Loose Lens Filter Thread

isowhatisowhat Posts: 7Member
edited March 2015 in Other Manufacturers
I recently purchased a new Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC off of eBay from a 3rd party seller, T-Dimension (I'd love to hear about people's experiences with them) that included a 5 year warranty. Based on people's positive experiences with the company and the services they offered, I decided to give them a shot. I just received the lens today and it's awesome, my expectations were exceeded! However, after further examination, I found what I believe is the lens filter thread, or perhaps the base of it, is not completely adhered to the front optical element. If I apply pressure to it, it bends down to touch the glass. Here's a picture of the affected area in case I'm not being clear enough:
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 12.57.31 AM
While I'm confident in the warranty, since the optical quality of the lens isn't affected, should I be worried about this issue or am I just paranoid? What would you guys do in this situation?
Tagged:

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Keep calm and carry on. ;-) It isn't the filter thread, it is just a trim piece. I don't think you'll ever get the build quality out of a Tamron that you do out of a Nikon, that's all part of the decision making process on cost vs quality but in this case as it doesn't affect anything (if it is a fault at all), I wouldn't take advantage of the warranty. I don't know for sure, but I hear these grey import 'warranties' are often more trouble than they're worth.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If it works, use it. Unless there is some sort of migration of the trim ring in or out, or if the front element is loose, I would not be concerned. It may not touch by design.
    Msmoto, mod
  • isowhatisowhat Posts: 7Member
    Okay, I guess I'm just overreacting. I'm going to slap on a UV filter anyway so that should resolve any issue of looseness
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Google Tamron 24-70 and look at pictures of the lens. They all look like that...must be design that it isn't flush with the glass. Unless you can tell the front element or something is actually loose then I wouldn't worry. If it shoots fine I wouldn't worry. Plus if it does actually have a 5 year warranty I wouldn't worry much.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • hello123hello123 Posts: 1Member
    This video explains how you fix it, it's super easy:
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    You dont say what country you are in but if in UK Tamron have to give you a 12 month warrantee by law.
    Can anyone get the video to work?
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Can anyone get the video to work?
    the one 3 posts up ? it works for me ...

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    the one from the user Hello 123 works for me...

now the only problem i could see with that little gap, is that it will get dust.. but i think it is sealed from inside.. so no worries...
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
    OK, now I can see it...must have been my connection.
    Msmoto, mod