"card error" message

mcknight41mcknight41 Posts: 4Member
edited December 2014 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I have been using my D600 for two years without any problems until this weekend. I had two 64 GB cards in the camera one PNY and the other Delkin. After taking about 150 pictures I got an error message "card error" and the camera would not take another picture. I remover the first memory and after 15 more shots I got the same message again. I turned the camera off and inserted both memories and took a few more pictures without getting the message. When I downloaded the files the last batch of images were missing! Right now the camera seems to be operating normally. I was taking pictures out doors the temp was about 40 deg. F. What happened?

Comments

• prototypeprototype Posts: 11Member
    Did you double check the little lock tabs on your SD cards? If they were bumped slightly to the locked/write protected position that might be causing your problem.

Also try formatting both cards, and see if the problem repeats itself.
  • mcknight41mcknight41 Posts: 4Member
    I always format cards when inserting them into the camera. I checked the tabs a couple of days after the fact. It's possible they had moved, but I doubt it.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited December 2014
    You may want to try some recovery software. I've had this happen to me once, the file naming system went berserk once on one of my older cameras. I was able to view one set of photos on the camera, but a completely different set on the computer. I got pissed off and tried deleting some of the files and immediately canceling that action. I was able to recover some of the files.

This was with a Kingston SD card a long time ago.

Do you set your SD cards on dual backup or overflow? If you have dual backup shouldn't one copy be on the other SD card?
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I set the cards on overflow. Maybe I should use backup.
  • pigeyejacksnpigeyejacksn Posts: 36Member
    I have found recently that memory cards aren't infallible. Since buying my D750, I have purchased Kingston Digital 32GB Class 3 Cards due to their speed. I have had two out of four fail on me. Both were to the point they weren't mountable by the camera, OSX or Windows. Really frustrating. I never had these issues with Compact Flash cards on my D300. Now that I have two slots, I have one grabbing NEFs and the other JPGs. Serves two purposes, one is a backup and the other gives me quick access to only one format or the other. Sometimes I just need jpgs and don't require the raw files, but most of the time want the NEFs. In a pinch (for me) the jpgs would be useable in most cases. I feel for you. Problem is, if the OS doesn't even recognize the cards, there's little luck in recovery software. I hope you have better luck than with mine.
    D750 w/MB-D16 Grip, D300, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR, TC-17E II, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 10.5 DX, Tamron 90mm Macro f2.8, Lens Baby Composer, SB-700, Singh-Ray Galen Rowell ND Filter.
    http://www.photographsbyrob.com
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Proper recovery software won't care if the OS recognizes the card or not. Depending on where you buy your cards, you may have encountered some counterfeits. I have seen no where near that kind of failure rate, maybe 1 in 20 or 30. There is a huge proliferation of counterfeit SD cards, simply because the ones that don't pass first test at the factory are "discarded" and supposed to be destroyed. But what happens instead is that the underpaid workers sell the defective ones on the black market and, viola, we have $hi++y cards on the market.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 Ironheart regarding counterfeit SD cards.
    @pigeyejacksn - This is why I stick to SanDisk and Lexar memory cards. Their quality and reliability is OUTSTANDING. My wife used a Kingston years ago until it failed. Never again. You are also correct about speed. Always buy a fast memory card. You will appreciate the faster read and write times.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited December 2014
    I have faith in Amazon, and it was not an Amazon 3rd party reseller (those I don't trust). I work in IT and have access to several recovery tools. The reality is, if the OS can't see hardware attached, there is no software that will find it either. In my scenario, the device controller didn't see it attached to the machine both on a Mac and a PC. I might as well have been shoving a piece of cardboard in the slot :-). Now, if the OS recognizes there is hardware, but can't read it, that's an entirely different story...you may be able to recover data. I have never seen anything like this failure rate myself, and I'm certainly not saying it is normal. Somehow I think I pulled the king of short straws. My point is they are not perfect technology, and it's best to have two slots backing up one another.
    Post edited by pigeyejacksn on
    D750 w/MB-D16 Grip, D300, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR, TC-17E II, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 10.5 DX, Tamron 90mm Macro f2.8, Lens Baby Composer, SB-700, Singh-Ray Galen Rowell ND Filter.
    @Photobug, I agree with you on SanDisk. I have had nothing but SanDisk in the past and have never had a failure. I have even washed them through the laundry without issue. Unfortunately I was swayed by the stellar reviews on the Kingston. Bummer too, they are QUICK! I'll be moving back on my next batch.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Photobug, I agree with you on SanDisk. I have had nothing but SanDisk in the past and have never had a failure. I have even washed them through the laundry without issue. Unfortunately I was swayed by the stellar reviews on the Kingston. Bummer too, they are QUICK! I'll be moving back on my next batch.
    Bad luck pigeye. I only use sandisk and never had a problem, but as I understand it, it is still possible to buy couterfeit sandisks too. I think it is a matter of a/ where you buy, and b/ blind luck!

To be honest, I have only heard bad things about Kingston SD's.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Yes, definitely be aware of where you buy your SD cards. I bought Sandisk micro SD cards from an Amazon 3rd party seller once because they were cheap. When they arrived they were not in the blister pack and they were loose cards. Obviously they were either counterfeit or rejects from the factory. It wasn't a big deal as they worked and they were for my phone, but still, you should be careful.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Sandisk are the most counterfeited brand. I use Sandisk, but only buy from a retailer who is big enough to buy directly from Sandisk. not from a distribution channel. This means B & H, Amazon (direct, not marketplace), Adorama etc.

I test all cards before use, a write speed test will ysually detect counterfeits, and 2/3 of the cards I bought outside the above channels were counterfeit, not a single counterfeit from the vendors I listed.

Almost all cards from ebay vendors are counterfeit, they are reliable that way.

... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

@harlodp - good idea to do read/write speed tests before use. I usually check them to make sure they read/write, but haven't done the speed tests during the process. That's a great idea.
    +1 to everyone...buy them from well respected dealers who buy direct not through distribution channel. Credit @haroldp for saying it first.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

The D750 has something squirrely in a file every so often, three or so in 10K thus far. I seen others comment in other places, too.

While it hasn't been too disruptive, it has caused a one tense moment.

No clue to the root cause.

My best,

Mike
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I had the same problem on my D7000. There's a spring or something in it that wears out after time and needs replace. I had a local shop here fix it and it cost me $120.
    OK Sandisk from a legit retailer from now on. I have a fortune in camera and lenses why skimp on the card?
  • hkfooeyhkfooey Posts: 1Member
    I have a similar problem but I can't even reformat the microSD from my PC (format through quick and low level). I think is my card (Transend 64BG) - will contact vendor for replacement... :(
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Eck...I purchased one off brand card (Kingston). Notice I said one because it stopped working within a week and I lost most of the pictures I had taken on the card. I got it replaced under the manufacture warranty, purchased a Sandisk card while I was waiting for it to come back and it went in my bag never to be used again. Since I got Sandisk and Samsung cards and they have been rock solid.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    edited March 2015
    People spend BIG $$$$$$ on DSLR's and lens and then buy the cheapest memory card they can. Why? Anyway I will get off my soapbox.

@hkfooey - welcome to NRF from one member to another.

SanDisk and Lexar are excellent memory cards. They are extremely reliable. Plus once you test and figure out that faster memory cards (read & write speeds) save you time from moving images from the card to the CPU and work well for BIF and sports since the card writes faster and keeps that buffer from filling up so fast you will also buy faster cards. Money well spent.

When helping friends buy cameras I spend 10 minutes on memory cards so they understand the difference between cheap cards and good cards and read/write times.
    Post edited by Photobug on
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    While the results arent the same it is like buying cheap film... The compromise often isnt worth it.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2015
    Eck...I purchased one off brand card (Kingston).
    Just throwing it out there, but Kingston is a memory producer (one of the largest in the world actually), not an "off brand" card. Regardless cheap cards are just that, cheap. The higher end cards from most manufactures are better than the cheap cards.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Eck...I purchased one off brand card (Kingston).
    Just throwing it out there, but Kingston is a memory producer (one of the largest in the world actually), not an "off brand" card. Regardless cheap cards are just that, cheap. The higher end cards from most manufactures are better than the cheap cards.
    Oh I know they make lots of different types of memory from hard drives and ram to sd cards. You won't catch me buying any of their products. They aren't an approved Nikon memory brand and from what I have seen they usually don't have good reviews of their other memory products. I think they get some marks for price but never for performance and reliability. Just my experience. And it literally took a week for my memory card of theirs to die and I have been rough on cheap SanDisk ones and never had a problem. Within the last year I got several 16 and 32 gig Samsung cards that have been awesome so far too.

D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    I have had nothing but bad luck with Lexar. Continuous lock-ups with my D750. Card readin errors in my internal SD slot on my MacBook Pro. Spotty read with my external card reader.

I am using Samsung Pro cards in my D750 and SanDisk Extreme cards in my D300.
    @Hammie - did you follow up with Lexar customer support? I have used lots of CF and a few SD Lexar cards and never had an issue. I know they have a better warranty on the faster and bigger memory cards.

I would be interested in hearing what they say about your issue.