Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    Not sure what happened to my previous post, first it was doubled, then the one I didn't edit disappeared...
    Anyway, I pulled the trigger on a factory refurbished D750 body on nikon's site tonight. Can't wait for it to come in. Now I just have to pick out an FX lens to go with it.
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    Now I just have to pick out an FX lens to go with it.
    That's the hard part! So many to choose from.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Not sure what happened to my previous post, first it was doubled, then the one I didn't edit disappeared...
    That's a glitch the site has and it happens to most of us occasionally. When you see the double post, DO NOT DELETE anything, just hit the F5 button to refresh your screen and like magic, everything goes back to how you expect - the phantom disappears and leaves the post you intended.

BTW - if I were buying my D750 again, I would NOT get it with the 24-120 as IMHO it isn't up to the standard. I should have got the 24-70 (maybe Tamron @-) )

HTH.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    I'm leaning towards the sigma 25-105 f/4 as a general walk-around lens at the moment.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

I opted for the Tamron 24-84 f2.8 - very happy. In my kit previously were older 60mm and 105mm f2.8 Micros, 85mm f1.8, 50mm, a 70-300mm zoom, and now a 20mm f2.8.

I'm looking at adding a 105mm micro with VR and a 70-200mm f4.0 with VR. I might get the Sigma 150mm f2.8, but it's a tad pricier than the Nikon.

The D750 is quite remarkable. I've shot two shows and it hasn't disappointed.

\image

My best,

Mike
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    For those that have asked about battery life, I recharged my battery and shot 270 images yesterday and today. I used external flash, no flash, long exposure on a tripod, and about 10 shots with the internal flash. Results, after 270 images, I had 68% battery life. Used Aperture Priority mode for 95% of the shots.

That is not too bad but I had expected a higher number. Not disappointed since this was only the 3rd charge on this battery. That projects to over 810 images with 4% remaining.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    It looks like it could be more to do with rear screen use (live view) then as this time of the year I tend to do more night stuff and that always means more live view. BUT I also use the excellent D7100 for night shooting and that is waaay better on battery life with the same useage profile.
    Always learning.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    @Photobug: Thanks for the update on Battery Life.. I'm inclined to agree with @SpraynPray that it's the use of the rear screen and Live View which drains it extremely quickly - and I can confirm that my D7100 is also waaay better on battery life when using the rear screen...

On another note, sadly, I've discovered that my D750 suffers from the strange dark banded flare issue!!
    I had tested for it previously at home with quite strong light source, but it obviously wasn't strong enough or something as I couldn't produce the problem flare...Then...
    I took some photos on Christmas day at my Sister's and the main room light in the centre of the ceiling was switched on and a couple of the pics have the flare (with the dark band along the top edge) on them... bummer.

I had noticed when I got the camera that I needed to push the diopter adjustment almost to the end (something which I haven't done with my D7100.. there it's adjusted almost centrally!!), I'm not sure if that's related in some way (probably not)..

When I'm back home after new year, I'll contact Nikon and see what they say...

Otherwise, I'm really impressed with the camera... I can take pictures at ISO's I wouldn't dream of using with the D7100 and am really pleased with them.

The flippy tilty rear screen is brill (just a shame that Liveview devours the battery charge)...

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    edited December 2014
    @bald_eagle: Sorry to hear of you flair problem. I was out for a walk yesterday and did another flair test and I'm good. Little lens flair of course but other wise very good.

BTW: Love the way the D750 handles highlights! I just set the camera to aperture priority and didn't think about the exposure at all. Sure the sun is blown out but I did lose a single highlight in any of my snow shoots. With other cameras I would have had to be a lot of exposure compensation not to lose highlight detail.

D750 Flair test

Nikon D750
    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0
    ƒ/11.0 24.0 mm 1/250 100iso
    Post edited by Andrewz on
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
    edited December 2014
    Okay one more..... Love the Dynamic range of this camera. This isn't the most beautiful image but a great shot to show the dynamic range. Didn't lose any Highlight or shadow detail.

D750 Love that dynamic range

Nikon D750
    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0
    ƒ/11.0 24.0 mm 1/160 100iso

Again Camera on Aperture priority and No exposure compensation.
    Post edited by Andrewz on

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
    Okay I know I already said one more but just one more....

For all you 24-120 f/4.0 Haters ;-)

I got the 24-120 with the D750 in the kit because it was a good deal at the time and I was a little short on FX lenses. I must say it ain't that bad. Sure it's not going to be as sharp as a prime and it's not pro-glass but it you use it right shoot in the middle of the lens (not wide open or closed down) it's sharpness is okay. It's way better than my old 18-200 DX lens.

Maddie at Fort Snelling

Not bad for a snap shot! Oops and this is wide open. Bokehs not to bad for f/4 either.

Nikon D750
    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0
    ƒ/4.0 100.0 mm 1/1250 100iso

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited December 2014
    For those that have experienced or have heard about the D750 "Flare Issue" Photographylife has a very good response.

Flare Shading Issue by Nasim

In short:
    ...the D750 is an amazing camera. Whether some units have this particular issue or not will not matter for most people and most situations, so do not get overly concerned about it. When Nikon deserved negative attention, whether it was for the D800 AF issues or the D600 dust issues, we at Photography Life wrote about those extensively, hoping for Nikon’s response and action. But in the case of the D750, I personally do not consider the flare shading issue to be worthy of a recall or service advisory. Use lens hoods and do not shoot in mid-day sun at weird angles that cause this shading effect. If you see it in your photo, just recompose the image slightly and you will be set. Chances are, your photo will not look good at that particular angle anyway, due to so many internal lens and camera reflections. Above all, enjoy the process of taking pictures and keep on clicking, instead of spending your valuable time reading up on such issues on the Internet, where things are known to quickly get too much attention…
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Golf007sd said:
    For those that have experienced or have heard about the D750 "Flare Issue" Photographylife has a very good response.

Flare Shading Issue by Nasim

In short:

...the D750 is an amazing camera. Whether some units have this particular issue or not will not matter for most people and most situations, so do not get overly concerned about it. When Nikon deserved negative attention, whether it was for the D800 AF issues or the D600 dust issues, we at Photography Life wrote about those extensively, hoping for Nikon’s response and action. But in the case of the D750, I personally do not consider the flare shading issue to be worthy of a recall or service advisory. Use lens hoods and do not shoot in mid-day sun at weird angles that cause this shading effect. If you see it in your photo, just recompose the image slightly and you will be set. Chances are, your photo will not look good at that particular angle anyway, due to so many internal lens and camera reflections. Above all, enjoy the process of taking pictures and keep on clicking, instead of spending your valuable time reading up on such issues on the Internet, where things are known to quickly get too much attention…

Thanks Golf007sd for that info, however, I must strongly disagree with Nasim's response to this problem on a number of points:

He says to "use lens hoods" to avoid the problem - I always use lens hoods except where using one would interfere with on camera flash.. The use of a lens hood has absolutely no effect on the problem

He says "do not shoot in mid-day sun at weird angles" - When I first discovered that my D750 exhibits the problem, I had taken the pictures in my Sister's lounge which only has 1 central overhead ceiling light.. just across the room (absolutely no weird angles involved!!!!)

He says to recompose "if you see it in your photo" - hmm... First recomposing would mean missing many special moments... secondly,IT CAN'T BE SEEN IN THE VIEWFINDER, so most times when you get it, you won't know until you review the photos.. I don't "chimp" so that could be several hours later - fat chance of "recomposing" then!! I wouldn't have a problem if you could see the flare in the viewfinder I could deal with it then.. but you just can't see it!!
    Several of my family's Christmas photos are now spoiled by this awful flare with shadow across the top edge - they simply can't be re-created!!!

Other than this slightly annoying flare problem, the D750 is an amazing camera, but this problem simply shouldn't be there!!!
    Nikon SHOULD DEFINITELY come up with a fix and issue a Service Advisory. I don't consider a recall necessary if not all D750s are affected, and, if not all D750s are affected, it must be fixable!!

As I said in my previous post, I'll be contacting Nikon after the new year, let's see what they say!!

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @bald_eagle: I understand what you mean and sympathize. Yet, I also found it interesting that he showed that this type of flare, is not just with the D750. He clearly shows that this can be replicated with a number of other bodies..both on Nikon, as well as, Canon's.

Personally, I have never had such an issue with my D4 or D7000 (the D7000 had a minor "hot pixel" issue which was fixed by Nikon with a firmware update in a reasonable time frame.)

Please let us know what Nikon has to say when you reach out to them.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    To provide some answers for several topics in here.... i will say:

1. I am also concerned about the battery of the D750.... a week ago, the battery was completely drained just for shooting like 45 minutes of video.... without taking a picture.... to be fair, i don't think that the battery was at 100%...but it was over 80%..... will do some test again and if it fails, maybe a second battery will be my next purchase.....

2. Also, I took a look into my D750 body and other pictures and gladly i don't has the "flare" issue... just the small white spot of flare generated by the UV filter (i am throwing it away)... Now, I am using the Sigma 24-105 F4 Art lens... it is a big lens so I don't know if that is helping me in not getting the flare.. but the sensor in the body looks like 1mm below of the hole of the mirror... this is my first Full Frame and my wife gave it to me as a birthday, xmas and anniversary gift of the next 2 years... But i feel very sad for the people who got a bad body.... I saw a post that Nikon is looking at that problem... I wish the best of luck for a good resolution about it for everyone affected.

3. @Andrewz great pictures! :O
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
    Okay I know I already said one more but just one more....

For all you 24-120 f/4.0 Haters ;-)

I got the 24-120 with the D750 in the kit because it was a good deal at the time and I was a little short on FX lenses. I must say it ain't that bad. Sure it's not going to be as sharp as a prime and it's not pro-glass but it you use it right shoot in the middle of the lens (not wide open or closed down) it's sharpness is okay. It's way better than my old 18-200 DX lens.

Maddie at Fort Snelling

Not bad for a snap shot! Oops and this is wide open. Bokehs not to bad for f/4 either.

Nikon D750
    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0
    ƒ/4.0 100.0 mm 1/1250 100iso

I can honestly say that I'm not a 24-120 hater, I'm just underwhelmed by it. It should perform better like it's stablemate, the 70-200 f4. All due respect Andrewz, your snapshot (your words) is not going to test anything too hard, especially at that size.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Have you all discussed the internal reflection issue with the D750? And, has then been experienced by those using it in everyday shoots or just in the extreme backlighted shots?
    Msmoto, mod
    @MSMoto: In my case, the internal reflection/flare issue only actually reared its head when taking ordinary everyday shots. :(
    Actually, they were shots taken across my sister's lounge ( which has 1 central ceiling light) of my family unwrapping their Christmas presents...
    Absolutely no strong mid-day sun or weird/quirky angles and actually no backlighting at all (since the ceiling light was always between me and whoever was opening the present!) ;)
    Several family photos spoiled by the distracting flare and shadow!

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

1. I am also concerned about the battery of the D750.... a week ago, the battery was completely drained just for shooting like 45 minutes of video....
    Perfectly normal. Video recording or liveview shooting will drain the battery very quickly.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • D750newbieD750newbie Posts: 20Member
    Can someone post a picture with the flare? I haven't noticed it yet and been shooting in all kinds of light.
    @bald_eagle care to share some of the pictures with the flare?

Does anyone know where Nikon ships stuff you buy from their site from? My refurbished D750 should be shipping out tomorrow and I'm curious as to where it'll be shipping from so I have an idea of how long it'll take to get here.

Apparently the sigma 24-105 is backordered everywhere, so my options are to get one used from Amazon or consider getting the sigma 50mm f/1.5 art... which I'm sure I would love, but I think a general walking about lens would be the better purchase for initial FX glass since I'm going on vacation in about a month.
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member

Does anyone know where Nikon ships stuff you buy from their site from? My refurbished D750 should be shipping out tomorrow and I'm curious as to where it'll be shipping from so I have an idea of how long it'll take to get here.
    I just ordered a refurbished 105mm VR macro from Nikon USA and it shipped from Maspeth, NY, United States.
    @spraynpray: or should I say "Not a Hater" ;-) said:

" I can honestly say that I'm not a 24-120 hater, I'm just underwhelmed by it. It should perform better like it's stablemate, the 70-200 f4. ..."

So what exactly underwhelmed you? It won't perform like the 70-200 optically because it's not a 70-200.

Using DXO mark for objective data, the 24-120 f/4.0 is certainly better than the 3.5-5.6 version. There really aren’t any direct comparisons in the after-market lenses, there’s the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 both of which really aren’t any better (no worse either). Really if you’re looking at one of them you’re far better off with the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 because it is significantly better and has the price to go with it. The Sigma 24-104 Art lens sound very interesting but hasn’t been reviewed, it does sound like it could give Nikon a run for their money.

Another thing the Nikon 70-200 is kind of in a class of it’s own. Nikon has been making lenses in this range for what? 50 years? They know how to make them and they are great. I have the older 80-200 f/2.8D, it’s so good I have found a reason to upgrade.

As far as my snapshot (no offence taken) I was looking at the RAW file as well as the JPG and frankly at 200% it’s pretty sharp. You can go to zumbachphotography.com, it will just re-direct you to my Flickr page and see the full Res JPG.

Funny thing, like I said I only got the lenses because it was a good deal. I was told Nikon probably put it in the kit because it wasn’t selling well on it's own. So I wasn’t expecting much and have been pleasantly surprised.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2014
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.