Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @spraynpray: or should I say "Not a Hater" ;-) said:

" I can honestly say that I'm not a 24-120 hater, I'm just underwhelmed by it. It should perform better like it's stablemate, the 70-200 f4. ..."

So what exactly underwhelmed you? It won't perform like the 70-200 optically because it's not a 70-200.

Using DXO mark for objective data, the 24-120 f/4.0 is certainly better than the 3.5-5.6 version. There really aren’t any direct comparisons in the after-market lenses, there’s the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 both of which really aren’t any better (no worse either). Really if you’re looking at one of them you’re far better off with the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 because it is significantly better and has the price to go with it. The Sigma 24-104 Art lens sound very interesting but hasn’t been reviewed, it does sound like it could give Nikon a run for their money.

Another thing the Nikon 70-200 is kind of in a class of it’s own. Nikon has been making lenses in this range for what? 50 years? They know how to make them and they are great. I have the older 80-200 f/2.8D, it’s so good I have found a reason to upgrade.

As far as my snapshot (no offence taken) I was looking at the RAW file as well as the JPG and frankly at 200% it’s pretty sharp. You can go to zumbachphotography.com, it will just re-direct you to my Flickr page and see the full Res JPG.

Funny thing, like I said I only got the lenses because it was a good deal. I was told Nikon probably put it in the kit because it wasn’t selling well on it's own. So I wasn’t expecting much and have been pleasantly surprised.

If you compare the 70-200 f4 on DxO, it runs the f2.8 pretty close, beating it on sharpness (normal for a slower lens) and very close on the other metrics but if you compare the 24-120 to the 24-70 Nikon and Tamron, it isn't as close. The price difference in these lenses is reflected enough by the chasm in build quality, they should be similar (and sharper) in performance. DxOMark aside, I find the distortion very high and vignetting unacceptable. Those coupled with VR that is only 'OK' and sharpness that is inferior to both the faster lenses make me say the lens isn't a wow for me. I would have preferred a 24-70 f4 that compared to the 2.8 like the 70-200's compare (as I would expect them to).

I'll take a look at your raw later.

Happy New Year Andrewz.
    Re flare issue, Nikon is said to working on fix already.
    https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19336/session/L3RpbWUvMTQxOTg3MzI4Mi9zaWQvdkN5MWQ3Ym0%3D
    Let's hope it isn't gaffer tape like on the blog... :P
    Always learning.
  • CrossFireSCrossFireS Posts: 1Member
    I wonder about how Nikon warranty work in US or any other place (Except Thailand)

D750 kit here in Thailand come with warranty card with a stamp in Thai said "As the products were sold as bundle, both warranty card must be present when getting service (This only applicable for receiving service in Thailand ONLY)"

I find this quiet ridiculous as other kit for smaller body don't have this. Are you guy having similar thing happen with your D750 kit?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Not in my experience, but I registered on line and I don't know if you have that facility. When any component fails, they ask to see the till receipt to prove its age.
    Always learning.
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    Ordered the like-new used sigma 24-105 f/4 and it should be here on Friday along with the D750 body. I'm very excited and can't wait to try out the combo.
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    @calengor i love that combo.... just don't like the weight after 1 hour.... :S
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Although the announcement is on the main blog, here is the link to the official Nikon statement regarding flair from the inside of the D750.
    https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19336

Here is the link to the manual for perspective buyers, both English & Spanish:
    https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19237/related/1

And here is the link to the firmware update:
    https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19320

Enjoy.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Installed the D750 firmware C: 1.01 update tonight. No issues and it only pulled the battery down 1%. It took longer than some firmware updates I have done on D90, D300, and D7100 DSLR's. For those timid individuals, the instructions are written for dummies - it was easy but then again been doing updates for years.

Also turned on the Wi-Fi tonight on the D750 and used the Nikon App to control the camera, take the picture and to download pictures to my Motorola Android phone. My comparison below is against the dongle on the D7100.

The Wi-Fi was easy to turn on and connected in less than 10 seconds. No issues like the first two times on my D7100. The speed is much faster than using the dongle on the D7100 for downloading images. Took 4 pictures, and immediately sent them via email to several people. The connection reliability is superior to the dongle. No dropped connection or hanging that I have had with the D7100 and WMU app. I was impressed.

I also noticed that image size was small but when I viewed the image on the monitor, it was terrific. My opinion, it works very nice with no issues. I did not notice a big drop in battery usage while I had in on but I am sure it was a drain.

Highly recommend you get the app and explore the features of the WMU.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Frustration, UPS tried to deliver my D750 today, but requires a signature, won't accept online signatures or holding for will call because Nikon didn't authorize it, and after calling Nikon, they won't change the delivery options either, so it looks like the weekend I thought I was going to have with my new D750 isn't happening since they won't even try to deliver again until Monday. Grr.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    @calengor Can you pick it up later tonight or tomorrow at the UPS depot?
    No, they explicitly disallowed picking it up at the UPS depot. I'm not sure why, as I can't figure out the difference between my signature at the house vs my signature at the depot.
    Sorry to hear that.
    After some finagling at the UPS depot, I received my new camera :D

Unfortunately, the "used - like new" sigma 24-105 f/4 that also came in today from Amazon was not so much "like new"... It looked pristine, but the autofocus did not work, and the manual focus didn't either... So it got returned, and I'm having to make do with my 35mm DX on the D750 in FX mode.

I know I got the focus on the wrong eye, but the ISO performance is already winning me over, since I never liked the D7100 over ISO 800
    D750 | 35mm f/1.8 DX | f/1.8 | 1/40 sec | ISO 1600
    Do you want to borrow my 50mm 1.8 FX lens?
    @Hammie

Thanks for lending me the 50mm:
    D750 | 50mm f/1.8 | f/2.0 | 1/40 sec | ISO 1000
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    So, after using my D750 for a little over a week, I have my own thoughts about it in comparison to my D300 based on how I use my cameras.

First, the Pros:

- Great low light ISO quality -- I can jack up the ISO to 12800 and get clearer pictures than my D300 at ISO 1600. I do a lot of night street photography, so this is a welcome benefit.
    - Better detail when cropping -- I know this is due to 24MP versus 12MP.
    - Lighter weight -- Always welcome, when carrying a camera around town.
    - Wi-fi -- I have used this quite a few times to share photos with people via e-mail and text or upload them to a website.

Now, the Cons:

- Button layouts
    --> No dial for metering changes (Now it requires me to take my eye away from the viewfinder and use two hands). I liked the fact that I could use my thumb and change on the fly.
    --> No switch for focusing changes (Now it requires me to take my eye away from the viewfinder and use two hands). I like that I could use my thumb and change on the fly
    --> ISO button on back versus on top (Now it requires me to take my eye away from the viewfinder and use two hands)
    --> No Mode button -- Although I can rotate the dial, I was used to the mode button on the fly and see what mode I was in through the viewfinder.
    - No GPS notification on top screen or with a beep -- I use GPS a lot and have had a few shots where the GPS did not activate when I got home
    - Accessory port versus 10-pin -- Since I use a Solmeta GPS module, the accessory connection on the side is more susceptible to get knocked out than the 10-pin connection. I may consider getting the connector that points downward even though it will black the Mic connectors and see that is better. The current one that points upward seems to get bumped out from the strap connector.

Other thoughts:

- I rarely used Live View in the past, and have only used it once or twice since getting it. Therefore, the larger flip screen has been of no real benefit to me.
    - So far, I have had no need for the video function. The only video that I have done in the past is of my kids and my Panasonic P&S has done a great job in a pinch. I may try recording my sons next band concert, but we'll see what happens.
    - Most of my Cons are just part of a learning curve with a new camera. However, with the addition of the Scenes and Effects and lack of one button/switch changes, I sort of feel that I downgraded from a Prosumer model to a Consumer model.

Granted, I love this camera and would not give it up for anything (except maybe a D750 with more Pro controls :-) ). I just felt like sharing my thoughts after using it for a short while. I now the D810 would give me the controls that I am missing, but for $700 more, I don't feel that I need them THAT much. Plus, I do not need 36MP.
    @Hammie,

Press the button on the AF/M switch on the side of the camera and hold it while spinning the rear wheel to change through AF-S, AF-C, and AF-A; front wheel to change number of focus points. Everything you do is viewable in the viewfinder.

For metering, keeping your eye in the viewfinder, take your index finger off the shutter and press the metering button to the left and bottom of the shutter, and use the rear wheel to cycle through the metering modes. Everything you do is viewable in the viewfinder.

You get used to where the buttons are on the back and will be able to use them without removing your eye from the viewfinder. I'm used to the layout since it mostly carries over from the D7100, so it's less of a learning curve for me.

If you're used to using back button focus and don't mind changing the AF/AE-lock there's some instructions here that work for both the D7100 and the D750.
    @calengor

Oh, I agree that I will learn all the functions just as I did with my old camera. My old camera just had single finger functions to change most of those things. It was just a bit easier.

In the grand scheme of things, it is not a big deal. I was just sharing my thoughts for anyone coming from an older Prosumer DX body. I have read that the layout is very close to the D6x0/D7x00 models.

Thanks for the input!
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    @Hammie,

I feel your pain. I come from the D300 world as well. The other day I was out shooting and forgot how to change the focus mode. Almost drove myself crazy looking in the menus. Of course after I looked it up online I felt stupid.
    :\">
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
    @Andrewz

I'm glad I am not alone. :-h
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    I come from having used a D300, D300s, D700, D3 and D800, but I don't really feel bent out of shape for lacking the controls. I guess the quality of the cameras results and the feel in my hands are enough to keep me pretty pleased about the camera. I would be happier with the same control set up, but I have yet to feel like its held me back in any way at all.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    At least Nikon has taken a pro active stance on this issue of reflection and has not done the Ostrich trick as was offered with the D600..... Maybe there is hope?

And, maybe this suggests some major changes within Nikon have taken place, either in actual personnel, or in a very clear change in philosophy dictated by some folks of high importance.
    Msmoto, mod
  • D750newbieD750newbie Posts: 20Member
    Just installed the update. Has anyone notice changes?
    edited January 2015
    Just installed the update. Has anyone notice changes?
    I have not seen any changes in the camera operation or picture image quality in those modes mentioned in the update directions.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    So, in today's PAD submission, I shared that my D750 started showing a blinking 'Err' message on the top screen. The manual states this is a camera malfunction.

After digging around a bit on the Internet, I found another Nikon forum that had a topic regarding the same issue. After some troubleshooting based on the thread, it seems like one of my SD cards was causing the error. I have removed it from my camera and placed the SD card from Slot 2 into Slot 1. Since the removal, I have not had the issue... *touches wood*