Popular Photography Chooses the Nikon D750 as Camera of the Year

rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
edited November 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Post edited by Golf007sd on
Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    All the reviews have been so great and now the Camera of the Year for Popular Photography. Expect it to collect a few more awards. The local dealer and I talked about the sales on this model and he just smiles. They have sold 3 times what they expected. They are amazed with the demand for the D750.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Honestly it's not surprising as it's the best compromise between price, performance and features.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    If I didn't already have a D7100, I'd be looking at the D750. I think it offers the best bang for the buck in the Nikon arsenal.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I've got the D7100 too - doesn't stop me luvving my D750 tho.... ;)
    Always learning.
    My wallet doesn't seem to be able open wide enough for me to own two camera's let alone two different formats. I should have purchased FX glass when I started, but I didn't. All I own is DX glass. As money permits, in the future, new glass will be FX as it's clear Nikon really isn't as interested in DX. And I suspect over the years, FX will continue to come down in cost.
    My wallet doesn't seem to be able open wide enough for me to own two camera's let alone two different formats. I should have purchased FX glass when I started, but I didn't. All I own is DX glass. As money permits, in the future, new glass will be FX as it's clear Nikon really isn't as interested in DX. And I suspect over the years, FX will continue to come down in cost.
    Just wanted to share a tip that I implemented about 20 + years ago.

Sit down with pen and paper. Write down what DSLR and what lens you have today under the column "Present". Then under the column "Future" write down your future expected lens and camera purchases based upon what you know today. In your case, the emphasis should be on conversion from DX to FX. Yea, you got to get creative with DSLR names.

Date that page and put it away for future reference. In my case, I also added notes where the $$$ was coming from to fund the lens and DSLR's. This really worked for me and kept me focused on buying what "I needed" not a spur of the moment purchase.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    It's funny you make this suggestion. I told Santa I had a plan for the future and asked that no photo gear appear under the tree this year. I have a plan, but it will take a few years to get there. I like your suggestion and appreciate you making it!
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Here's a link to the full article: Popular Photography Chooses the Nikon D750 as Camera of the Year
    I read this. I do not think the 750 is a camera that moves the entire field forward...I would have thought something like the NX1 would fit that bill more if the reviews hold up or one of the new Lytro cameras. The 750 seems like the perfect Jack of all trades type of camera, but nothing that shatters the foundations of photography. Its a shame more companies didn't shoot for the moon at Photokina this year. Most played it very safe. A new all around FF camera from Nikon, and some evolutionary refinements to the 7D for Canon. But where was revolutionary? Where was the wow factor that would make us dump our existing cameras?

Seeing how fast the new iPhone shoots along with its improved UI makes me wonder how far up the food chain smartphones will eat out the camera companies business. Just think how far Apple has come: near instant AF with face autodetect and tracking, unlimited (!) continuous silent shooting, easy controls for shutter/aperture, advanced and immediate photo editing for highlights/black levels/exposure, etc. and the ability to immediately send photos, all of this in a pocketable package that has IS, a flash, and a screen bright enough to use in midday sun with a battery that can last for more than one day of heavy use.
    I think/hope Nikon realizes what is coming and may be that is why they slowly abandoning DX and lower products?
    There's no question iPhone photography has come a loooooong way. I'm on a watch forum and many of us post what watch we're wearing each day. It's so much simpler to take a picture of my watch instantly and post it to the forum. And the photo's my iPhone takes of the day's watch is rather fantastic.

As to why there wasn't something that was so revolutionary we'd all want to dump our gear and jump on something else actually gives me some peace. I'm not ready to dump my investment and start all over. Perhaps, incremental improvement is a good thing, yes?
    I think you are talking from your own point of view so should add IMHO or 'for my usage and budget' in there somewhere. What is best varies a great deal from person to person and situation to situation. The opinion of the magazine writers may not align with yours, but they will align with other peoples.

If you buy me the fastest PC around and give me a D810 with top level glass, I'd join that club too (probably), but for my level of budget, usage and supporting equipment, the D750 is the best camera in the world.
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited November 2014
    ..so should add IMHO
    Is not anything and everything, everyone or anyone posts; is just their opinion
    The fact the D400 is coming out next week next month, sometime, may be never
    is just a humble opinion

IMHO

Do we really have to put IMHO on all posts
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited November 2014
    .... For a little girl the latest Barbie edition camera is the most awesomest ever.
    exacly
    :)) :)) :)) :-* :-* :-*
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Number one, best, etc. are overblown whether camera or car ratings. I always say to go look at all of the "top ten" or "top five" rated in the category and see which fits you best and appeals to you most according to the use you have for it. But realistically, it is just a way to bestow an honor on an outstanding new product. Doesn't really mean more than that (not number 1 or best of the year for all purposes).
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I still think the D750 is the most awesomest ever !
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited November 2014
    Yes, best is completely subjective. But maybe we can just be slightly pleased that as people who have bought into Nikon as our photographic system of choice, Nikon made something this year the photographic press thought very highly of? We do after all, want Nikon to do well enough to keep their doors open, their engineers working and their gear to continue flowing to store shelves, right?

Hopefully what's best for you is already in your camera bag and that's great. Let's just not get bogged down with what's best for anyone else.
    Post edited by rbrylawski on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited November 2014
    The modern smartphone has its place in the world of photography, but to compare it to a DSLR given the plethora of images that a photographer uses it for is not in the same league....i.e astrophotograph, HDR photography, macro photography, sports photography, etc...etc.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Here's an example of one of the pictures I posted recently on my watch forum. Picture taken with my iPhone 6. Pretty darn good, if you ask me........

GS Forum Desk 4-23
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited November 2014
    Number one, best, etc. are overblown whether camera or car ratings. I always say to go look at all of the "top ten" or "top five" rated in the category and see which fits you best and appeals to you most according to the use you have for it. But realistically, it is just a way to bestow an honor on an outstanding new product. Doesn't really mean more than that (not number 1 or best of the year for all purposes).
    You bring up a good point, the car analogy is a good one. The Pontiac Aztek is widely considered a dud amongst auto enthusiasts and certainly one of the ugliest cars ever produced. However, those who did buy it love it for its utility. That doesn't mean it sold well, but everyone who did want one did buy one, and to them they were happy with it.

That doesn't make it a good product overall, but those who did buy it think it's great.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Every (insert here) of the year award is a joke and about as meaningful as those 100 most beautiful people in the world lists.
    When you win the photographer of the year award, and you will btw, we will remember not to congratulate you
    :P

But in general I agree with you, that 100 most beautiful person list is obviously garbage. I mean they did not even include me. :D
    edited November 2014
    Why it Won
    •Excellent image quality with well- controlled noise as ISO rises
    •Industry-leading 51-point 3D autofocus tracking system
    •Burst rate of 6.5 fps for up to 87 JPEG or 15 RAW frames
    •Built-in Wi-Fi for image transfer to—and control through—your mobile device
    •Tilting 3.2-inch, 1,129,000-dot LCD screen with brightness control
    •Well-designed, weather-sealed magnesium-alloy body
    •HD video recording at up to 1920x1080p 60 fps with clean HDMI out for external recorders

So what would be your camera of the year
    Sounds like you just may be in the minority then @PitchBlack B-)
    Always learning.
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Sounds like you just may be in the minority then @PitchBlack B-)
    All of this "camera of the year" stuff is just kind of silly anyway. D810/D750 appear to both be great cameras in capable hands. I'm sure if there were no such thing as a D810/D800. There are things about this camera I remain frustrated with (base ISO, low max shutter, 1/200th flash sync, smallish top LCD, no dedicated AF-On, semi-limited buffer, consumer layout/dials, etc) however there are elements that, for me, really work ($1,000 less, 6.5fps, better grip, WiFi, Tilt-Screen, 24Mp).

It's just a pick your tool for what you do kind of thing. Event/Wedding people I would think will gravitate towards that D750. Shooters that do the kind of thing that Mark does will go with the D810. I think either camera in both cases will actually be a great tool to whomever buys them. Nikon has really (finally) delivered us some pretty sweet Full-Frame products.
    @jonMcGuffin said: I think either camera in both cases will actually be a great tool to whomever buys them. Nikon has really (finally) delivered us some pretty sweet Full-Frame products.
    Look at the coverage of DSLR's and the quality you can get vs 5 or 8 years ago. The FX DSLR's are really good for what you get for your $$$$.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Bullet points are very impressive. You could make great bullet points for all of the following: the D810, the 645Z, the iPhone 6, the 645DF+ & IQ2 digital back. Heck, I'd take a D800 over a D750 any day of the week. So if I had to use as my criterion "what camera do I covet most? It would be the Phase One. If I had to choose a camera to use in *most* of my professional work? The D810. If my criteria was best anywhere camera? The iPhone6. Under no circumstances can I imagine choosing the D750 over another camera.
    I generally agree, but if I coveted the 85 1.4 and only had enough money for a D810 and a 85 1.8, I would buy the D750 and 85 1.4.