AE-L button can be used for back button focusing? If so, yes it can. Look under the AF menu options and change the button to AF ON. Run a search here and it will find a long discussion on the advantages of using this button to focus DSLR cameras.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Hi sebmour1981,
    yes, the quiet mode it's far from Canon in the Nikon D750 but it's very great in the Nikon D810, believe me :)

I agree with Photobug for the AF-L/AE-L button! ;-)
  • sebmour1981sebmour1981 Posts: 13Member
    I know that I can use and it's already modified to work that way. I just find it awkward that you cannot focus with shutter button anymore once that function is activated. When I lend my camera to someone who only uses the shutter button to focus, they think my camera is broken or malfunctioning.
    www.sebastiendamour.com
    Nikon D750 (2), Nikkor 20mm f1.8G, Sigma 35mm ART, Sigma 50mm ART, Nikkor 60mm f2.8 micro, Nikkor 85mm f1.8G, Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8VRII and SB-910 (2)
  • wmscyclonewmscyclone Posts: 56Member
    I know that I can use and it's already modified to work that way. I just find it awkward that you cannot focus with shutter button anymore once that function is activated. When I lend my camera to someone who only uses the shutter button to focus, they think my camera is broken or malfunctioning.
    I have set one of the User settings (U1 or U2) on the mode dial for shutter button focus so that if I hand it to someone else they don't have any problems. I also set it for Aperture priority mode, Auto-ISO, and AF-auto so they can just point and shoot. The user settings are awesome, because when you get the camera back you can just switch the dial back to your preferred mode and you're right back to "normal" again.
    D600, Nikkor Lenses: 24-120 f/4G, 70-300 f/3.5-5.6G, 50 f/1.8G, 300 f/4E, TC-14E III
    Yes, I really like the user settings! It's a very good feature. I'll update the review with this aspect when I'll have few free time and maybe I'll share even the settings :)