Switching SD cards between cameras causing problems.

TaraTara Posts: 36Member
edited March 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi, I never had any problems with SD cards until I got my D610 in addition to my D90. I'm finding when I switch cards between the two cameras it seems to be doing something funny to the cards. Yesterday my card read 0 on my D90 (even though I had reformatted it in the D90) so I had to put in the D610 which then said it had loads of room for photos??? Any idea what is going on? Should I reserve cards for ONLY either or? Thanks.

Comments

• Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    I don't get it. SD and CF cards have been around for a long time. They should just work if you format them in the camera.Is it NIKONS format process that doesn't work.
  • TaraTara Posts: 36Member
    Each camara has a slightly different format. There are even problems between a D800 and a D810.
    So I should designate certain cards for certain cameras? If my card runs out of space on one of the cameras then I usually take the card out of the other… Maybe I need to just buy some more cards then?
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    Cards are relatively cheap items compared to the camera, it doesn't hurt to have more than you need. Watch amazon or other vendors for sales on them. I personally like the 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Each camara has a slightly different format. There are even problems between a D800 and a D810.
    So I should designate certain cards for certain cameras? If my card runs out of space on one of the cameras then I usually take the card out of the other… Maybe I need to just buy some more cards then?

Actually I ran into this lately with my D5000 and D5200. Problem is one camera doesn't see pictures from the other camera. I did a delete all on my D5200 and pictures from the D5000 were still showing up on the computer when I went to look at it. So best to reformat each use in camera if you are switching back and forth...just make sure you have everything off the cards.

As mentioned though SD cards are cheap. Pick up a couple. I got some Samsung pro cards for cheap and they have been great so far.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I concur, it's best to format cards when you switch cameras.

Regarding your last paragraph....so long as you recognize the risk and are willing to live with a failed card. I have two friends that had "cheap" memory cards fail. One had days of shooting in EU and the other one lost his entire Hawaii vacation pictures.

I developed a "back up" strategy for both while on vacation and they both bought external HD's and backed up images to their laptop.

Anyway, back on topic; it makes good sense to format in camera when you switch memory cards between cameras.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    @photobug...I didn't mean cheap as in cheap and not well known brand. I would put the Samsung Pro cards I have up against the Sandisk ones. I waited for a really good deal. They were $7 each for 16 GB and $15 for 32 GB cards...about half their going price on Amazon.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)

Actually I ran into this lately with my D5000 and D5200. Problem is one camera doesn't see pictures from the other camera.

Yes - this happens to me too. Frustrating. I think I will attempt to designate certain SD cards for certain cameras then. Thank you.
    @Tara - I code my SD cards too. That way they don't get mixed. Tara, it's a really good idea to code those SD cards.
    @tcole1983 - okay, understand. I do agree that when buying memory cards shop carefully, it's amazing the price range you encounter.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    ALL: Tara says she is reformatting the cards in camera.

I've always moved cards from one camera to another when one is full and never had a problem. I've also put cards back in my cameras in a random fashion and never had a problem. D7000/7100 and D7100/D750. I always reformat them of course, as is Tara.
    Always learning.
    Well I wish I wasn't having a problem like you spraynpray but for some reason I am, and since I'm not the only one (which is a relief - because that means it's probably not the camera) - I guess the only solution is to have certain cards for each camera and see how that goes. Thanks everyone.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Out of curiosity Tara, what make are the cards you have the problem with?
    Always learning.
    I have a variety - my two big ones are EMTEC and Scandisc… but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The cards don't like being switched between cameras - neither camera can read or see the photo from the other camera (I have D90 and D610) - and sometimes the cards will just say 'no space' when there is… If I reformat the SD card using disk utility (on my mac) it sets them right again but that doesn't help when I'm not at home.
    Well if you think about it the Nikon RAW formats are different. RAW support for new cameras in lightroom always takes a bit for them to implement it. The files are different MP and bit rates in some cases. Its like going from excel 2002 to 2010. If you reformat in camera is should wipe the whole card and be fine, or is that where you are having the problems? I definitely wouldn't shoot with one and while it still had pictures I wanted use it in the other camera. I don't think it would overwrite it, but I can imagine stuff getting screwy there.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    The formats used by the cameras are slightly different between the D90 and D610 just format it in the computer and don't reformat it in the camera. That should fix your issue.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

If you reformat in camera is should wipe the whole card and be fine, or is that where you are having the problems?
    Reformatting in camera will only remove photos on card that have been taken by that camera and not the other one.. and then sometimes, like the other day - it will just show 0 space on either camera even though both cameras are saying all photos have been deleted and there are no photos to view. Once I reformat in my computer at home the card has space again.

Basically - I'm happy enough to just know that it wasn't just me having the issue - and that my camera isn't broken! That's what I was most concerned about since it's fairly new.
    Cool. I just tried it last night. I will have to check them out again to see what it did. Just trying to figure out for my own good too.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    With all of the options available, make sure you format as FAT32.

I don't know if the new very high capacity cards require EXFAT ?.

Reformatting in the camera after formatting in the computer could'nt hurt.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

+1 on reformat in CPU then in camera - haroldp
    With all of the options available, make sure you format as FAT32.
    ... H
    I've been formatting as MS-DOS(FAT)

• bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    Tara said:

I've been formatting as MS-DOS(FAT)
    Hi Tara,

You really should use FAT32 (because of the "inefficient" way FAT writes data, you'll be wasting loads of space on cards that are 16GB or bigger).. Actually, I'm surprised that the cameras work with FAT..

Tara said:
    Reformatting in camera will only remove photos on card that have been taken by that camera and not the other one..
    Erm, are you sure you've been formatting the card in camera and not just doing a "delete all"?

I swap cards between my cameras often and normally format the card as soon as I put it in and irrespective of which camera it was in before, the format wipes it completely clean, names it the camera name and creates the DCIM folder on it. As soon as I take the first picture, the camera then creates the sub-folder e.g. "100D7100" and saves the picture in it.
    The reason the other camera can't see the photos from the first is only because of the subfolder names (for example a D7100 would look for folders called 100D7100, 101D7100 etc. BUT would ignore any folders called 100D5000 etc.)

I've just tested with my cameras and while each camera "ignores" the photos from the other, the amount of free space reported seems right. A format in any of the cameras performs as described and wipes the card completely clean of all photos from all cameras....

Cheers,
    Baldy. ;)
    I
    Tara said:

Erm, are you sure you've been formatting the card in camera and not just doing a "delete all"?

Baldy. ;)
    Yes I'm sure. I delete and then I reformat it so it is blinking.
    I just tried formatting a different way and now the card won't take any photos and is flashing FOR at me? So I formatted it in camera but it's still flashing FOR - What does that mean?

This website implies that MS DOS FAT will do the same thing.
    http://www.hgst.com/support/faqs/how-format-my-drive-use-windows-and-mac-fat32
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but I am certain this is a problem related to the different SD card formats. One is SDHC and the newer, faster, larger capacity cards are SDXC. I am certain it causes problems with certain bodies past and present. The only reason I stumbled upon these troubles was because I suffered through the SD fiasco back in 2009 and 2010 with the newly released Leica M9. Only SDHC cards would work and ideally 16GB max. I wonder if this is a problem for you Tara?
    According to Nikon for the D90 cards up to 32 GB, but from Toshiba and Panasonic should work...SDHC format.
    https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16104/~/approved-sd-cards-for-d90

@Tara...honestly the whole formatting in computer and whatever everyone is talking about. I have always just taken the card from the start put it in the camera and formatted and never had a problem. To me it seems excessive to do the whole in computer formatting and then camera and deleting and all that. Adding something else to the mix can only add to possibly creating problems in the cards....I know others won't agree with this. However I hardly ever take cards out of my cameras and always just transfer with the USB cable. Other than a bad card from Kingston long ago...and taking + transferring ~50k pictures I haven't had an issue with card straight from manufacturer into camera and formatting on camera. With the same card in camera I have just deleted all and been done. I on occasion while attached to USB have just deleted using the computer by deleting the whole folder with pictures.

@Tara...honestly the whole formatting in computer and whatever everyone is talking about. I have always just taken the card from the start put it in the camera and formatted and never had a problem. To me it seems excessive to do the whole in computer formatting and then camera and deleting and all that. Adding something else to the mix can only add to possibly creating problems in the cards....
    Yes I agree - but when my cards won't work anymore on either camera and reformatting them in the camera doesn't get me any space or do anything - formatting them in the computer was the ONLY thing that was making them work again and getting me back my space on them . Otherwise the cards were useless.