Apple New I-Mac's 5K What software work's?

jimmyboyjimmyboy Posts: 505Member
edited December 2014 in General Discussions
Anybody checked out the new iMac with Retina 5K, What software work's?
Post edited by jimmyboy on
Tagged:

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Played around with it in a store, the display is beautiful. Besides that not much to go by since it just had basic apps loaded.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • GreenwiseGreenwise Posts: 34Member
    absolutely stunning :) 5k retina display makes me want to get my credit card out and spend to my limit :D
    nearly 15 million pixels and the processing power to munch all my photoshop needs when editing shots from my D750 :) good i wish santa existed!!
    greenwise
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Does the display cover the Adobe RGB color space ?.
    ... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• jimmyboyjimmyboy Posts: 505Member
    edited December 2014
    Went to the apple store today. I checked one out! Base model i5. Price start out at $2499.00 the i7 is a must, a tad more on price. But the clarity, On Believable!

not sure if display natively supports adobe rub, but adobe provides profiles for the mac

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4074/a>
  • MightyYMightyY Posts: 30Member
    I've had one for all of 2 days now. What a fantastic screen (and computer). It's replacing a mid-2011 MacBook Air. I just calibrated it with a Spyder4Pro and it covers 100% sRBG and ~78% Adobe RGB.

So far, working in Lightroom on my D800 files is amazing. I see so much more detail now that was just hidden with my old Dell 20" LCD. Makes me appreciate the D800 even more. Also helps to have the extra horsepower and memory compared to my old MBA.
    I've had one for all of 2 days now. What a fantastic screen (and computer). It's replacing a mid-2011 MacBook Air. I just calibrated it with a Spyder4Pro and it covers 100% sRBG and ~78% Adobe RGB.

So far, working in Lightroom on my D800 files is amazing. I see so much more detail now that was just hidden with my old Dell 20" LCD. Makes me appreciate the D800 even more. Also helps to have the extra horsepower and memory compared to my old MBA.
    I
    AM
    JEALOUS
    :)
    edited December 2014
    After the holiday's I'll own one. I was just blown away on the detail on these machines. I'll be Migrating very soon, from my 2009 i-mac. Starting coming in stock at B&H. Question is, fusion or the new ssd drive? mmm. Any thoughts?
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I thought about replacing the macbook pro for one. Currently I use the ipad with the lighroom for ios to do the basic editing on the ipad and sync and work on the macbook at home when the kids are not around me otherwise I use the ipad around them as they can not break it as easily or I can leave it to the side on the sound of a cry.

Editing video and photos on it would be ideal for me but at the moment I'm going to wait and at least give my macbook pro some more use to it.

I did build one on apple's site just for fun and maxed it out to my liking (macsales/OWC sells third party memory). Like you I was stuck with either an SSD or a Fusion drive. Since this is harder to replace I would probably go for either the large capacity ssd or at least the 1tb fusion drive and of course add a raid setup or a couple of 5tb USB drives. They were on sale last friday at amazon and on ebay they come with a copy of lightroom 5 included.
    edited December 2014
    I went SSD on my configuration figuring if I needed more capacity that USB3 drives are plenty cheap now. Plus, I have a home NAS where all my photos end up living after I've tweaked them in LR, so very little ends up on the internal drive.

I should also add that from the factory the screen was pretty close to "calibrated". After using the Spyder4Pro on it, there was just the slightest shift warmer. Coin toss to which one is actually right, but I'll stick with the Spyder profile as that's what I've been using for a while now.
    Post edited by MightyY on
    edited December 2014
    First thing First, Some photo editing software MAY NOT be compatible with these machines at this moment. To new yet. Check your software before buying. Adobe suite is compatible, at this time. Greenwise lightroom seems to be working.
  • nitro4menitro4me Posts: 252Member
    @ jimmyboy I have the fusion drive in my late 2013 I7 i mac. If I had a do over I would have went with the SSD.The SSD in my macbook pro (I5 with a SSD) is almost as fast. BTW I use Apple Aperture on both machines.
    edited December 2014
    @ jimmyboy I have the fusion drive in my late 2013 I7 i mac. If I had a do over I would have went with the SSD.The SSD in my macbook pro (I5 with a SSD) is almost as fast. BTW I use Apple Aperture on both machines.

I've been working with Nikon NX2 since it came out, back in 2008. Before placing any money on this computer, I called a few places to see if this hardware would be compatible. NOPE, not at this time. Looks to me I maybe learning a new learning curve. Thanks for your input on this.
    I called Nikon today, to get this answered. There testing at this moment to see if it is compatible with Apple Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. BUT they ( WILL NOT) update the software to be compatible. BUMMER!
    First thing First, Some photo editing software MAY NOT be compatible with these machines at this moment. To new yet. Check your software before buying. Adobe suite is compatible, at this time. Greenwise lightroom seems to be working.
    Glad lightroom is working, Adobe will be fine... I've sort of abandoned aperture recently (think Apple are too!)
    nothing else i use that i can't get around ... my Sonos and Spotify apps will be good to go... Think thats my holy grail of mac apps covered for me :)
    No amount of what anyone says can prepare you for how great things look on this screen. It just looks spectacular. The amazing thing is you can edit a 36mp D800 file at 1:1 and see half the photo. Really good.

Yep! I know what you mean. At the apple store they had on display, they had a few pic on screen that I was looking at. Zooming in & out. The clarity at full zoom was amazing. This is what sold me.
    Even zooming in past full zoom, say 3:1, is amazing. Being able to see so much more of my D800 image has really sped up my editing time. It's not only that 1 image though. In the grid mode you see so many more of your photos. No more endless scrolling to get from one end of the folder to the next. And then you put the processing oomph behind it (even with the i5 specced out in mine) and it's an awesome photo editing machine. Photoshop used to dog my MBA, but the iMac 5K makes quick work of these images.
    edited December 2014
    DXO pro 10, LR as plug/in, I'm looking at this.
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    edited December 2014
    I've had one glitch, using Adobe InDesign with Yosemite on my current iMac. InDesign will fail to print, and crash. There is a simple fix, though. It involves simply removing five preference files from the Mac user library.

The issue for me is with Adobe CS4.
    Post edited by HipShot on
    This bad boy has just somehow fell into my house :)
    seems to happen each time i goto the Apple store!!...stuff falls into my trolley :)
    only had it set up an hour or so but couldn't resist installing photoshop and just messing with a full res file..
    OMG :) OMG :) OMG :)

C L A R I T Y

this eats up my D750 files spits em out n they look Fantastic!!!
    I can see 1/2 my photo at 1:1 :)

Roll on the 50mp sensor ;)
    edited January 2015
    My new i-mac 5k is on ups truck today for delivery with Light/Room & DXO software
    I recently picked up a Df to go with my D800. After getting used to the time it takes my computers to crunch through a 36MP photo, it's refreshing to process 16MP files. The iMac doesn't even have to try. And at full screen, it's near 1:1.
    edited February 2015
    Ain't that a pisser, After calling Nikon to see if they were going to update NX2 for Yosemite 10. 10. reply was NO they weren't . So when I ordered the i-mac 5K, I all so ordered Lightroom, DXO, hardware. Been working with this new software for about a 4 weeks now. Nikon decided to update NX2 for Yosemite. I was So pissed. My opinion NX2 seems better for me. To much import export with DXO & Lightroom as a plug-in. Maybe using one or the other standalone maybe better. Whats nice with NX2 you can work just one area quicker than DXO or Lightroom. Two thumbs up for NX2. Don't get me wrong Lightroom or DXO can get the job done also. AMEN!!! Staying with NX2.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I am a little confused, having used Mac's since 1980 and PC's both, it has been a long time since I have come across a software package that cannot scale to new screen resolutions, Is this something Mac specific? because if it is, wow.

I mean every application I am aware of these days will work with 5k screen resolution. Now as far as Capture NX2 working, that is another story, because we are not talking about being compatible with 5k screens, we are talking about Apple changing so much in the OS with every update that you can't run older software packages.

This must be a Mac thing.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    There were a few incompatibilities in the early retina days, mostly around font scaling to the higher density, but that's all long since been ironed out. Let's not start any rumors, other than nikon ones :)>-