Heads up for Aperture users ...

1235»

Comments

• funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    Actually it IS not good news for users who don't want to let go Aperture. A couple of things are nice and good enough:
    Cropping and correcting the angle is good
    Adjustment of colors, exposure - could live with
    but: No Shadows / /Highlights / Midtone contrast
    No brushes, no curves, no color correction with the registers, no burn/dodge
    It's pretty quick
    But I could upload all my raw data into the cloud, just what I was looking all my life for. Yuk. It's as serious as a gamepad on a business PC.

I still don't get it: what do they gain by giving up Aperture? The current version is alright, development costs were already spent, some little bells and whistles more instead leaving users back in the desert - what's so uncool? Why?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2015

I still don't get it: what do they gain by giving up Aperture? The current version is alright, development costs were already spent, some little bells and whistles more instead leaving users back in the desert - what's so uncool? Why?
    The reality is the Aperture 3 is badly out of date compared to even freely available open source software. While it's RAW support is good (since RAW support is on the OS level) it's other features are now 4 years out of date. While I think Aperture is the best program out there for organization, and has the best UI, it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of editing ability.

Due to the old coding language and support files, Aperture would have needed a major under the hood re-write, for support under future OS versions, which is one of the main reasons Apple abandon both Aperture and iPhoto. Doing so allowed the development team to concentrate on one application, as limited and "instgramish" as it may be.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Due to the old coding language and support files, Aperture would have needed a major under the hood re-write, for support under future OS versions, which is one of the main reasons Apple abandon both Aperture and iPhoto. Doing so allowed the development team to concentrate on one application, as limited and "instgramish" as it may be.
    Makes a lot of sense. Apple has a long history of killing things that are long in the tooth begging for new tech... well, then there's iTunes.

D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    I read what you said, but I don't find a real reason to abandon it like they do.

Old code? Photoshop, the finder and Windows is stuffed with it. And, philosophically, code is old and getting older the moment the compiler has finished it's work. That doesn't mean "weaker" or "less stable". Yesterday a VW beetle passed me. It was in production from 1938 - 2003, of course the models varied, but shape and engine didn't much. That might be an exception but what I want to say: The whole concept of Aperture still IS great for some people. Others have more or better access to Lightroom and explorer-based organization of pictures. I daresay, a lot of them just don't know better.

RAW conversion is done in the system, right - so they don't even say half an hour development time by abandoning AA

Old features? Yeah, I do miss some bits like lens profile and perspective correction, B/W conversion and maybe some kind of clarity tool would be nice. But the rest? Please tell me, in which part LR or P1 are superior? There's not so much more a DAM can (or should be able to) do with my pictures. Regarding some heavy post processing, a secondary tool like Photoshop is required, no matter how the DAM is called. Now there's only one All-in-one DAM left and I see LR leaves me "less picture to be shown" because of their generous waste of screen space.

Photos.app is not bad (remember, it doesn't cost extra!), but why not go a little extra mile and ask for money for some more advanced features?

What I do feel: Myself less "at home" on my own Mac. iCloud everywhere, you don't have to use it - yet. But they make lots of efforts to drag people into their server farms. For some traveling photos that just might be the thing, but most of us live in one place and are not getting their plates and dishes and documents from a stock house when they need it.

I know I should separate my emotions bound on my pictures from the app which shows me them and which allows me to change them in the way I felt when taking them. It's like moving from one house to the next and I liked the smell and sound of the first place and the second one has too much bad smells, horrible noises and bad vibrations. Before I had to use Lightroom, I'd quit taking pictures.
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    I guess my question at this point is what are the alternatives for file management? DXO perhaps?
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Am looking into LR. Not looking forward to the conversion.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    I was a happy Aperture user. Now I use Lightroom. On paper Lightroom is the better app. But compared to Aperture the user interface stinks. I am getting used to using Lightroom but I miss Aperture.

The Photos app. looks good from a user interface point of view. Looking at the new Photos app. you have to ask Adobe why Lightroom looks so out of date - confusing - inconsistant.

If apple keeps adding features to the Photos app. it may end up being the best Photo app. for 98 percent.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    Now there's only one All-in-one DAM left
    That's what I thought, too. But LR is in fact not more "DAM" than CaptureOne. Having used LR for a bit now, I can't understand the rage that people pour on the so-so DAM capabities of C1.
    and I see LR leaves me "less picture to be shown" because of their generous waste of screen space.
    Was getting on my nerves, too. You can configure that, though, and especially, use keyboard commands to selectively or completely show/hide the elements. Works nicely.
    I was a happy Aperture user. Now I use Lightroom. On paper Lightroom is the better app. But compared to Aperture the user interface stinks. I am getting used to using Lightroom but I miss Aperture.
    Same here. You never know what you've got till it's gone, I guess.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My Aperture is so old it cannot be accessed from Yosemite 10.10.2
    Msmoto, mod
    I read what you said, but I don't find a real reason to abandon it like they do.

Old code? Photoshop, the finder...
    Totally irrelevant. The Finder was re-writen to the newer language in 10.9, and most of that legacy stuff, under the hood stuff that matters, is gone. Apple is fazing out support for the code language that Aperture and iPhoto were written with in the next version of OS X. From the movement Apple made that decision Aperture and iPhoto were EOL. As for why Apple chose to only make one new app with the new language? Aperture had a market share of less than 6% of the market, on the Mac. So the real answer is that it is Just not worth the R&D.

If Adobe wants it's apps to work in OS X 10.11 they will have to get with the program too.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    this is an Aperture thread. I'd appreciate it it doesn't become a "how I made the switch to LR / C1 / darktable / DxO" thread.
    +1
    I am a LR user so I have not looked at this thread till today
    but surprise surprise it is also about LR
    sometimes I do feel the mods could be a bit more ruthless

Since Aperture is now officially terminated, it's only logical that people are discussing what they're doing now. Which was the original starting point for this thread anyway.

So: Relax. Especially since you're not an Aperture user. ;-)
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Maybe we should change the name of this thread to "Heads down for Aperture users (banging head on desk)"

Or "Heads up Aperture users, thumbs down for Apple"
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2015
    My Aperture is so old it cannot be accessed from Yosemite 10.10.2
    Is that one of those jokes that go "My Aperture is so old ..... " ;-)

let me have a go .. " ... the serial number is 0000001"

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2015
    My Aperture is so old .. I install it from a floppy disk! =))
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Mine gives a message:

You can’t use this version of the application “Aperture.app” with this version of OS X.
    You have “Aperture.app” 2.1.4.
    Msmoto, mod
    My Aperture is so old there is oil on the blades so they stick. ;)
    My Aperture is so old that it asks for Rosetta to open.
    Rosetta runs with magnet tapes?

ignorants, all of'em. Don't deserve Aperture, grumble...