What is this....more Nikon Quality Issues

PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
edited March 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
In many of the threads here on NRF there has been good discussions and concerns raised about Nikon Quality Control in their factories. But this issue is not reserved just for the factories...how about the Marketing department and Market Research firm they hire to preform research.

Last week I received an invitation by Nikon to participate in the Owner's Survey to help them understand more about my experience with the Nikon D750. So I selected the "Take the Survey" link. It was a survey for D4S owners. I clicked on one or two items and clicked to go to the next page and it's still D4S. Closed the web page and tried again. Same result so I sent a note to Nikon telling them the link was to the wrong DSLR.

A few days later I received another email with an apology and a statement that they had corrected the error. So I selected "Take the Survey" link and it took me to a D750 survey. Nikon even tells you that the questionnaire will take 25-30 minutes and must be completed by March 16th. So about half way through the questionnaire it went to an older page I had previously completed and it even had my checked boxes selected. I kept going and it happened again and again on the next page. I kept going and finally got to the last questions asking you for other comments on the D750. After listing 10 bullet points I hit save to exit and got an error message. I then started deleting the number of comments and it finally saved. The last comment was their still is an error in the survey questionnaire.

This afternoon I receive the THIRD invitation to participate in the Owner's Survey for the D750. They indicated there was a "technical glitch" and that some of the survey respondents experienced problems taking the survey. They corrected the issue and apologized for the issue and hoped that I would still consider participating.

So I selected the "Take the Survey" button and completed the 30 minute survey.

So what ever happened to "RIGHT FIRST TIME". With the glitches in the factory on the D600/D800/D750 and now their Marketing Research group you wonder what the heck is wrong. Of course, the survey questionnaire could be internal or external issue. I can understand one mistake but it took them 3 times to get it right. This does not make me feel confident in Nikon. What are your thoughts?
D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
|SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2015
    I work in IT and surveys are so rare that its likely it was just hobbled together by a graduate recruited just for the job. Marketing departments know nothing about IT processes.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Good point, that could have been the problem.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    There is a reason that most large companies outsource their surveys to third parties that specialize in making and supporting them.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I haven't been sent a survey in the UK so I think it is most likely a survey built or commissioned by Nikon USA. Although I rub some members up the wrong way by calling a spade a spade when I talk about products, features, quality or anything Nikon, I definitely don't see this as a reason to think there is an endemic company wide quality problem.

Frustrating as this is, it is a storm in a tea cup.
    Always learning.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    You've got a lot more patience thatn I do. I've done surveys after buying new cars and such and have never had this issue. Nikon might need to tighten up their oversight committees.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited March 2015
    If you look at how quickly Nikon's been keeping their end on software compatibility for Windows and Mac OSes, you know you wouldn't depend on Nikon for software... if your life depended on it.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Agree with Heartyfisher. I design websites and this was probably some third-party thing, like Survey Monkey. Besides, I would hardly equate poor information architecture with spotty sensors, hot pixels, or dead focus points.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I do understand where the question comes from and I scratch my head too, but overall I would rather Nikon put money into engineering and quality control for tangible goods.
    I do understand where the question comes from and I scratch my head too, but overall I would rather Nikon put money into engineering and quality control for tangible goods.
    I also agree that is where the money and effort should go to improve quality of the lens and DSLRs.

Its just sloppy work. My expectations are higher than this experience.

@spraynpray said: I definitely don't see this as a reason to think there is an endemic company wide quality problem. Frustrating as this is, it is a storm in a tea cup.

Your right when you look at the big picture. I was disappointed in this sloppy work. It sure didn't meet my expectations. Frustrating is more applicable than disappointed.
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    I think there is cause for concern Photobug. I would like most effort to be put into the camera/lens engineering side of things rather than corporate fluff but sometimes the ethos of a company can go wrong - such as when Banks become obsessed with making themselves richer effectively stealing from their customers -selling them unsuitable financial products, or car companies making unsafe cars or covering up warranty defects. An enlightened and inspiring senior management team can enthuse a whole company with an ethos for good however - so a relentless, unequivocal and tangible commitment to QUALITY or engineering excellence should work its way through every department. Its no good writing neat software if the glass is not polished. Lets hope that after recent wobbles at Nikon someone is talking a grip of the enterprise. Its no good just being good in parts.....
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    The problem is the japanese culture ...a person or team is given a job eg reduce costs weight on the 4800 focus module ...the team cannot be seen not to have done it but dont admit the resulting 3500 unit is worse..thats failure and thats not japanese. But overall I think you would have as many problems with Canon as Nikon if you looked into it .
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited March 2015
    But overall I think you would have as many problems with Canon as Nikon if you looked into it .
    We know that's true, we just don't care! =))
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I would be very cautious about suggesting that a culture has much to do with any issues Nikon may have. This is an issue I do not think we want to get caught into discussing on NRF, i.e., ethnic or cultural issues.

In the US we have more corrupt issues in industry than one can imagine. Most recently revealed in an auto manufacturer's ignition system and years ago in fuel tanks, all being based upon the common human failure surrounding our intense greed.

I suspect this is universal and not culturally bound.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Was not there an old film ( 50+ yrs old maybe ) about a similar court case & car problem and similar agenda of a car company ? Only it was not the ignition but the indicator with a faulty wiring..... causing explosions in rear end collisions ;)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The Ford Pinto fuel tanks exploded in rear end collisions as a result of the fuel filler neck breaking off. Once the lawsuit was settled, the Pinto was discontinued.

And, it is industry attempting to take short cuts, Nikon being one who apparently does this, that results in the issues we have. This has nothing to do with any cultural issues, IMO.
    Msmoto, mod
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Good discussion! I haven't heard Canon having any such problems. It seems there is a significant cliche now with each new Nikon body release.. :(
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    Like Photobug, I got the survey from Nikon USA. And exactly like Photobug, the first survey was for the wrong camera body. I reported to Nikon USA and received a prompt reply. I subsequently received another survey, this time for the correct camera body (D810), but the survey began with some 80%+ pre-completed. I again reported this glitch and Nikon again responded. The third time must be the charm because the third survey seemed to work correctly.
    I too was frustrated but felt it important enough to share my opinion that I was persistent. Had I not had so much invested in Nikon gear I would have deleted the emails after the first snafu. I notice not many on this forum seem to mind criticizing Nikon for something they haven't made or don't like. This was a legitimate opportunity to share an opinion and make suggestions for improvement in gear.
    While this may not be a cultural issue in the sense of ethnicity, locations, etc., it certainly may be an internal cultural issue with Nikon. It may well have been a third party contractor but it went out under Nikon's banner. Nikon needs to learn to dot the is and cross the ts whether it is equipment being produced or information sought from customers.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Good discussion! I haven't heard Canon having any such problems. It seems there is a significant cliche now with each new Nikon body release.. :(
    There have been plenty of issues on the canon side of the aisle as well. Banding and light leaks come to mind. Google it.
    Like Photobug, I got the survey from Nikon USA. And exactly like Photobug, the first survey was for the wrong camera body. I reported to Nikon USA and received a prompt reply. I subsequently received another survey, this time for the correct camera body (D810), but the survey began with some 80%+ pre-completed. I again reported this glitch and Nikon again responded. The third time must be the charm because the third survey seemed to work correctly.
    I too was frustrated but felt it important enough to share my opinion that I was persistent. Had I not had so much invested in Nikon gear I would have deleted the emails after the first snafu. I notice not many on this forum seem to mind criticizing Nikon for something they haven't made or don't like. This was a legitimate opportunity to share an opinion and make suggestions for improvement in gear.
    While this may not be a cultural issue in the sense of ethnicity, locations, etc., it certainly may be an internal cultural issue with Nikon. It may well have been a third party contractor but it went out under Nikon's banner. Nikon needs to learn to dot the is and cross the ts whether it is equipment being produced or information sought from customers.
    +1 and better said than when I did the original post. The devil is in the details. The company I retired from placed a huge emphasis on "RFT" for 10 years in manufacturing, marketing, filings to the government, internal and EXTERNAL customers.
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    The problem with this isn't the survey, though it's a poor reflection on the company, but the possibility that Nikon uses the results from these flawed surveys in their business decisions.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    Well, I do make a difference about what they manufacture and how they interact with their customers. I didn't experience much good samples of those surveys - I think, it's for filling their e-mail adress-stock.

Currently I sent in a complaint about a "comparison tool" they publish on the Swiss and German website. It's plain rubbish, useless, made without any sense for data perception. I got an answer, my complaint will be forwarded and I bet nothing will happen. Within the answer the person attached a PDF, how good the comparison was in the old days - another illusion, there were tons of data, impossible to compare. Why do they waste their and - worse - my time with crap like that? Don't they try themselves?

Another thing - I sent in a couple of items to check and repair. I got a code to check the repair state on "Nikonrepair" - that's a joke. Last time it took ages to see a change, this time I still only know, the stuff arrived. I'm pretty sure, some of the things are already in the works. But a status update? It has to be a surprise…

I think we all know Nikon is not the best example for communication with customers. But then, who is? Also, do I want to communicate with me unless I need some information? But calling this a quality issue of Nikon it's a bit blowing up minor problems.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    There have been plenty of issues on the canon side of the aisle as well. Banding and light leaks come to mind. Google it.

You are right a quick search turned up numerous hits: https://www.google.co.kr/search?q=canon+camera+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=0fQLVbyNOZP78QW0sIG4Dw#newwindow=1&q=canon+banding+issue

Clearly not just a Nikon problem then afterall....

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Or search Canon camera issues. At a quick glance I see just about all the same issues we see here. Memory cards, lens attachments, other problems with the camera turning off or some ERR message.

No company is perfect. I haven't shot Nikon forever, but from the beginning of my dSLR experience and it does seem more issues have arrived with more frequency than when I first started shooting. But then again, maybe it has just become more visible on the net...Nikon Rumors has grown by probably 10 fold since I first came to the old forum.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)