Detachable Camera Strap

13»

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited February 2015
    @Hammie, I was not familar with the Peak Design Slide. Interesting. Here is the link for everyone:
    https://peakdesign.com/store/slide
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    The Peak Design Slide is not a substitute for a proper slide like BR. It doesn't work on certain fabrics, and not if you are wearing a large coat. It certainly doesn't work on my Canadian Goose Parka. However, as a normal camera strap it is great, and the interlock solution is minimalistic and works well.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    @Killerbob - After reading your post, I tried is on a number of different fabrics. All seem to perform the same.

Keep in mind that on one side there is no silicone grip so it will slide freely just like a seatbelt. I tried it on cotton t-shirts, a starter jacket, two different under Armour jackets, a sweat shirt, compression shirts, even shirtless and it never did not work.

I'd be interested in hearing how it did not work for you.

The Black Rapid keep slipping off my shoulder and down my arm. I tried it with the under arm strap, without it, different tightness factors, and different materials. I just could not get it to work the way I felt comfortable with it.

I am by no means trying to sell the Peak Design over the Black Rapid, just sharing my experience with both.
    @Hammie, like I said I for instance have a Canadian Goose jacket. It is big, it is full of down, and it is my go-to jacket when it is cold up here in Greenland. The sliding type solutions do not work. Either it is the material, or the fact that down jackets tend to be big and puffy, I don't know. At least with that type of outerwear, I have to use the "fixed" sling. I use the BR Sport and have no problems holding it in place.

For the day or so I tried the PD Slide, I had on two different jackets, one North Face Summit Down Parka, and one Canadian Goose Lodge Hoodie, and the camera just didn't slide right.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @Killerbob - had the same experience with the BosStrap not sliding well with my heavy winter coat. My solution was to put it around my neck like a conventional strap. Have not tried it with my lighter nylon jacket. Over a Tee-shirt its fine.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    So it perhaps is not material related, but rather the size of jacket/person...
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    My bosstrap arrived today. I am looking forward to trying it. My initial impression is it will take some getting used to as with anything new. It feels like it will work as intended. Over a large heavy coat it may fit a little tight.
    Maybe if I were a little smaller. ;)