Post release mishaps, How do we stack up?

limeblulimeblu Posts: 34Member
edited January 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I joined the Nikon DSLR clan by chance. My Mother purchased a Canon t3 and showed it to me, I had just read something explaining the benefits of a DSLR vs Point&Shoot, Mom had no idea what she had. She still doesn't, she uses it in auto and as a point&shoot. I on the other hand had just caught the fever, I tried hers and then began reading and reading and reading. I found out that it would be good to hold a Nikon and canon and see which feels best. Well I picked up a Nikon and it was perfect, It conformed to my hand I turned it on and the menus were great, it made the Canon look and feel cheap (It was not a D800 vs 5d mark iii).
Now to my point. If I had read about the D600 oil issues and the D750 mishap I am not so sure I would have chosen this path. Although, it would have taken quite a bit to get me to look past the cheap looking crappy menu setup on the canons. Either way, It seems like Nikon has been having its fair share of issues that without a doubt would not have occurred if they were not in such a hurry to push them out and taken time to go full out with the R&D. I was not sure how to google this so I am asking. How does Nikon stack up to all of the other camera manufacturers when it comes to post release issues, I am not talking about a spelling mistake in the manual, The big time ball drops, seeping oil, reflections that ruin images, things that make you say holy shit, some poor fellow Nikon shooters saved their cash, bought that rig and now they are stuck with a bandaged piece of equipment that is their pride and joy, still has that brand new camera smell, but it had to be fixed before it was even broken, in. I would be livid and I honestly can't imagine the pure disappointment that must be felt. I will not buy anything now until at least a year after release, so yes these mishaps have taught me one thing, A little patience. Not trying to rattle any cages here, just curious to hear if the other big players in the market have had any epic fails and if so, please let us know.

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2015
    As you suspected, Yeah everyone has had their share of lemons not just camera manufacturers. however the D600 was more of a pomelo.

The D750 issue is not major and Nikon has seemed to have learnt its lesson from the D600 mess.. seriously though I don't pay much attention to the other brands but I have heard of some but promtly forgot what they were as it does not effect me. I am sure google may find you some but its really a non issue.

if i remember right there were light leaks in one of the canon lenses, AF issues in the 7D .. others may have better memories of issues...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• For this Dutch guy Hearty, what is - a pomelo - ?

I have the super camera Nikon D600 for 2 years now and after Nikon changed the shutter, the oil problem was gone. Nikon service center cleans this camera for free now and when they did this a half year ago, they changed the shutter again into a new and better one, when I was waiting for the cleaning.

On the Canon forum, I saw that they also had - oil problems - with there camera's, only the focus was on the Nikon D600 in that time.

The main Nikon thing for me is that Nikon makes great quality lenses and keep the same mount on all there DSLR's, no need to buy new lenses when a new camera comes out. Further you can look at the DxO tables to see which camera's are the best when tested in laboratory conditions, but this is only an indication for me, I prefer my own field test.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2015
    My first Nikon, a Nikon F was bought nearly 50 years ago My current is a D800 and without question the best camera I have ever owned, I ordered it on release, it now is nearly 3 years old, had It developed a fault, I would have simply reverted back to my D700
    If Nikon brought out a significant improvement to the D800 , I would order it immediately ( but I would not sell my D800)

Over the years I have used other cameras; non, apart from a 5x4 Linhof, matches Nikon's quality

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2015
    Pomelo .. LOL . its a fruit like a lemon except its 10 to 20 times bigger and can leave a bitter after taste .. ;-)

but if you can acquire a taste for its bitterness its really quite yummy ( like the D600 ! )
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Oh my, yes, these cameras sometimes have issues, and Nikon has made some decisions which some of us believe to be not very customer oriented. However, I can say both the D800E and D4 have various issues in how I manage them, virtually ever problem I have is created by me and the fact I do not know how to use the equipment.

The dirt issue of the D600 is the only issue which I think Nikon really did screw up, initially at least, but eventually if one were persistent Nikon would replace the camera with a D610.

Canon has, I am certain, had their share of issues as well, but one must go to the Canon forums to find out what these are.

From the pros i have talked with, the primary differences between Nikon and Canon are in the focusing and lens sharpness, neither of which is really significant in the real world. I think the editing in camera of the Canon EOS 1D X is much more convenient than Nikon, but who am I to say?
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    There are many advantages to owning a Canon, there are many advantages to owning a Nikon. You pays your money and you takes your choice. If you think the other marque is better, you sell the one you've got before you get too invested in system accessories to do so. Trouble is, when you do that, all you can focus on is the best bits of the one you just owned. Those gadget-heads will never be happy, and likely never be a good photographer because they aren't in the right place mentally to be a good photographer.

However, this thread is about how are 'we' (Nikon) doing. Lately - very poorly. Previously - very well. Thing is, putting all this s**t right is costing them money (not to mention lost reputation and sales) and that is the best medicine to stop it happening in the future. It is likely that heads will roll and lessons learned. Could be the model refresh-rate is at bursting point (I think that is the problem).
    Always learning.
    edited January 2015
    when one considers how complected modern cameras are
    (The Nikon F had: no autofocus, no auto exposure, if fact very little to go wrong )
    It is amazing how reliable todays cameras are

Today's customers want reliability, plus more and more features, at higher and higher speeds

If you want reliability and are prepared to pay just get a bullet proof D4

• limeblulimeblu Posts: 34Member
    I totally agree with the refresh being way to high.I look at the D5xxx rate and it blows my mind. It isn't even like massive upgrades. Might be better to wait 2 or 3 cycles and release something truly updated with major advancement. I love my Nikon and growing pains are inevitable, look at automobiles. I am thankful for what I have but I hear you on the D4, would be nice.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    Although I am an Apple fan, I think they have ruined it for the electronics industry. Releasing a new model every year has made people expect this across the board, IMO.

Of course, not having competitors on the same upgrade schedule doesn't help. Nikon releases model x with y features, then Canon releases their model with y feature PLUS this newer gizmo feature. Nikon needs to play catch up so they release a new model the following year. The cycle goes on and on and on.

I remember the days when it was not the gaming system that changed every year, but the newest game. Now, it seems like my kids want a new gaming system every year just so they can play the newest game... :-(
    Never thought about that but so true. Used to be years between systems. Bad thing is that us, the puppets, follow along. U love tech, but need to sit back and enjoy what we have every so often instead of always reaching for the newer one. I think bif brother knows us better then we do.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2015
    Although I am an Apple fan, I think they have ruined it for the electronics industry. Releasing a new model every year has made people expect this across the board, IMO.(
    This is not something Apple did specifically, it's simply been a general trend in the electronics industry since the late 1980's. The likes of Dell, HP, Intel etc were just as much behind this trend as Apple.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited January 2015
    You are a difficult lot to please :)

One second you are complaining, If Canon can do abc and Sony can do xyz , why can't Nikon
    the next, you are complaining Nikon are bringing out too many new models
    I appreciate not everyone can afford a D4 but the tried and tested D7100 seems something of a bargain at the moment

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    New things come and go, but some people get upset because they like to have the latest and greatest and feel upset when that is no longer the case.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    That is a hard road. I think everyone loves new and exciting but we all want top quality. I think it is a balancing act and if one outbalances the other people get upset. Definitely can never win but I am apt to want quality over quantity in most cases.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Quality issues due happen. Nikon screwed up on the D600 and they finally stepped up to the plate. Recently their customer service has been less than desirable, but the have turned the ship around from that perspective.

DSLR's are sophisticated and things happen. Canon, Sony, Pentax, and Nikon have had their issues. Overall, Nikon My D7100 is 16 months old and it's doing fine. My D750 has a flair issue but if I am careful I can "manage" this issue until I return it to Nikon.

Nikon's ergonomics and optics and AF system are really good. Don't think you can go wrong with Nikon or Canon...buy what fits your hands and feels right. Both are gong to do a great job. Would the past issues stop me from buying another Nikon...NO WAY. My manufacturing and assembly experience tells me they will tighten up their quality and if they are "smart", will improve their Customer Support.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I've read all the comments and I still don't get it. Yes, the D600 had issues and yes Nikon was slow to respond but they did. Not defending their lethargic plan but again, they did do the right thing in the end. The D750 has an issue that some can't replicate. It's an issue that wouldn't be noticed by most even if every camera was affected. They (Nikon) responded and it's being fixed. Now, for those that keep beating the dead horse about new models coming out, if Nikon didn't do that the conversation here would center around "When will they update the XXXXX." My take is, you don't like the update, don't purchase it. I don't care how much money Nikon makes as long as they keep making products I like. Yes (for the original poster) even Canon has had some mishaps. The 5Dmkiii had a light leak issue. Did every Canon shooter jump ship? No! Because we pick the manufacturer we like and stick with it. I'm also tired of hearing "If I wasn't so invested in glass.....blah, blah, blah." I'm heavily invested glass but that's not why I stick with Nikon. To the contrary, I'm invested in Nikon glass and bodies because I love the product. Watching posts here is like tending to my children, always complaining whithout considering how good they have it. For all the folks here that just come to the forum to rant about how terrible Nikon is I have to ask, "Why do you own one?" Or, do you? It's been said many times, quit complaining and start shooting.
    To sum up a reply to OP, sometimes the best way to purchase is to do just what you did. Hold, fondle it, fall in love with it. Aesthetics and the tactile process will typically lead you in the right direction. If that weren't the case, everyone would drive a Volkswagen since it's one of the most reliable cars in the world. But what fun would the world be if everyone drove a beetle?
    edited January 2015
    ......Watching posts here is like tending to my children.....

...... If that weren't the case, everyone would drive a Volkswagen since it's one of the most reliable cars in the world...
    :) :)

Very well put autofocus
    As a nikon and VW owner, I cannot understand why so many people buy Fords and Canons
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I am also a Nikon and VW owner and I can tell you VW are not the most reliable cars in the world, I just had a £1200 bill for a new EGR at 50000 miles.

@autofocus: How time alters reality: Nikon did not fix the D600, they were forced to fix it by at least one class action suit and the publicity surrounding it. Were it not for that, I am sure the D750 issue would not have been approached so pro-actively. World-wide communication via the internet is what is going to be the main thing that keeps companies playing by the rules going forward.

If you're going to rant, you should at least make it accurate....
    Always learning.
    edited January 2015
    I'm invested in Nikon glass and bodies because I love the product.

If you're going to rant, ........
    Sorry @autofocus I am afraid comments along the lines of "loving Nikon" here, is politically incorrect and will get you branded as a nikon fan boy
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    You also need to compensate for the Internet Amplification Effect. Few camera owners post, or even read photography forums. Never ever think that what you read on an Internets Tubes forum represents anything close to a representative sample of the population.

Second, people with no problems are less likely to post than people who are having problems. So it may seem that more posts are about problems... and that's true. But it does not mean that most people are having problems.

Then there is a tendency on the Internets Tubes to repeat or over count issues. Look at the number of people who criticize Sigma lenses but have never shot with a Sigma lens? People also like to repost/repeat stuff they read on other forums.

So 10 posts claiming that their CaNikon sucks may not be any more representative than 1 post claiming that their CaNikon sucks.

All camera manufacturers have issues with their products some of the time. But most camera manufacturers make good cameras most of the time.

If you like shooting with your Nikon equipment, shoot with your Nikon equipment
    If you don't like shooting with your Nikon equipment... well you get the point.

Any of the top 10 camera manufacturers make good cameras and good lenses. I think there is a tendency to worry about decimal points that really don't matter that much.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Always interesting, the Nikon (or Canon and others) user tends to be in some cases defensive of the brand. Hopefully, we all do this a bit "tongue in cheek" so as to not get our emotions overriding our judgement.

Then some of us simply were raised on Nikon, back before most of the NRF members were born.

My overall experience, accepting the characteristics of what I shoot, has been quite nice. There are glitches in the way the cameras function, the controls in some situations seem a bit cheap for the price, but this is like purchasing a high end auto, only to have it in the shop for repairs frequently.

While I do not know if our society has over the past 70 years become more or less upfront and honest in the way it seems to function, it is my experience that in almost all areas there are a lot of "snake oil salesmen" and then some folks whose wares are reliable, problems quickly remedied, and very pleasant to do business with. Nikon probably falls somewhere in the middle in all this mix.

My "Nikon experience" is limited to a couple of "F" bodies, some of the non-pro early digitals, D70's, D90, D200, D4, D800E. Lenses from 10.5 to 400mm.

So, I can say I "love Nikon" only because the current equipment produces results which I find quite pleasing. In any relationship however, there are always ups and downs.....LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I love Nikon because IMNSHO the glass is generally better than anyone else's in the world. Could I get Zeiss? If I don't want autofocus, sure. Is sigma art giving them a run for their money at the moment? Sure. But if I have to be somewhere and have to get the photo, I've had a Nikon in my right hand for 30+ years and see no reason to change.
  • isowhatisowhat Posts: 7Member
    I think it's interesting that problems with FX cameras have been commanding the discussion. Do you think there could be problems with the upcoming D5500 and possible D7200, or are problems with DX cameras more scarce? I can't remember the last problem nikon had when releasing a DX camera.