Detachable Camera Strap

Comments

• TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    That's fine for the screw that's used, but what about the tripod socket itself?

Did the camera body engineers ever expect that the tripod socket would have to support the moving weight of the camera and a lens? Until these type of things came along, most people (and, I suspect, most design engineers) would have expected that the camera would be attached to a tripod and then remain stationary with that socket/screw combination having very little stress on it.

Granted, I don't know of anyone who's ever had the socket pulled out of the body, but that would be my greatest concern.
    The few bashed up mid-higher end cameras I have seen the socket is part of the metal body or the metal bottom plate. A whole lot of other parts will break before the socket will.

On screws, grade 2, which I highly doubt that strong of screws are used in consumer products, has a failure rate of around 2,500lbs, grade 5 - 3,500lbs and grade 8 is around 4,700+lbs. Stainless steel, galvanized, iron oxidized, etc doesn't determine the strength but the carbon content (low/medium/high) and if it is quenched & tempered (manufacturing process). Consumer products have no where that need, and I doubt they even come close to a grade 2. Bad thing is, there is no way to tell from one general screw to another what it could hold. Worse case is if it is a "cast" screw where just a wack of a hammer will break it. It is a safe bet though that major companies stuff will hold a couple hundred pounds or more than most abuse could ever create.

I used a black rapid strap until I finally had a camera unscrew off, now I still use it from time to time, but not much. The camera swinging always worried me especially with a flash attached. With a suit jacket on, it never worked well either. I have been tempted by the Spider holster system but haven't tried one yet. I mostly like shooting with a thin strap wrapped around my wrist. or without a strap at all (studio).
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

Did the camera body engineers ever expect that the tripod socket would have to support the moving weight of the camera and a lens?
    It was common to hold your camera by a flash bracket , so yes, I think they might

http://www.cam-era.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/DSC_2339.jpg
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    That's fine for the screw that's used, but what about the tripod socket itself?

Did the camera body engineers ever expect that the tripod socket would have to support the moving weight of the camera and a lens? Until these type of things came along, most people (and, I suspect, most design engineers) would have expected that the camera would be attached to a tripod and then remain stationary with that socket/screw combination having very little stress on it.

Granted, I don't know of anyone who's ever had the socket pulled out of the body, but that would be my greatest concern.
    That's a really interesting point Lare, I've never heard that question raised before. As you say, I'm not aware of a tripod thread ever being pulled out from the bottom of a camera body, so I guess they must be pretty tough. For those unsure about the security of the Sunsniper attachment, I use the best of both worlds.........the solid one piece screw from BlackRapid, with the Sunsniper steel strap (when I'm not using the BR DR-1). Each camera also has the "pigtails" (I like that term, what a good way to describe them) for the Op-Tech system attached. If I become really paranoid about the cameras falling (they never have in years of use), I can click the pigtails together THROUGH the SS or BR straps, so even if the screw came undone the camera still wouldn't fall!
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Nope, actually they are USD5 ones, usually in my climbing gear, and I just grabbed the two smallest I could find. I'm not using these per say, but the concept is OK. I'm still looking for the righht ones, smaller, and wih a screw lock. Don't worry...
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    edited February 2015
    Well I have been back in the US putting things back together from being in the Middle East for two years and due to my stupidity needed to get another camera neck strap. I normally purchase these from my local camera dealer but they no longer carry Tamrac gear after they filled chapter 11 last year (I had no idea that happened, they probably could get some things but service was unreliable for a while and they choose to go with other manufactures). I like to support my local camera store but will look at better ideas than what I was using, it worked but for sure was not an award winning setup. I will give a brief description on my normal shooting since it might help decide what would suit me best.

I will carry two cameras about 40% of the time, then about 5% of the time I have three cameras but that's rare. I like to shoot at different angles and from time to time end up on my stomach to get the shot 5%, take a knee 35%, and standing 40%, the rest on a tripod. If getting down on the ground with two cameras was easier I might do it more often but I don't think anything will really help unless I only have one camera or get a porter (not going to happen, lol). As a note some of these are car shows that allow people to walk between cars, normally I will hold my cameras just to make sure I don't accidentally scratch a vehicle. If carrying two cameras with the tamrac straps I would put one camera on each side so it would hang around my hip (neck and one shoulder in the strap).

I would like something I could remove from the camera and be very portable but yet when attached very secure. I could remove the Tamrac neck strap with the clips just dangling but have to stuff the strap in my camera bags taking up space (after traveling all over I have a new respect for luggage space). I have RRS L-Plates on all my cameras so the RRS B2-FABN is an option along with purchasing black rapid strap from my local camera store that now carries it after they discontinued the Tamrac line. Before I just go jump in another system though not sure if any other designs are better for me or something I might not have seen before.

My other question is, what accidents have you seen or been a part of from using a black rapid strap or similar gear. Was this stupidity or just an accident? For example, I could have accidentally dropped my camera right after picking it up and before the neck strap was around my neck; I put this in stupidity column, nothing would have saved the accident. The just an accident is you thought you clipped your neck strap around your neck because you heard a "click" but the "clip" did not fully lock and it slipped out after the weight of the camera was on it. Of course in some cases there gear failures, any of these or common problems I would love to know so I can avoid them.
    Post edited by scoobysmak on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Hi @scoobysmak - I just went through the analysis on BR Sport and BosStrap sling straps. When I log on in the morning I will post pricing, pictures, and personal comments why I did not go with BR. Alternatives are always good. It's late and I need to go to bed. :D
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have been looking at the BossStrap also. Any opinions are appreciated.
    edited February 2015
    Hi @scoobysmak & @retread - sorry for the delay.
    I like a lot of things about the Black Rapid (BR) Sport sling. Here is the configuration I looked at:
    BR Sports RS-2 Strap $73.95 ((Like the wider strap over the slim version))
    BR FastenR Stealth Adapter $14.95 (This is a must if you buy BR sling straps. The rubber molding over the stainless steel reduces noise.) See here for info:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=black+rapid+stealth&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=
    BR Lockstar Carabinder Protector $9.95 (From a safety perspective you got to buy this item. It prevents the ConnectR from Accidentally Opening.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Lockstar+Carabinder+Protector&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Now you could stop there and your investment is $98.85. Don't try and go cheap and not buy just the BR Stealth adapter and the Carabinder Protector; You really need both accessories to reduce the grinding noise and to ensure a peace of mind that you won't accidentally open the ConnectR. IMHO your minimum investiment is $98.85. I know lots are going to jump in and say they use the BR Sport but don't have these items. I am conservative when it comes to protecting my equipment.

However, when you go to put that camera on a tripod you got to loosen the Stealth Adapter from the DSLR tripod socket or the bottom of your "L" bracket to add the flat or "L" bracket it's a pain in you know what. Yes, there is a solution that Gollf007sd brought to my attention and that is to buy a RRS B2-FABN Screw knob clamp with strap boss. If you go to the RRS forum here on NRF you will find a video that was made by Golf007sd on how it works.

I totally agree with Golf that for convenience you need the RRS bracket. What the bracket does is allows you to unlock the RRS clamp from the camera tripod socket or "L" bracket in seconds and then you just slide the camera onto your tripod ball head. That immediately removes your BR strap from the camera.

If you are changing from a lens without a tripod foot to a lens with a tripod foot you will love this capability. Change lens, loosen the RRS clamp and move it from the bottom of your camera to the lens foot and tighten the knob and your strap is now attached to the lens. When not shooting you invert the camera and the weight is now centered on the lens foot instead of the camera tripod socket. Assumption: your lens has the correct grove on the lens foot or you have installed a RRS plate on that lens.

The RRS B2-FABN screw knob clamp with strap boss can be found here: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Screw-Knob-Clamps/B2-FABN-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-strap-bosses.html
    Price for the RRS clamp is $70. So that brings the total investment to $168.85 + shipping for that RRS bracket. Shipping is free from B&H for the BR gear.

I thought long and hard about the above configuration and decided as a"non-pro" that $168.85 was too much money for an excellent sling strap configuration. Plus the over riding decision was I did not like that weight stressing the tripod socket directly or via a "L" bracket.

I bought the BosStrap G3 Generation 3 sliding strap for $47.95 available directly from BosSTrap or B&H for free shipping. See next message for my comments on the Boss. :D
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I investigated the BosStrap, BR sling straps, and the OptiCap sling strap. Decided that the BosStrap G3 sling strap was the correct strap for me. Here are some pictures and web site link:
    Notice the wide strap:
    DSC_1103

Here is how it connects to the DSLR - at the strap lug not tripod socket:
    DSC_1104

Notice the large metal piece that slides on your BosStrap sling. No binding here and the heavy duty construction is terrific and is very durable. Also notice that black rubber sleeve with the Bos logo on it. Pull it up and pop open the lock and the strap is immediately released from the camera body.
    DSC_1105

There is no interference between the connection point and the RRS "L"bracket as shon in this picture:
    DSC_1097

I got the strap in November and it's on my D750. Most of the shooting has been indoors but I did use it outdoors for 3 hours and it was comfortable. This is my first sling strap and so far I like it. We leave on vacation soon for 11 days in a warm climate so when I return I will know more. Expect to shoot between 1,000 and 2,000 images so it will be a good test of the strap,

What I like so far is that it does not seem to slip off the shoulder. Note it does not have that extra padding and width that the BR strap has at the shoulder. The nylon strap stays in position. Hardware is first class and functionally is good so far. I need some more experience with it to really give a stronger rating. When I return from vacation I will know a lot more. If it's positive, I want to order one for my D7100.

Here is the link to the BosStrap web site: http://bosstrap.com/

I encourage you check out the web site to learn the history of the straps and to see the many videos on how to use their straps. The web site could be easier to navigate but I have seen worse. Also they have extra short straps for going under your shoulder to keep it from coming off or tie two straps together or to tie a left and right strap together so they don't slide off your shoulder. They make left and right handed straps and one for women. They make wide and narrow straps too.

If your a BR user and want to stop using the BR FastenR Stealth or standard connector/fastenR to connect to the camera lug instead of your tripod socket or "L" bracket, your in luck. BosStrap makes a conversion strap that ties to your DSLR lug and you connect your BR Carabinder to the strap. Pretty slick and the strap is not expensive.

At this point in time I recommend the BosStrap. It's available directly from Bos and from B&H.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    edited February 2015
    Well I appreciate all the feedback and info Photobug. Since I already have the RRS brackets I see myself getting the Black Rapid yeti or double (I think I like the yeti better but don't know yet).

Since the Boss strap in a double cost more than the BR yeti and $5 dollars less than a double I will probably go with the BR solution. I only found the Boss strap double available online at $130. I do have to get a couple of RRS BR plates for the bottom but I am okay with that. I honestly believe the tripod screw is stronger than the camera strap screw, the camera strap screw is meant to hold half the weight from a neck strap not the entire weight of the camera and lens. In all reality both can hold the weight of a camera and lens unless your camera gets caught up in heavy machinery while taking pictures (at this point you probably have other things to worry about).

One other note about the BR solution though, this is a quote from B&H website about using the stealth fasteners with the ConnectR carabiner lock:

"I ordered the Lockstar together with the FastenR Stealth FR-4, but discovered that they aren't compatible with each other when I tried to use them together. The only way to use them together is to completely remove the Lockstar every time you want to attach or detach the carabiner from the FastenR Stealth FR-4.

The Lockstar does prevent the carabiner from hitting the body of my DSLR, which is why I bought it.

In hindsight, I should have bought the regular FastenR-3 to use with this.

UPDATE: I emailed BlackRapid to see if there was something I could do to make these two parts work together. They replied quickly, saying that they weren't compatible, but sent me a regular FastenR to use with the Lockstar."

I might still get both since I will use the RRS to remove it from the camera and will not have to deal with the carabiner clip anyway, but wanted to let everyone know this could be an issue if you use them together.
    Post edited by scoobysmak on
    Well I appreciate all the feedback and info Photobug. Since I already have the RRS brackets I see myself getting the Black Rapid yeti or double (I think I like the yeti better but don't know yet).

One other note about the BR solution though, this is a quote from B&H website about using the stealth fasteners with the ConnectR carabiner lock:

Did not know that...thanks for the correction. That is good to know.

You said: Since the Boss strap in a double cost more than the BR yeti and $5 dollars less than a double I will probably go with the BR solution. I only found the Boss strap double available online at $130. I do have to get a couple of RRS BR plates for the bottom but I am okay with that. I honestly believe the tripod screw is stronger than the camera strap screw, the camera strap screw is meant to hold half the weight from a neck strap not the entire weight of the camera and lens. In all reality both can hold the weight of a camera and lens unless your camera gets caught up in heavy machinery while taking pictures (at this point you probably have other things to worry about).

Do your self a favor and when you are on the BosStrap web site, look for the article on using the neck strap lug vs the tripod socket. They have input from both Canon and Nikon. Very interesting findings.

Happy to see there are others who spend the time to do their research before buying.

I had been looking into this when this thread appeared. I even got a phone call from the boss man at bosStrap to answer a question I emailed about.

When my camera gets back from Nikon that is the way I plan to go. Maybe I won't have to send it in again.
    @retread you won't be sorry.
    Plan to leave a detailed review after I get back from our 11 day vacation.
    Well UPS left a box today so guess I need to get busy and order my strap.
    All of these solution still leave a significant piece of strap on the camera body, and what I really would like to see is the smallest bit possible left on either side of the body.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    I just ordered the Peak Design Slide.

If I like it, I will be selling my Black Rapid.
    All of these solution still leave a significant piece of strap on the camera body, and what I really would like to see is the smallest bit possible left on either side of the body.
    The BosStrap has a 3/8" wide strap connected to the left lug. I think I understand what you are looking for to allow the best flexibility and movement of the camera.
    As promised, here are my second impressions on the BosStrap Generation 3 sling strap.
    I got the strap in December for my new D750 and used it once outside in January and a bunch of times inside until last week. We were gone for 12 days on vacation and I used it over a winter coat and a medium weight coat. Shot ~1100 images while on vacation so I have a much better "feel" for the strap compared to my initial impressions posted in December.

Over the thick coat it worked fine, there was not a lot of slack to move the camera out and away from the body to look in the finder due to the coat. Without the coat, it's fine.

There is no binding when sliding the camera up to your face like the OptiTech sling strap - very smooth. The hardware "D" shaped ring that moves on the 1.5" strap is heavy duty and looks very durable. The strap and hardware are designed to support 60 pounds.

I carried the D750 + 24-70mm it over my should for three hours on several days and I really like the weight distribution NOT being on the neck like a conventional neck strap. I did use the sling strap with the D750 + 70-200mm F2.8 lens and again, no sore neck. You simply flip the camera over at the side of your hip and it stays close to your body/hip when using the left camera lug (from the back side of the camera).

I really like the sling strap over a conventional neck strap. Highly recommended.

Here is the web site: http://bosstrap.com/

Note they also make a conversion strap, $9.99, for Black Rapids users that replaces the Black Rapids FastenR Stealth swivel piece that screws into the tripod collar or "L" bracket or RRS B2--FABN screw knob clamp. This allows you to use the camera lug strap instead of the bottom of the camera tripod socket or "L" bracket.
    I must say the Peak Design snap in system, the connect solution between the strap and the body, looks really really promising. It's small and minimalistic, and it would go along with the BR Sling/RRS combo...
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Interesting article from bosstrap on why the strap lugs are better than the tripod socket for a camera strap. Has quotes from canon and nikon support.
    http://bosstrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/wheretoattach.pdf
    I guess it's good that I although I use an RRS L-plate with the BR Sling/RRS combo, I also have a hand strap which connects the strap lug and the L-plate, and hence functions as a backup solution.
    Interesting article from bosstrap on why the strap lugs are better than the tripod socket for a camera strap. Has quotes from canon and nikon support.
    http://bosstrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/wheretoattach.pdf
    That is one of the reasons I went with a BosStrap instead of BR sling. I know it's paranoid.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited February 2015
    I love my black rapid rs7. I still say it was the best $60 I ever spent. Ive clipped it to the bottom (like you are supposed to) and like Killerbob has in the pic lol.

Has anyone used a Cottoncarrier type strap or belt holsters? Id like to see what kind of experience you have with odder type strap systems.
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    I looked at but never tried cotton carrier and similar systems but decide on a think tank holster. The camera is protected inside the holster. I use it on a belt and so far am happy with my decision. I will see how I like it as the system grows. I have used it in light rain and was glad the camera was out of the rain most of the time. I have a pouch for an extra lens or two but have not used it much to know how I will like it.

I have ordered the boss strap and will use it with the think tank holster until I may need a harness then will look at my options again.

Indoors I work out of a shoulder bag. I have thought of using the pouch on the other hip to carry the extra lens or two but not tried that. Either way I will use the boss strap. I just got the camera back from repair and would rather not repair it again.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    My Peak Design Slide arrived and I took it out today for a spin.

Loved it!

My Nikon branded Black Rapid is going up for sale.