Dangers From Being A Photog?

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I was attached by a grizzly and used a 7mm Remington Magnum to put it down. I consider it a little light for Grizzlies, but it did the job.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Yes, for sure, one's perspective is so altered through the camera. And, trains are big, so when close one does not recognize how close they actually are, that if a part of the body gets hit, often it pulls the subject into the train, and they are really kind of hard when one hits....

Here, a shot from a long distance, yet it may appear to be fairly close...... 23 m or 83 feet.

Greensboro_Flyers_01.10.15
    Msmoto, mod
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    @MsMoto, after dancing around the lumbering beasts in Chama last fall, I found it amazing they let us wander around there at all.
    And yes, shooting an approaching locomotive with a wide-angle brings new meaning to the "objects in mirror are closer than they look" warning on your car. You have to watch out for protruding devices like valve gear, and keep some distance from the steam exhaust. I chased the train with another photog, he brought us to a location where we each took a side of the tracks as the train passed. He said, "find the tips of the ties, and put your self and arms-length from there." I was up against a fence and some dense woods; as the train approached, I had a hard time resolving the conflict between shooting through the viewfinder and bolting into the forest. And after all that, I didn't get a shot worth posting...
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    I'd read to be REALLY careful around moving objects when using a fisheye lens. Airplane propellors come to mind.
  • GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    It is probably good that I don't shoot more landscape or wildlife because when with a camera in hand I will put myself in harms way. Nothing like running up to a Grizzly, but while we were in Australia a few years ago wife suddenly yelled to the kids to get out of the water because she saw something large moving in the water towards the kids. Without thinking I grabbed the camera and ran out and got a shot (Turned out to be a stingray.. https://flic.kr/p/aZQgGz ). Wife wasn't pleased ...
    Most time the danger for me will be not looking where I'm walking as I'm looking for the best angle while walking someplace where one should be focused on the ground....

Question I do get asked quite often "what if a client or model have a very jealous boyfriend or angry father?"...
    I really don't have a good answer to as I've not given it a lot of thought and I don't plan to either unless I'd travel to a country where women are not respected enough to decide over their own lives... like Saudi Arabia.
    D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    This is what happens when a photog leans on the wall and starts day dreaming.
    This happened today at our track, not sure who took this shot or if the photog is alright.

Idiot
    For sure, standing behind what appears to be a single retaining wall may prove unfortunate. But, with camera in hand, we all might be a bit more of a risk taker. Here is one shot at 190mm on full frame, very close to the cars as they go by, and on the outside of the corner.

Bowman_Gray_Stadium_II_08.16.14

However, two factors, in addition to the concrete wall is a triple Armco barrier, and I am about eight feet above the track surface both of which can be seen in other photos in this series. 8-|
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Here is an interesting article on the dangers and legal issues relating to photography.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/vancouver/Social+media+vigilante+exposes+unwanted+Wreck+Beach/11053151/story.html
    That seems to be more about perverts with cameras than dangers and legal issues. Very interesting that the local police encouraged nudists to throw the photographers camera into the sea though... @-) I'd like to see how that would turn out in court.
    Always learning.
    It was not the police encouraging that. That was a comment by one of the nudists. That act would likely qualify as a criminal assault in of itself.

The interesting legal point is a precedent referred to in the article. It says that if there is no reasonable expectation of privacy, which would not exist on a nude beach, legally you can take all the pictures you want. Practically, you may need to bring some heat to defend yourself.

The precedent also referred to the voyerism law that exists in Canada. For this to apply, the expectation of privacy would also need to exist. Additionally, it would need to be proven that you were serepticiosly taking photos. Both facts need to occur before the law applies.

Now I have no interest in taking photos on a nude beach (well maybe of a model). However, it is good to know where the legal line exists. Certainly, in almost any street or candid situation, you are easily on the right side of the line in the US and Canada.
    It was not the police encouraging that. That was a comment by one of the nudists. That act would likely qualify as a criminal assault in of itself.
    You're quite right, I stand corrected.
    Always learning.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited June 2015
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/06/10/model-photographer-injured-in-photo-shoot-explosion/

A Truly Very sad story coming out of South Florida from a couple of days ago. The female involved is reportedly a mother of 2.
    (not sure if the link is going to work - also it seems that every news website is full of ads)
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

Yikes.
    Always learning.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    That is a very sad story. A very hard lesson to learn the hard way -- before using open flames, be sure to check the area for flammables.

Burns are the worst. She may never fully recover if she has that much burning. Tragic. :(
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I was up on the roof of a 33 story building with my D700 and my 80-200 AF-D years ago and came within 20 feet of a full grown red tail hawk and he was just sitting on the railing staring at me. I slowly started walking toward him with the 80-200 photographing him before he flew, luckily he was use to people downtown and did not come after me....

It was an interesting encounter at that close of a range.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    burn

I didn't shoot this.

This shows what a violent mess the Nitro Harley's are becoming.
    If he would have been at the line when this happened some photogs would have been burned.

When I shoot these Nitro Harley's I'm 200ft down the track.
    The picture I posted a while back with a Nitro Harley exploding at the line had metal flying everywhere.
    How no one got hurt in that one is beyond me.
    edited December 2015
    Sometimes we are so caught up in taking the photo we forget to have a bit of caution....I suppose I was less than 20 feet from this:
    Crash H-Fairgrounds_Sequence_Eight

The four wheelers were traveling maybe 45 mph...
    D4, 70-200mm at 112mm..... f/5.6, 1/320 sec, ISO 12,800

Oh, yes, the driverless one had a broken motor, so stopped on the inner cushion.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Yikes, it took me a few seconds to locate the "missing" driver. :(
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    FYI, the full sequence is here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/albums/72157653498812978

And, while it appears the fallen driver was injured, one must remember there is no weight on the inside wheels when going around the corner at 45-50 mph. So, after 10 seconds of moaning he jumped up, ran to his four wheeler and tried to get it restarted....to no avail.
    Msmoto, mod
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    The left horn is just inches away while getting a shot of the right horn. What was I thinking?

TheHorn_4721
    @FreezeAction

Thinking? What is that? I suspect as many of us do, we get totally involved in capturing the mage and do not respect the risks as much as maybe we should.

And, i suspect i will be doing the dirt track motorcycles/four wheelers again this year up in Plymouth, Wisconsin, standing in the same spot...

Msmoto, mod
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I think next Saturday night I will be back on my stool out of harms way where I can get the angle and composition I want safely... :)