This Forum needs a facelift

Comments

• Carerra911Carerra911 Posts: 17Member
    'This Forum Needs A Facelift' - Yeah, so do I but it ain't what you'd call necessary.....
    That made me laugh, no its not necessary , I was just sayin
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    'This Forum Needs A Facelift' - Yeah, so do I but it ain't what you'd call necessary.....
    That made me laugh, no its not necessary , I was just sayin
    Mission accomplished. >:D<
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I have no issues with the current look, feel, functionality EXCEPT the search. But honestly, some times the search gives me what I am looking for.
    Nice quote MsMoto.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I like the forum as it is now (kinda miss the black tho). The canon rumors forum to me looks like a popup site.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2015
    EXCEPT the search. But honestly, some times the search gives me what I am looking for.
    If you are a regular visitor to the forum, you will probably remember, the title of the thread, you are looking for ( which may bear no resemblance to the subject
    For example. An excellent debate on LR and PS is titled "After the Shot: Photo Editing "
    But If you are new to forum, you are unlikely to find it

Some threads give no clue to their content eg "Upgrades and Choices" or " "Better value?"
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    I just typed in editing and that thread came up on the second page but in general you are right seven - the titles should reflect the subject more clearly. Also, I wonder how many people tag their threads when they start them?
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited March 2015
    I find when the topic goes to hundreds of posts its just not worth looking...a new topic I spot with over 15 posts I dont bother. At least here you can say set JPEG sharpness to +9 without getting banned..(Nikonians)
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member

you will probably remember, the title of the thread, you are looking for
    *waves hand*
    These are not the threads you're looking for...

:))
    Always learning.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    Yeah, the Mods should fix the website. Earn some of that money you're getting to...oh, never mind. :)
    I don't think the mods are responsible, nor do they have the permission (in the software's standard roles) to do so.

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Yeah, the Mods should fix the website. Earn some of that money you're getting to...oh, never mind. :)
    I don't think the mods are responsible, nor do they have the permission (in the software's standard roles) to do so.
    The mods keep the inmates from getting too unruly, but they can't change the asylum.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I go to "forum" sites for a variety of things, and the software used here is by far the most unique and strangest and hardest to get use to. It took me months to find the "edit" link to edit my posts.....

It would be cool if it was a "dark" theme like dpreview uses..... maybe black background with gold text and bold for new threads, etc...
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2015
    I remember there were similar discussion when this version of the forum first launched. I recall Admin (Peter) saying that due to the open source nature of the software used the options were rather limited, without a deeper knowledge of programming.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Carerra911Carerra911 Posts: 17Member
    Lets put it this way, if this site was better designed, cleaner etc, you would have more sponsors, this is a premier site, there is only 1 Nikon rumors
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I go to "forum" sites for a variety of things, and the software used here is by far the most unique and strangest and hardest to get use to. It took me months to find the "edit" link to edit my posts.....

It would be cool if it was a "dark" theme like dpreview uses..... maybe black background with gold text and bold for new threads, etc...
    This was brought up a few times but the most recent post directly aimed at the dark background, here is the link to the thread that changed my colors. You must have some administration rights to the computer browser otherwise it will not let you install the plug in to run the "code". It works great at home but at work I am stuck with the standard colors.

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/514/is-there-a-way-to-change-the-color-combinationsdisplay-settings-for-the-forum
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Quite frankly I am more interested in substance than appearance. This forum has plenty of substance.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • jimh12345jimh12345 Posts: 11Member
    I agree with the OP - it's crowded, cluttery and dated. A bit hard on the eyes and could be a lot easier to read. Of course, many web forums are in the same boat - set up a few years ago, and never changed.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Quite frankly I am more interested in substance than appearance. This forum has plenty of substance.
    +1.

On a more prosaic note, I like that I can log on with any of my little devices and I get the same 'new post' state, apparently tracked by the server.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    The flow IMHO seems fine and to the point.

I know ads keep the site up but recently they have been slow and holding up being able to view the site. The ad server people should be watching load times for their ads but I'd bet they don't care. I just had to wait over a minute for the top right hand ad to load before I could scroll the page.

That's my only rant for 2015, I promise...

framer
    edited March 2015

I know ads keep the site up but recently they have been slow and holding up being able to view the site.

framer
    doesn't everyone use an adblocker ?
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    That's not the point. I don't use ad blockers because any pennies they generate helps keep sites like this one stay online. My point was the ad companies need to fine tune the ads so to not hold up the page.

framer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    Andrew with a face lift, I like to see that one.

Always nice to put an idea in, even better when someone else has to put a lot of his or her spare time in it to make it happen. Only comment and critique is too simple here.

If anybody wants another forum, make a test site somewhere on the net and show it to the Nikon community, bear in mind that the database conversions from this site to that forum site should not give any problem, good luck.

I like this forum.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
    I am not sure if it is the ad companies fault but they way NR webmaster incorporates the Ads
    I imagine they are PPC so the ad companies only pay NR if you click on the ad
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Well, at least NRF is not like some websites .....let's see.... is it Crockwell that is constantly asking for money? :))

(Currently suggested as $9.99 per month...)
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod