Hybrid Viewfinders (Use Of Transparent LCD in OVF) in DSLRs

PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
edited April 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I was thinking about the idea of hybrid optical viewfinders this morning, and trying to figure out why none of the large DSLR manufactures have started to use the transparent LCD's in the optical viewfinder more effectively. Keep in mind that I am not talking about an electric viewfinder, just using the technology to give the user more information in the viewfinder. Currently Nikon does use this somewhat, for the low battery warning and grid lines for example, but there are way more possibilities.

Here are the possibilities that could be unlocked by further use of this technology:
1. Live histogram in the viewfinder
2. Display blocked shadows and blown out areas, the Matrix meter already knows this, so there could be a way of showing this to the user. The LCD could simply blink or display "+" symbols in blow out areas and "-" in blocked shadows.
3. Movable grid lines and rule of thirds, gold rule etc, not the fixed ones we have now.
4. A form of Quick menu, aka "i" menu or My Menu.
5. Battery status (% charge, not bars like the top LCD)
What else?

If Nikon was to use transparent LCD's to display information in the optical viewfinder, how much would you like to see? Should the information simply be black? Should colour information be shown, or would that be too distracting? Would you want this at all? It could easily be cycled or turned off like the rear LCD, so there aren't many downsides really.
If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.

Comments

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I would really like to be able to see the histogram and blown out areas in the viewfinder. Then I would not have to let go of the viewfinder to check the exposure. The best thing would be if it could be layered on top of the image at the push of a button. Great idea!
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    It would seem the world is moving towards a pure electronic viewfinder where all of this and more is possible. I think they are not going to invest in a more expensive optical viewfinder. I think it's a great idea however.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Except there is no change to the optical viewfinder itself, simply adding more features to the already present transparent LCD.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2015
    I am far too busy taking the photos to even read what is in the viewfinder now or to chimp so I dont want more clutter in there thanks. A camera that talks to me when things are wrong like a camcorder I have would be nice and a focus system that works 100% but thats another story !!
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    edited April 2015
    This thread was not intended as a place to debate the merits of an optical viewfinder verses an electronic viewfinder, we already have threads for that if you want to talk about that. Everyone who has used both knows the strengths and weakness of both systems and is beyond the scope of this discussion.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited April 2015
    I am far too busy taking the photos to even read what is in the viewfinder now or to chimp so I dont want more clutter in there thanks.
    Which is why such features would have to be something a user could turn off or on as desired. Regardless of your shooting style, many other people find information in the viewfinder helpful when making shooting decisions. If they didn't, camera manufactures would not have included it in the first place. Personally I'd rather take the information provided and exploit it to reduce the need for reshooting due to poor exposures.

Not sure what this has to do with chimping, since image review in the viewfinder was never mentioned, and isn't overly helpful anyway. The entire point of using the transparent LCD for the mention things is to reduce the need for chimping and checking the rear LCD in the first place.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Look at the Fuji X-Pro1
    .. H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

Look at the Fuji X-Pro1
    .. H
    Yes that is a good starting point, since Fuji is using a transparent LCD to show additional in the optical finder. While that system is hybrid in the sense of having an electronic and optical finder, the optical part is more interesting to me. Frankly seeing that feature in the X-Pro1 and the Fuji X100 series cameras is one of the reasons that I'm puzzled as to why none of the DSLR makers have exploited this technology more.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Look at the Fuji X-Pro1
    .. H
    Yes that is a good starting point, since Fuji is using a transparent LCD to show additional in the optical finder. While that system is hybrid in the sense of having an electronic and optical finder, the optical part is more interesting to me. Frankly seeing that feature in the X-Pro1 and the Fuji X100 series cameras is one of the reasons that I'm puzzled as to why none of the DSLR makers have exploited this technology more.
    I was going to mention the X-Pro 1, but that's not really a DSLR- they can do it more easily because it has a rangefinder-like viewfinder.

In any case, Fuji hasn't replaced the X-Pro 1, it's a bit long in the tooth now.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2015

........................If Nikon was to use transparent LCD's to display information in the optical viewfinder, how much would you like to see?
    nothing that is not there already but it would be nice to enlarge or high light, one item. say shutter speed or horizon

I cant see the point in a histogram it is very easy to check that after a test shot

Post edited by sevencrossing on

I cant see the point in a histogram it is very easy to check that after a test shot
    Why check it afterwards when you can get it where you want it before you even take the shot?
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @sevencrossing: When I shoot birds I most often don't have the time to check the screen. It is important to keep the eye in the viewfinder.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2015
    @sevencrossing: When I shoot birds I most often don't have the time to check the screen. It is important to keep the eye in the viewfinder.
    +1
    We all work in different ways
    I rarely need or look at the histogram, which is why I have no need for it in the view finder
    When I do need it, I have time to do test shots

Post edited by sevencrossing on