Beware the AF confirm Chip (todays blog 3/17/15)

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited March 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
These are a great device but be aware that they will not programme with any camera more modern than a D90/D700 . You are wasting your time with a D7100 or even a D800. The chip just locks up and is useless. You get no help from the supplier other than being banned from more pruchases,. The article on how to do it is years old and as the writer says I only have a D700. If you have access to a D90 or similar fine . Must have a top screen..D40 etc no good. Many lenses need some dismantling and carefull filling of the mount for fitting so check carefully.
The ones I have fitted and programmed using an older camera are fine and the lens then works with more modern cameras.

Comments

• KellynikonKellynikon Posts: 23Member
    What article are you talking about?
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited March 2015
    blog that is there now on 17.march 2015..scroll down you can see the banana chip..link beneath.
    Its below the spiral staircase pic in your link.
    Just put this problem in the back of your mind in case you get inspired to buy one
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    Yeah I had a similar problem with some cheap Chinese manufactured chips I got off of Amazon a while back. They worked once and weren't reprogrammable. The Dandelion chips don't have this problem from what I have read but are a lot more expensive. I am planning on trying it again in the near future but a little gun shy after last time.
  • Intent to try one on my D600 pffff. Thanks for the warning, very helpful.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
    Ton ..I did find ..if I remember right that you could programme the first two steps with a 7100 but if you went furthur it locked up. So perhaps stop there as it will work fine. I did suggest to the seller he should offer to programme them before shipment...did he NO.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Intent to try one on my D600 pffff. Thanks for the warning, very helpful.
    The D600 has an AI metering tab, and CPU data input, why would you need to chip any lenses?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited March 2015
    Its an AF confirm chip..allows you to use modes other than Manual
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2015
    That already works if you input the CPU data, complete waste of money to buy the chip unless you are using an entry level body.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I guess it would be useful to chip the lens if you want embedded EXIF data and the focal length. Not sure about aperture though.
    That already works if you input the CPU data, complete waste of money to buy the chip unless you are using an entry level body.
    There are odd focal lengths that cannot be inputted. I think there's a Zeiss or something macro lens that's 125mm.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    Of course PB-PM, I did not thought of that, but I have old lenses and bodies too. Seemed easy to do. I'am not so handy, due to the warning from Pstnbroke I better stay away from it.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    edited March 2015
    Not sure if it's the same thing but the AF confirm chip in the Samyang lenses, allows all the modes, EXIF data and the use of all the exposure modes, as I recall. I've always considered it quite useful considering the small extra price and no need to tell the camera what lens your using.

I don't have any older lenses that are "chipped" so I'm not sure if you get all the same functions.
    Post edited by Nuke on