Adobe Lightroom 6

sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
edited February 2015 in Nikon Software
Post edited by sevencrossing on

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    When it comes through I suspect I will go for it, although I still have no idea how to fully utilize 5.7.. I am of the opinion that some of the updates are to deal with some of the unwanted elements on the internet.
    Msmoto, mod
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    I will probably buy it.. eventually. I am not one to buy things when they are first released. LR5.x is still has capabilities that exceed mine.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    The very same day it is released, got CC so I don't see any reasons to hold back.
    I haven't been using for that long (from version 3), but all the new versions have been good in my book. There was some trouble getting it to start after they launched the CC program, but did get some help from Adobe and problem was solved.
    I know and understand that Lightroom might not be for everyone, but for me it is the most important program I use.
    D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    The thing about software is it constantly evolves (or dies) and we all get caught up in the circle of upgrades. I will wait to see what the specific improvements are but there is little doubt I will eventually upgrade. Lightroom is an essential component of my workflow and I don't see that changing.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    Yup, the beauty of CC. As soon it as it is available, just click and download.. All for 10 bucks a month, lol...
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Yup, the beauty of CC. As soon it as it is available, just click and download.. All for 10 bucks a month, lol...
    Yep, $10 for both Lightroom and Photoshop, a fair deal in my book.
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    @JonMcGuffin, I concur, $120/year, probably about the cheapest aspect of photography and one of the most important having such a wide array of tools at your disposal with all the newest goodies always thrown in.. I'm not sure why so many people were against the subscription plan. To me it always seemed like a no-brainer at the price point...
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Is it possible to buy Lightroom 6 without subscription?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2015
    I'll likely jump in to LR6 right away, or soon after release. I just signed up for CC a few weeks ago, after much hesitation. I figure I'll give it a year and see how things go. :) It's a little pricy outside of the US (around $167 Cdn a year with taxes and exchange rate), but still seems worth while, considering what is included.
    Rumor has it that it will be available as a stand alone, for the same price as LR5.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited February 2015
    Rumor has it that it will be available as a stand alone, for the same price as LR5.
    Great, thank you.

Post edited by snakebunk on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    You better keep up with LR. I have it from version 1.0 and sometimes I look at D70 photo's and see that the RAW converter became better and better. The CC combination PS and LR is perfect, but you have to spent a lot of time with it.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited February 2015
    Interesting thanks for the link sevencrossing. I see you need a 64 OS so that means I am out for now. Once I upgrade my laptop in the next few months I will probably bite on Lightroom 6. March 9th is the release date I see. I also agree with the posts above, it is important to keep updating because of the various file converters and compatibility issues with Photoshop CC, 5.1 etc.
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I just hope LR6 will solve the problem I experience with referenced files (on a NAS)...
    edited February 2015
    I am hoping LR6 + CC with the most resent updates solves my awful D810 banding issues. I am really leaning finally towards the yearly or monthly subscription for both instead of dicking around with pirated copies of Lightroom 5.7 and CC without the most resent updates (Camera RAW 7.2 is faulty for me)...
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I am hoping LR6 + CC with the most resent updates solves my awful D810 banding issues. I am really leaning finally towards the yearly or monthly subscription for both instead of dicking around with pirated copies of Lightroom 5.7 and CC without the most resent updates (Camera RAW 7.2 is faulty for me)...
    I haven't noticed any banding issues with the D810. Under what circumstances are you getting that effect?

I am also leaning toward a CC subscription. You can get a discount this week which makes it something like $102 for a year's subscription and you get PS + LR always up to date. I would probably spend more than half that amount for the new LR. I have tried to avoid the "bottomless pit" of subscription software but the pit exists for outright purchase as well as software must evolve or die. My concern to date has been "will the lead-in price escalate dramatically in the future or remain reasonable?" Only time will tell.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    On CC here, so I can't wait! For me, the CC model is fantastic (until they raise the price!).

I'm curious how they'll deal with CC subscribers who are on 32 bit machines as I understand LR6 will only support 64 bit machines.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If the rumors are true 32bit system will not be able to update. Frankly if you're still running a 32bit system in 2015, its about time to get with the program.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited February 2015
    Hi Beso, for me it's not the D810 or the D800e I have used. I am 85% sure it is my RAW converter and my prehistoric 2007 laptop. Basically I went high end on camera gear in 2012 and didn't upgrade my computer while using crummy pirated software that doesn't allow proper updates. The banding is so bad that I get it under any landscape circumstance in any light or any ISO range. Skies are absolute death. Again its simply time for long overdue laptop upgrade meaning I have to stop purchasing camera equipment and focus on the equally important computer system required for the D810 pig files.

Also Beso, good point on the lead in price comment. That would be a real pain for sure. Pay a great price of $102 for the first year only to have it double the following year...
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2015
    using a crummy computer, a poor quality monitor and pirated, out of date, software
    it a bit like having a rubbish enlarger and cheap materials in the days of film
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Admitting on a forum like NRF that you're using pirated software is a bit like posting that you stole your lenses from some rich person.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I have the Adobe CC package, and I am happy to pay the 45-ish USD monthly for the service. I do look forward to finding out if LR6 solves my workflow problems. If not, then I might consider other options...
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Admitting on a forum like NRF that you're using pirated software is a bit like posting that you stole your lenses from some rich person.
    Depending on what country @kanuck is in, it may or may not be illegal to pirate the software, in that country. Isn't the raw converter free anyway?
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows
    I would at least update that, your banding issue may go away.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Doubt it... I can see the banding clearly in the raw file he uploaded.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Yes different laws apply here in South Korea with regards to pirating software. It is so prevalent that it is easier to buy a pirated copy with a working key than it is to buy a legit copy right in the electronics markets. I used Photoshop 4 , 5.1 and now CC and Lightroom 1 through to 5.7 this way, but again this was before Adobe offered their products on subscription basis. So once I upgrade my computer, I would definitely subscribe to Adobe's products now.