Best Buy Replaced My D7100 and it's Faster?

rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
edited November 2014 in D90/D7x00
Been absent for a while........I was on vacation recently and went to take a picture on my D7100 and noticed a black spot and some smudges in the middle of the screen. Took the lens off and cleaned it and put it back on and it was still there. So, I went to lift the mirror option and even though my battery was fully charged, the mirror up option was grayed out. It took pictures semi-decently through my vacation, but when I got home, I took it to Best Buy and they sent it out for service. It came back in the exact same condition, so they just replaced it and I got it last night. It took a while to reconfigure all settings, but the one thing I noticed is it's faster than the camera it replaced. It's burst mode shoots faster. Pictures show up on the LCD faster. It just seems more robust all around.

My replacement camera is hundreds of thousands of units newer than the original. I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything Nikon may have done with more recent editions of the D7100 over the early cameras?
Post edited by rbrylawski on
Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Firmware update in Aug?
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    Don't know, but whatever it is, I really like how much quicker this one is over my previous one :)
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    "I took it to Best Buy and they sent it out for service. "

Did Best Buy send your camera out to Nikon for servicing or to someone else?
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    According to Best Buy, they have their own service center for Camera's with "supposedly" Nikon certified service people. So, they did not send it to Nikon. But I had purchased a Geek Squad replacement plan in case anything went wrong with the camera. I gave them the opportunity to fix it. They didn't, so they simply handed me a new D7100.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Welcome back and I'm glad that the new body is working out better for you. Well done BB in addressing your issue in the manner they did. However, their repair service could use some fine tuning.

Cheers...
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Thanks Golf! Did I see you got a D750? Cool if you did!! I actually like Best Buy. They take good care of their customers!
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited November 2014
    No; I have not purchased the D750. I'm holding off till the next D4 update. I skipped the D4s :P
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    No I have not purchased the D750. I'm holding off till the next D4 update. I skipped the D4s :P
    Sorry, somehow I thought I read on the D750 thread you got one. I'm sure the D4S upgrade when it comes out will be simply amazing!

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I dont see any mega improvements in the D7100 since launch and the firmware was only to get some new lens data on board...I think you must have had a bad one originally which is rare or some adustment was cocked up.
    I dont see any mega improvements in the D7100 since launch and the firmware was only to get some new lens data on board...I think you must have had a bad one originally which is rare or some adustment was cocked up.
    Thanks. Based on my experience with the replacement D7100, I'm inclined to agree there was something flawed in the first one, only it was so many miles better than my D70 that I failed to realize the D7100 could be even better! Of course the defect had to become so much more pronounced while I was on vacation, when I really needed my camera. It decided to work, but only in full Auto mode. The fact I got some decent pictures is a testament to the programming Nikon built into full Auto to begin with.

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I once purchased the D80 at best buy with warranty. They failed to fix it so they gave me a D90 instead. Glad to hear your experience went well.
    I once purchased the D80 at best buy with warranty. They failed to fix it so they gave me a D90 instead. Glad to hear your experience went well.
    Best Buy may not be the low cost leader, but they definitely take care of their customers!

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited November 2014
    True to that. They once put all their Sb-800 flashes on clearance and I picked up a few at 75.00 or 150.00 I can't remember this was maybe more than 6 years ago or so.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    but the one thing I noticed is it's faster than the camera it replaced. It's burst mode shoots faster. Pictures show up on the LCD faster. It just seems more robust all around.
    Too bad you did not do a speed test with the first one. It would be interesting to see how much of an improvement there was. How many uncompressed RAW frames are you getting before the slow down (and are you using the extreme pros)?
    I didn't do a speed test, but it's markedly faster. And yes, I use Extreme Pros that write at 95mb/S. I'll have to check how many files I get before the slowdown so I can give you a more precise answer.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I didn't do a speed test, but it's markedly faster. And yes, I use Extreme Pros that write at 95mb/S. I'll have to check how many files I get before the slowdown so I can give you a more precise answer.
    That will be interesting to know.
    Always learning.
    I won't be in a position to do anything until this weekend, but I'll be back. What I suspect is this new D7100 is likely operating how my first one should have operated, only I didn't realize it was slower until I got the replacement camera.
    I just want to be sure mine is as good as yours while it's under warranty! :D
    Always learning.
    What is your burst mode in Raw on your D7100?
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    A few years into the production run, it is entirely likely that internal semiconducors were replaced with more current production models. If these were memory or cpu chips then the new ones are likely faster, even though the interface spec would have to be consistent.
    Manufacturers of all types do this routinely as they try to purchase off the shelf components.

... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

Thanks.......whatever's in this new one, is definitely quicker than the previous one and I like it a lot. Yes I do!
    OK.....I had a chance to check and this camera is certainly faster. Using NEF/RAW 14 bit, it shot 5 pictures in rapid succession, then started to slow a bit, but kept shooting to the 10 maximum I had programmed before it stopped shooting.

I can say that in my original D7100 it slowed much faster. Now truth be told, I rarely if ever use burst mode. I'm not an action photographer, but it is nice to confirm this camera is definitely faster than my first one.

edited November 2014
    OK.....I had a chance to check and this camera is certainly faster. Using NEF/RAW 14 bit, it shot 5 pictures in rapid succession, then started to slow a bit, but kept shooting to the 10 maximum I had programmed before it stopped shooting.

I can say that in my original D7100 it slowed much faster. Now truth be told, I rarely if ever use burst mode. I'm not an action photographer, but it is nice to confirm this camera is definitely faster than my first one.

Oo-er, mine only does 4 before slowing down. I suppose it depends to some extent on the size of the files/subject matter? I shot 1000th/f4 about 3-4 stops under exposed.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

Did you use the same sort of SD cards when you shot the old camera and the new one?

I would expect Nikon would have announced any sort of subtle upgrade if they had done any internal changes to the D7100.

Well, as long as you're happy, I guess that's the most important part.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Oo-er, mine only does 4 before slowing down. I suppose it depends to some extent on the size of the files/subject matter? I shot 1000th/f4 about 3-4 stops under exposed.
    I was shooting at a faster shutter speed, so that would certainly account for a difference.